Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Lunch with Friends, a First

While trying to determine the location of a friend in fragile health and her husband, I have been in touch with another friend in Cullman. I call about once a week or every ten days. As I was contemplating calling her on Sunday, I had an idea.

When I called her, I suggested Tuesday we meet at the lake where we eat lunch and share a picnic table under a pavilion when we picked up our to-go lunches. She thought that was a great idea. Since we have to go another day for a doctor appointment, I was not sure Tommy would want to go just for lunch. Well, he thought it was a great idea, even when I pointed out we had to go again on Wednesday.

We picked up our lunch and waited until they came and got theirs. Then, they followed us to the lake. The location of the picnic table was up to Tommy because of his inability to walk and his use of the walker.

The pavilions are for rent. Well, we did not need to rent it, just borrow. There was a sign that said the one I chose as best for him had a sign that said it was rented for the day. Tommy was hesitant. I do NOT believe the sign. I told him we would leave if we were "caught." No one ever said a word to us. As I pointed out to the other couple, I think signs are just a suggestion, not chiseled  in stone. We stayed.

Lunch was chicken parmigiana, green beans, diced potatoes in some sort of sauce, a roll, two cookies. We carried a bottle of water each and the other couple shared a soft drink. I took us a dish towel to use on the table as a place mat. Who knows which ducks have been on the table. 

While there, a drake came to lunch. Tommy was going to feed him, but I chased him away--the drake not Tommy! Every duck in the lake would have come.  So, we had a good visit with our friends. He is a former minister, retired. There were many birds who came to the roll my friend threw to the birds. Poor little sparrows backed right off when blackbirds came.

This was the first time Tommy and I had ever gotten out of the car to eat. Usually, we go further around the lake and sit in the car. Tables are difficult to get to in that area. Today, the breeze was blowing steadily from the lake. I hoped it would blow our respective germs away if we breathed out germs.

We stayed from about 11:30 am until 1:45 pm. After that, I had my android activated.

For dinner, we had the same meal since we got four meals. They encourage us to get four instead of two. I took all the breading from the chicken and left it. The meal was delicious so not hard to eat twice in one day.

Since there was a food bank, we stopped by there. We got enough frozen meat for about ten days since we don't make a pig of ourselves by eating way too much meat. There were about ten cans of food, half of which we will eat. Plus, I chose strawberries and kale from the vegetable/fruit list. Also--two huge croissants, eclairs. The beet juice will go down the drain and I can use the glass bottle for taking milk with me.  The other five cans I do not want will be given away.

I think we might meet them for lunch as long as the weather is nice. It was a good day!

Have you met friends for al fresco dining?

8 comments:

  1. I haven't eaten al fresco but I have to say it's a very goodsolution to being sociable as well as safe. I read that ventilation is possibly more important than hand washing in avoiding this virus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      I suppose that it is a little too late to eat out doors in AU right now. We were ventilated with a wind that blew over Tommy and into me. And, it went over the female to her husband. So, it appeared that we were not sharing the same wind with the other couple. I agree that ventilation has been touted as important.

      Delete
  2. That's nice you were able to meet up with friends and enjoy each other's company. It sounded perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa,
      It was perfect--weather, company, no bugs...lol. I want to do this again.

      Delete
  3. So glad you were able to meet up with friends. We try to dine outside, but Ben has a fear of wind and bugs, so many times we opt not to since I just don't want to deal with it. Bill and I try to dine out on our porch at least once a week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel,
      These were church lunch friends. Ben and I could be friends! The wind bothers my chest and allergies. Bugs! I was afraid wasps and ants would come. It was too windy for wasps to visit us.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Kim,
      It was. Tommy and I are looking forward to next time.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...