Wednesday, July 1, 2020

My First Harvest! Shopping

Tuesday, after planting the two tomatoes, we came back to water the plants on the porch. I have two squash plants in large pots. One fell off the porch a while ago, and the other was heading the same way as none of the plant was in the pot, just hanging straight down in front of the porch. Well, the roots were hanging on. 

Tommy came around and held the plant up while I pulled the pot back. So, the squash plant rests on bricks. Since I don't think the hot bricks will be good for the plant or squash on the plant, I have a new plan.

Before I forget, Tommy said the first squash was sort of ready but still small. I had him break it off. He was going to pull it. The squash was 5 1/4 inches long. I cooked it for our dinner and we halved it along with a chicken breast. Tommy had mixed vegetables with his squash and chicken. I have to say that was one of the best squash I have ever had. So, that one little squash was my first harvest. I dislike large squash, so only another inch of growth would have been tolerated.

The new plan--I got two shelves from a plastic shelf unit from the side of the road where I got three pots and the nice table. I am going to put those under the squash plant part that is sitting on brick. That way it will be less hot. The little squash and the rest of the plant will not sit in water on the porch. I knew I could use that shelf for something!

Wednesday, today, I decided it was time to shop for this week as everyone got their ss check and the 4th is Saturday. Publix was crowded. The Pig was not. 

Choc chip cookies in tiny cup $1.25
Coleslaw $1.99
Cool Whip $2.11
Frozen Broccoli $1.95
Weber Garlic/Herb Seasoning $2.39
Swerve $6.99
Natrol Melatonin $4.10
Stevia Extract $9.49 
Bananas $0.81
Strawberries qt $3.33
2 Wheat Thins 2 for $5.00
something for $6.99
2 a2milk @ $4.49

Little cookies were for the car. Cool Chip is for the eventual poke cake. I still need a pan. Frozen broccoli is for a recipe that calls for broccoli. The Weber seasoning will be a good change for Tommy. I can cut the melatonin in half, so instead of saving half price, this will be a quarter of the price. I DID NOT MEAN TO BUY THE STEVIA EXTRACT! The guy took it out of the basket where I put it to compare it and I did not see I bought it. These strawberries are for ice cream. I just love Wheat Thins, but only when they are on sale. 

I bought the Swerve after reading Anne in the Kitchen talking about using it. 

At the Pig:

coleslaw $0.97
Kool Aid $0.16
3-pack corn $4 exorbitant!
Zeigler original hot dogs $2.50
Hershey's Triple Chocolate Cake $0.99
Stage Plank $0.24

I got Kool Aid to use Swerve in it. I love Kool Aid. I like the old Zeigler's hot dogs with the poisonous red coloring, so had to get those. I found something new and just had to try it, just not today--Hershey's Triple Chocolate Cakes. It appears to be a cupcake with filling and icing. 

The same coleslaw at both places at different prices. I decided to get another at the Pig. I will go back and get another couple of packages and cook it for use later in soups and beans. 

For the 4th of July, we will have hotdogs on buns, coleslaw, corn on the cob, and baked beans and peach ice cream. There may be other stuff, but I don't know what. I have five dying peaches that I am going to salvage tonight and cut up really small for peach ice cream.

Tonight, I will make ice cream. Since no add-in can be larger than a chocolate chip, Tommy is in charge of slicing and dicing strawberries as soon as I wash and cap them. 

Have you found good bargains before the Fourth? Is your menu set? Who else has bought a Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker?





8 comments:

  1. We have an ice cream maker-DH bought it for himself, used a couple times and there it sits. Same with the juicer-which I bought him for Christmas, tried it twice and now it sits. The air fryer is my first ne appliance other than toaster and coffee maker that has been used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      Too bad. Both juicer and ice cream make could be useful...lol...if used.

      Delete
  2. The air fryer might be the best investment I have ever made. I am finding it can be used for so many different things. I have an old (sometime in the 80') Donvier ice cream maker. It is the same principal as the Cuisinart except it is hand cranked. I have made some very good ice creams in it and have had success making keto ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I really want ice cream, lots of it, so I am interested in keto ice cream. About the air fryer--does it get really dirty? If it spatters the inside, I would find it difficult to use/clean.

      I figure what this ice cream maker saves me in ice and salt, it will be well-worth the money. Plus, ice cream is not cheap in the store, and I like good brands.

      Delete
  3. It all sounds yummy. For 4th we are having hamburgers, baked beans and strawberry shortcake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      Strawberry Shortcake sounds yummy. too. I bought strawberries, too.

      Delete
  4. I have an air fryer that has shelves instead of a basket... it can get splattered if you are doing something with moisture but wipes up easy. I have it up to the top shelf at my eye level. I love it for hand pies, small pizzas, onion rings, ff. IT will heat up the area it is in about 10 degrees and can't be placed against anything as it needs to vent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      Thanks. I would have to place it on the stove. Eye level sounds like a good idea.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...