Tuesday, June 30, 2020

I Could Easily Make This a Habit

Today, as Tommy and I left the house, I was shocked at the size of the package outside the door on the porch. It took a struggle to get the huge package inside. Tommy helped me by yanking on the package and making me fall on my face as I was pushing it across the carpet with feet outside.

Right on the package I could see it was the Cuisinart ice cream maker. Cuisinart told me over the phone it would be here July 2. So, today was a great surprise...a nice surprise.

Now, if packages would just arrive every day. I like this. I could get into the habit of opening boxes.

We finally got the package in and situated. I had to cool off from gardening. The bowls for freezing are shockingly heavy. The Cuisinart box like you would find on a store shelf was 26 pounds. Now, I know that I cannot lift 26 pounds or carry that much. I had to "walk" the inner box to me.

Oh, the packaged box only filled less than half of the corrugated shipping box! I could have ordered two and both would have fit in that box.

I am going to wash it in a few minutes. Since the inner bowl, the freezing bowl must be frozen from 16-24 hours, no ice cream for us until tomorrow. I have no idea what I will make first.

The bowls are huge and very heavy. One is much heavier than the base! Since they are so large, they will need almost a whole shelf in the freezer for them if I make two bowls at a time.

This Cuisinart ice cream maker is half-price now. For a stay-at-home treat and to save money for a person with several children, this would be a bargain.

I am looking forward to no gums and oils and other additions in my ice cream.

At 2:45 today, we went out to plant some of my vegetables. My goodness it was hot! I wore a short dress and sandals and should have been more covered up because of the sun. I had to water all four of the reservoirs the boxes, pull out produce from the other three boxes. Tommy helped with pulling up old food plants.

I planted two half-dead tomato plants--Better Boy. I left the two well-watered zucchini and another plant for another day, left them on top of the box. I carried out the snake and left it on a box. These are grow boxes full of soil mix. I had to come in because sweat was in my eyes, and I felt woozy. I got so sweaty. It was 91F.

Tommy worked with me the whole time, so it would have taken me 1.5 hours if I had been alone. I do the plant stuff and he turns on and off water and drags the hose to me. He sits on his walker and I drag a wicker chair about and sit to plant and work fertilizer into the soil and water.

I cannot wait for squash and zucchini and tomatoes to be ready to eat.






15 comments:

  1. MMMM. what fruit is in season around you. I'd go for that flavor of ice crema, or maybe just straight up vanilla with fruit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peaches are in season and we both love peaches, so I am thinking peaches after I go to the market. We both like chocolate and vanilla. I want banana but he hates bananas. I have strawberries in the freezer and they are still cheap. I think I will buy strawberries tomorrow. Strawberry was his suggestion just now. All the recipes call for cream! I can handle just milk.

      Delete
  2. You're making me want an ice cream machine now :)

    I too love fresh produce. We've been eating cilantro that I planted. It tastes so much better than store bought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A freezer with one bowl might be even cheaper. When I did not want to crank up the electric ice cream freezer or buy ice or salt, I would make up a concoction in a bowl in the freezer and scrape it down until it was hard enough.

      Delete
  3. My husband and kids have been wanting me to get an ice cream maker lately. I might look into getting one. Yumm...fresh peach ice cream! Where did you order your ice-cream machine from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Williams Sonoma--Cuisinart ice 22 for $79.95

      Delete
    2. Rachel,
      If you can afford a bit more, I got the Cuisinart Ice-100. It has a built in compressor, so no pre-freezing. I literally mix milk, sugar and cream, pop it in the machine, turn it on, and about 40 minutes later, have ice-cream.
      https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/cuisinart-ice-100-compressor-ice-cream-maker/?catalogId=22&sku=831461&cm_ven=PLA&cm_cat=Google&cm_pla=Electrics%20%3E%20Ice%20Cream%20Makers&msclkid=2fd1df3804561a0f96a581c4beaab48a&adlclid=ADL-f6d06d14-da28-4ec2-8d9a-34d7742a982c
      Keep your eyes posted on the used market--I found mine on NextDoor, just by accident. The woman who was selling it said her kids bought it for her and her husband, but now that they are all on vegan/keto/Whole30, none of them eat ice-cream, so it sat in her pantry.

      Delete
    3. I was tempted to put my Ice-100 on the floor of my bedroom closet about 3 weeks after I bought it, we (I) were eating so much ice-cream. When you can mix milk, sugar and cream, pop it in the machine, and boom, have ice-cream 40 minutes later--well, the temptation was huge. But then cooler weather came. We're back at it again. Peanut butter is our favorite lately.

      Delete
  4. wished I had found it at half priced. My ice cream bowl for my kitchenaid took a crap... nice blue crap in the freezer...what a mess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You still can at Williams Sonoma-Cuisinart ice 22 for $79.95.

      Delete
  5. Do you think you will be shopping more often or less often now that you have a freezer? It could go either way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rhymes,
      I will definitely shop less. Already, with the bread I have saved at least two bread trips that are 18 miles, 9 each way.

      Delete
  6. You are making me think I need an ice cream machine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle,
      Maybe you do! Right now at Williams Sonoma they are on sale half price for the two bowl one. ~$79

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...