Sunday, June 28, 2020

Food/Eating Plan

Finally, everything from the refrigerator freezer is in the new upright freezer. There are things I barely remember. Most of it is meat with more pork and ground beef than I remember. If all the small bags of strawberries were in one container, there might be a half gallon of strawberries. There was one purchased 10 oz. package of field peas. A tiny lone 4 oz cup of frozen peaches is now being eaten  by Tommy when he should be eating the fresh peaches I bought yesterday. I didn't say anything because he was so happy to find it...lol. There are little vegetables and fruit.

During five commercial breaks we have gone to the kitchen to finish up what I started. He puts the basket I bought on his walker seat while I hand him packages of food. Then, he rolls it to the new freezer and I put it in where I want it. He hands it to me, especially the larger packages of meat. It is hard for me since my left shoulder and arm do not move like they should.

The door is for bread and butter and frozen fruit. The top shelf has two pie crusts I thought were used up and two pounds of walnuts which I hate and Tommy refused to eat for some reason. ??? The two pounds of pecans will be eaten now that I know where it is.

The middle shelf is for cooked meats that I put into the freezer as they were left over or needed to be frozen since there would be too much being left in the refrigerator for too long.

The lower shelf has packages of store ground beef, ground pork, and cuts of meat. The uncooked chicken goes there, too. The bin below holds several turkey breasts, some bone-in and some boneless. And, one turkey I just put in last week.

The plan is to eat every bit of meat that I have cooked and frozen. It looks like I won't have to cook for more than three weeks, at least. It's mostly chicken. I think there is half a cooked boneless turkey breast. It would have to be the oldest cooked meat in the freezer. Tommy was looking and sounding happy with what we found.

If I can find some strawberry Jello, I am going to make a poke cake. I also found a box of Cool Whip from Christmas. And, the two frozen pie crusts from Christmas were hiding under everything.

Now, I need to freeze the pie apples. Or, maybe I will make an apple pie. LOL...my ambition is greater than my energy. So, all this will be slow going.

I need another shelf for the freezer. The packages of ground beef and pork look flat, but they are not and slide out of the freezer. Plus, I am going to get bins to hold things in place in the freezer.

Now, when frozen vegetables are on sale, I can stock up. Plus, I can find it in the freezer after I store it. It is amazing how much food I had in the ref/freezer. It was so full I could only take out the latest purchases. After having a freezer for about 30 years, I missed it. 

I still did not do an inventory. Later.

For today I have a frozen crock pot dinner I will make for us. 

Now, I can put ice trays in the top of the ref/freezer. I have missed ice. Do you love your freezer as much as I do?

4 comments:

  1. I did not have a freezer until after my mom died and I love having it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      I am very surprised that you did not have a freezer since it seemed you got things from the freezer all the time, and you seemed to have so much food. Freezers are wonderful.

      Delete
  2. I have 4 deep freezers and 3 refrig freezers, we were thinking of going down one of the bigger ones until this pandemic hit. Nope I will just continue to stock and stay home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      I think my friend, Charlie, has the same. He just keeps stockpiling and never uses any of it. I am not getting rid of anything at all because who knows what will happen to everything.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...