Monday, May 25, 2020

Plans on Memorial Day

On Saturday, I took a nap. Then, when I got up, it was late, but I was sleepy very early. Saturday night I slept ten hours, woke about 9 am and at 11 am, I took a nap until 5 pm. This happens when I have a uti, which I think I do.

Since I slept so long on Sunday, I saw none of the war movies. Some we saw were not actual wars, like Casablanca. It took place during a war, but there are no charges and people fighting each other. Well, not much.

When we were at the park Saturday in my town, I told Tommy we needed to find a place here in his town or surrounding towns to sit and eat lunch in a peaceful place. He immediately said we could go to the Bessemer depot. No, no trees, he said. It is not that he has no taste. His father was an engineer so he grew up immersed in trains. He said he often went to the train depot or somewhere in Irondale to sit for hours and watch trains. This is the place where the Irondale Café became the Fried Green Tomatoes café. I am quite sure this is soothing to him, as soothing as trees are to me.

Since it is going to be hot today and rainy this afternoon, I want to go early and maybe eat breakfast at the Bessemer Depot and sit to see trains. This afternoon, it is going to rain. I need to plant the tomatoes brought to me. They are double their height as when I acquired them.

Today, I am going to cook a huge pack of chicken thighs along with lots of carrots, fewer potatoes,  an onion and garlic. I will use one of the spice cake mixes with lots of apple chunks in it. So, meals today in two pans works for me. But, there is so much peeling and chopping that I dread it. There will be enough meat for about ten servings and vegetables for maybe five servings.

On Sunday night, we watched McClintock with John Wayne and two of his children. We have both seen it multiple times. The movie ended at 3 am, and I awoke hot at 6:15 am, so I will suffer today. It is now almost 8 am and I am sitting in the dark in the living room, typing.

Today, I have declutter plans. Tommy brought his tool box that belonged to his father into the house from the utility room last week to give me the drill. Now, it sits here since he cannot bend to pick it up. It is very heavy, but if I can just get it up so far, he can take it from me and put it on his walker to return it to the shelf in the utility room.

Plus, there are things just shoved into his dining room since I cannot see in there day or night. I will have to use a flashlight to see the food I have there. He refuses to get an electrician for the switch or ceiling fixture, whichever it is. One day, I am going to remove the switch plate and see if the wire is off the connection in there. I can fix that without even turning off the main breaker.

I am now getting sleepy again, but it is so hot in the bedroom. The chill of this room will not last long enough for me to sleep much.

I will let you know how these plans panned out.

When I was a child, we went to the airport to watch airplanes land and take off, mostly land. Today, I will watch trains. Have you ever gone to watch trains or airplanes or boats or anything like this? Is there a nostalgia connected with it?

8 comments:

  1. We went to the air show (EAA) in Oshkosh several times. Also saw airplanes as a child at the airport. Been on trains but never watched them just to watch but there is a train museum we were at and saw them there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann,
      An air show would be exciting. Tommy would love a train museum. so would I, but him moreso.

      Delete
  2. When we were kids we would go and park at the end of one of the runways and the planes would take off right over your head. It was very loud but kind of magical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      That is exciting. We parked by a road along the side of the road along the runway. We would have probably parked at the end of the runway, but I don't think there was a road there. We weren't the only people airplane watching.

      Delete
  3. Going to the airport was a big thing for us in Pittsburgh. Had to pay a dime to park and 5¢ to go out on the observation deck. My dad took us about once a month after church. Once, we got to go and see my aunt walk across the tarmac and get into a plane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      Wow! that sound like a great outing. I never heard of charging, but I also never knew people could go on the observation deck from outside the airport. I remember the days we walked on the tarmac, too. Thanks for that memory.

      Delete
  4. When my kids were very young, we got free tickets to a baseball game in Louisville, KY. Took them to the game, then drove by the airport afterwards. Sat and watched planes land and take off for a while. It was nighttime and so neat to watch. My daughter mentions it every once in a while and I'm always amazed that she has that memory, as she was probably only five years old at the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      I never got to watch at night that I remember. I remember things that happened when I was two, so I am not surprised. I have lots of memories from when I was four. I wonder if watching airplanes is popular now as a treat. Thanks.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...