Thursday, June 25, 2020

Freezing Foods in My New Freezer

It took me several days to be able to clean the freezer. Now, I am staggering across the kitchen changing things from the refrigerator's freezer to the upright freezer. Plus, things are plunging to the floor. I thought Tommy was going to help me with the avalanche that happens, but he thought I would tell him to come help. I did, but he kept going...lol.

I have found multiple pieces of chicken frozen in single servings, all cooked. I intend to use these up before I put more single servings in the freezer. Well, I froze 4 baked chicken tenders that will make two meals for two. And, the two thighs in one package will make two meals for him while I eat breast.

This works well for me! I can also freeze more cooked vegetables or blanched ones, whichever happens.

Tonight, I cut two huge bell peppers and have them quick freezing before going into freezer bags. When I put them in bags, I may cut more tonight.

Tommy is peeling, coring, and slicing apples for me to season and freeze for pies or whatever.

I bagged all the bread/buns/breadthings and have them stored on the door of the freezer. Also, I have strawberries and blueberries stored there. The bottom bin and shelf are for raw poultry. Other raw meats will be to one side of the raw poultry shelf.

There are about 12 lbs. of baby carrots waiting to be eaten or frozen. Likewise, there are probably 12 lbs. of of onions waiting for me.

Have you ever frozen potatoes? The internet and everything I know says NO. But, frozen potatoes are sold in the grocery store.

At the market last Saturday, I bought 6 freestone peaches for $6 and 6 tomatoes for $6. We are eating these, not freezing. OKAY,  he says they are too juicy. I will slice and freeze two or three of them. I could eat them all at one sitting, but I cannot have much fiber.

Tonight, Tommy had baked chicken tender, leftover baked potato,  diced tomatoes and Bell pepper with dressing, and a peach. I had baked chicken tender, baked potato with no salt, tomato with dressing, and peach.

It will be wonderful to have a freezer full of food that I do not have to process right that moment in order to have dinner! If there is another shutdown, I am not confident things I want in the way of food or supplies will be available.

My tomatoes will not be enough to can or freeze, just to eat. Freezing is much easier on me than canning, so I may go to the Farmer's Market on Finley Ave. and get a bushel of tomatoes and put those up in the freezer. It would be better to just get a basket and freeze those. Easier.

What are you freezing or canning?





13 comments:

  1. I use my freezer all the time. I have some zucchini I need to make into zoodles and freeze. Other than that nothing is producing enough to freeze right now. I might buy a bushel of okra from homestead farms and if I do I will freeze some and make and can okra pickles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      When I had a freezer before, I did, too. Where is homestead farms? I have zucchini but my spiralizer is another gone things. sigh. This freezer will save time and money. I think Tommy likes it. My red bell peppers are blooming, so pepper will go right into the freezer.

      Delete
    2. Anne,
      Never mind. I found Holmestead Farm. Tommy is looking at directions to get there. It sounds nice.

      Delete
  2. What I have read about people freezing potatoes is for French fries. They sliced them up and then partially baked them before freezing. One website said "Potatoes are among the vegetables not recommended for freezing raw because of their high water content. However, par-cooking the potatoes by boiling or frying allows you to freeze potatoes without discoloration or mushiness. Waxy potatoes freeze better than starchy ones, as they have a lower moisture content." It would be nice to have a quick meal in the freezer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ladybug,
      Thanks. I knew they sold them frozen! I will try parboiling them first. I really don't need to eat so many potatoes as I have right now. I suppose Tommy better get peeling.

      Delete
  3. Your garden will last into winter with your freezer. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam,
      Hopefully, I will have lots to freeze. I know we cannot eat all the peppers I am growing. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. So this sounds like since you have a new freezer at Tommy's you plan to stay there with him long-term? Just wondering what is the situation with your house/lot back in Cullman - you haven't mentioned anything about it for so long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SusieQ,
      Freezers can be moved. In the meantime, we have to eat! No news. Well, I get too much flack when I say anything.

      Delete
  5. https://pickyourown.org/freezing_potatoes.htm

    anything that is in the freezers at the store you can do at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      That is what I thought. So, I will go ahead and see what happens...lol.

      Delete
  6. Freezers are so useful aren't they.

    Potatoes are among the vegetables not recommended for freezing raw because of their high water content. However, par-cooking the potatoes by boiling or frying allows you to freeze potatoes without discoloration or mushiness.
    This article may be helpful
    https://www.leaf.tv/articles/how-to-freeze-uncooked-potatoes/

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      So very useful. I will go ahead and try some and freeze and then see how they do. Thanks.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...