Monday, June 29, 2020

Wasted Time, Gas, Energy

I need to send a fax and could not find a place here to send one. So, we drove all the way to Homewood and went to a Office Max/Depot. I was exhausted and hot by the time we got there. I spend $17 to send a local fax of nine pages.

While we were there, I suggested we go to the bread store on 150. Tommy said it was no savings in time or distance, thus no savings in gas. I bought four loaves of the bread I like, a package of white hot dog buns like he likes, and one package of chocolate cupcakes with frosting in the middle. We share this, never eating a whole pack. Buying four loaves of bread will keep us from making the trip for about 3-4 weeks. It is nine miles from here to bread store with nothing else on the way. 

Then, we stopped at Publix so I could get a few things, chief among them was strawberry Jello for the poke cake. The assistant manager brought an electric cart to me. Suddenly, I had as idea. Since he was not a teen worker, I supposed he might know.

After telling him we went to Homewood to send a fax, I asked him if he knew a closer place in Hueytown. "Right here," he said. I cannot believe that we went so far and this was a mile from us. Yes, it was listed under their other services behind the service counter. So, now I know but may never have to send another fax after sending two in four days.

The first time I ever went into Publix and got a cart, the manager told me to call them and an electric  cart would be brought to me. I do use this service.

I did tell Tommy we needed to use the other bits of bread before we opened the new loaves. So, he agrees and will be good about us not storing bits of bread and buns. However, at some point I will put some of the leavings in a bag for bread pudding this winter.

Yesterday, I had a crockpot meal all packaged together and frozen. I put the roast in the crockpot almost fully frozen, put the bacon bits in scrambled eggs, poured out all but a tsp of the bbq sauce, did not use the rub, and cooked the collard greens in a pot on the stove. The roast beef was wonderful without salt and pepper and just one tsp of the bbq sauce in half cup of water and poured over the top. Of course, I tasted it. 

Since I had thawed cooked, frozen chicken breasts on Saturday, we had chicken again Sunday with the collards and applesauce I made. The roast will wait as we are having chicken breast again in another iteration. Tommy is just happy to be fed.

Last week, I took all the clothes I bought back to Belk's and could not return them for the price I paid because I could not find my card I used to purchase them. I searched my purse in the car while at the lake. Last night, I lay in bed and emptied my purse again. The card was between the pages of a small pad. whew! I fear the store will close again before I get these clothes off my card.

Sunday, Tommy let me use his cc to buy a Cuisinart Ice 100 Ice cream maker with two freezing bowls. It was reduced almost 50%. We should enjoy this. I intend to use bananas in mine and something else in his. 

When I get hot, it always causes digestive grief for me. So, todays' wasted trip wore me out and the resulting upset left me weak. 

Storms were predicted for most of the day. They are else where, not right here. The blue sky and tall, stacked fluff clouds. Well, it is 6 pm and some rain should be here soon. 

Does wasted driving make you tired? Does the heat cause you intestinal distress? 

14 comments:

  1. I usually check grocery store customer service counters for office support like services. They do nice job helping out for things-I bet it was cheaper than an Office store as well. Faxes are rare now though-Everything Is scanned and e-mailed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      In the past I have checked grocery stores for fax service and it did not exist. Yes, their prices are much cheaper. FAX is what I was asked to send.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. For the last ten years, the heat has worn me out. I try to avoid it as much as I can.

      Delete
  3. The ice cream maker sounds like a great idea! We are experience a heat wave and it is about to do me in. I stay inside and piddle around the house. Outside in the heat is just to overwhelming for me these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa,
      I am so excited. I am so over making ice cream in even an electric cream maker. I cannot wait to get into the car when we go out, but then the car takes forever because it is dark and sitting in the sun. I need to become a night person!

      Delete
  4. A few years back I got real sick from either the heat or the sun. I had been out working around in my flower beds and then was messing around taking pictures. I noticed that the sun actually made the top of my head feel like it was pounding. Then I was suddenly weak in the legs. I managed to getup the steps and into the house to the kitchen where I was going to put cold water on my face, I got sick in the kitchen garbage can. I was able to get a dish towel wet with cold water as I was starting to get tunnel vision where everything is starting to turn black. I got back to the living room and sat down and put the cold dishtowel on my face and neck. I didn't pass out, but I was so weak and sickish for the rest of the day and evening, I just stayed in the chair. I called the doctor and she thought I had just gotten dehydrated. I think it might have been what people used to call heat stroke.

    Be very careful not to let it happen to you. It came on so suddenly, and ever since I am unable to be in the sun or heat long at all before I start feeling weak and sickish, and I had always spent all kinds of time in the Missouri heat and sun until then.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie,
      One summer I was a vendor at an outdoor craft show and drank a two liter coke and two liters of water without needing to go to the bathroom. I drank the liquid from 6:30 am to 2 pm, and I went to the bathroom at 6 am. Suddenly, I was weak, feeling like I was going to pass out. People called the EMTs and I was in bad shape, tunnel vision like you had. I used cold to my face and neck and arms. Finally, about 4 pm I needed to go to the bathroom. I definitely was dehydrated. I was barely able to drive home 75 miles that night. I cancelled all outdoor crafts shows and never booked another.

      This was 30 years ago, and I feel vulnerable now. You are correct as it comes on suddenly. The Alabama sun is relentless. I do understand. Thanks for that. Sometimes, it helps to hear things happen to others, too.

      Delete
  5. SO sorry you had a tiring day. The heat makes me tired now. I went out with the kids this morning to a park that doesn't have a lot of shade and after about an hour or so I got dizzy because I was dehydrated that quickly in the heat. I told the kids that tomorrow is going to be water day-- I will turn on sprinklers and spray them with a hose! And now I want to get an ice cream maker! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel,
      Water and shade could be the order of the day for lots of folk. This ice-cream maker was only $87 after tax and with free shipping. It makes 1.5 or 2 qts. of ice cream. With two bowls for freezing, one batch can be made immediately after the first. I am excited.

      Delete
  6. I can't take the heat/sun either, but then I never have been able to. I was just pottering in the garden today for about 30 minutes and my sister Facetimed me. When she saw my face she said "what on earth have you been up to?" It's weird because she can sit in the sun all day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. treaders.
      When I was a child, I could last all day, much longer than my siblings. As a teen and adult, I stayed in the sun all day. At about 60, I turned into my mother. Sun and heat wipe me out. I plan to spend 30 minutes at 3 pm to put in tomatoes.

      Delete
  7. An hour in the car and I exhausted and I don't have to be driving. Weird since I used to drive 10 hrs to work in GA twice a month for years. Heat just kills my gut.... I have taken to putting an ice pack on my stomach to keep it "cooL"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      Just riding in the car does exhaust me. I think it is because it makes my back hurt, but also just riding. I suppose I can put an ice pack on my stomach and see if that calms it down.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...