Friday, June 26, 2020

Colossal Waste! And Squash Catastrophe!

I did not cry over spilt milk. I screamed to the top of my lungs. It was just a short scream, though.

As we came from a Monday food pickup, I had Tommy stop the car and I got out to look in the back seat and adjust things. I backed away to close the car door and was showered with milk from my hair to shoes. A gallon of milk fell out, landed on its bottom--sort of on the side of the bottom.

And, I shrieked with alarm. Yep, milk in my face and hair, my midsection soaked and milk in my shoes will cause me to shriek. The milk hit with such force! Three quarts!

As I closed the door and got back into the front seat, Tommy asked me if any got on me as I  am still gasping and wiping my face with only my hand. I had to ride home in milk. The inside of my shoes were soaked. After wiping with a wet cloth, I put them on the air intake in the hall where they still rest. 

On Tuesday, we went out the front door and I was shocked since my largest squash was gone. All I could think of is that someone stole it. My stolen plants and pots from last year are still in my mind. Nope! It had fallen off the porch. Wind was not the problem since there had been none I could remember from yesterday. 

Then, I thought maybe a cat had rubbed up against it. That happened to my Hosta in pots.

This huge squash plant leans from the pot in the direction of the sun. So, I think it must have gotten top-heavy and fallen since there is no ground for it to lean on. So, now I must go out and put more dirt in it and figure out how to turn it a bit. 

This may have been a pot that I put empty bottle into to save on dirt. I don't think so. Lots of branches were broken, but squash plants have thick stems, so maybe they will heal. I might have to pick tiny squash. We will see. 

As of this writing, I either have pleurisy or pulled a muscle in my back. I carried a gallon of milk into the house, something I am barely capable of holding. Then, this morning I picked up a huge pot of squash plant and dirt. ugh, cannot yawn or take a deep breath. Sneezing and coughing hurt, too. 

Tell me about your experience that parallels my milk bath, if you will. Have you ever had a pot in a plant just fall over?

6 comments:

  1. I dropped a huge thawed icecream bucket of borsche (my mother in law made it) on the kitchen floor - it is red and went everywhere all over the kitchen and myself. I was still picking up pieces of beets days later even after thoroughly cleaning everything. Sorry about your squash. Hopefully more grow quickly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheapchick,
      My milk spill/splash seems nothing compared to the borsche. And, at least I was outside. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I dropped a whole quart of honey on the kitchen floor and since it was in a glass jar it broke and made a very sticky mess. Took a long time to clean up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann,
      Oh no! I just cannot even imagine how bad that was. Honey is hard to clean up, anyway. Having glass involved is hard to even think about.

      Delete
  3. Holy Gus! I haven't had anything close to this. Shudder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hopefully, The milk catastrophe and the two others are colossal. I suppose I am lucky mine was outdoors.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...