Saturday, June 6, 2020

Snakes and You Can Laugh at Me!

In order to keep birds from pecking my produce, I bought two $1 snakes. I hate birds pooping on my table, too. I really hate them pooping on the wicker chairs!

One snake is in the front for porch plants. The first day I put it on the chair they like to poop on. Then, I moved it to the table. Today, I will put it on the edge of the porch. You know, birds are not completely stupid.

There was a squirrel sitting on my table in the backyard. grrr. I will put one on the table and then the next day on the chair. I suppose I ought to get another for my garden box group in order to keep snakes from tomatoes.

Last night, I diced 7 yellow onions that were larger than a softball. As I made the last slice, I laughed, looked at Tommy and said something to him. I sliced open my thumb. It was bleeding profusely. And, the onion juice hurt like H***! It really needed stitches, but I am not going to the ER over an injured thumb. All the urgent care places were closed.

I called police to see if any urgent care were open. Nope, got to ER in Bessemer. They offered to come and see if they could help me. I could not locate any of my antibiotic ointments, so I put a cortisone cream on it. Nor could I find my 85 bandaids! I did find gauze and cloth/paper tape. I could not sleep for the pain until 8 am this morning.

If it looks like it is getting infected, I will rush to doctor. Promise.

I was not cutting toward me. The onion was flat and I was cutting away from me, but unfortunately, toward my thumb.

How do you scare things away from your food plants and their fruits? Run outside screaming and waving your hands all day? Scarecrow? I am going to make one of those. Netting? Cats?

16 comments:

  1. isn't it too soon to look infected? I always thought it took about 3 days for it to look like it is infected. Plus I always thought that bleeding cleaned the cut out and the blood would wash out the particles that lead to infection. Well I certainly am not a nurse but always followed those indications. The infection I remember the most was my 10 year old (or 11...cant remember) rolling over in bed and scraping her knee against the wall. It was just a scrape and didn't bleed and it wasn't cleaned out. A few days later there was a red line going up her leg indicating infection. She ended up taking antibiotics for it




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann,
      That was a bad infection she had. You can get an infection from such tiny things, right? My finger is read and swollen and hurts! But, I don't know when infection would set in. Oh, I let it bleed and open the gash...several times. I also washed it out.

      I made need an antibiotic, but I don't know. I will not be slow about getting myself to a doctor. I wear rubber glove when I need to do something.

      Delete
    2. I sure hope it doesn't get infected. Our dog was so happy one time to see DH last year she jumped up and her claws went deep right into his arm. We went to Urgent Care and they cleaned it and gave him antibiotics. He ended up not taking the pills tho (reacted to them) but never got an infection.

      Delete
    3. Ann,
      Happy dogs do lots of damage and cause lots of infections in people. I already have an infection on leg, so will probably go to the doctor for both about midweek.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I took off the dressing and kept it dry. It's a little red and a bit swollen, no hurting, edges of cut together, and looks okay.

      Delete
  3. You'll have to update us on the snake remedy with the birds. I hope your finger heels quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam,
      It has always worked before. My friend had two real snakes in his huge tomato garden and not one bird pecked his tomatoes because the two snakes hung out there, probably waiting for birds to show up. Thanks. I hope my thumb heals without any infection.

      Delete
  4. I too am curious about snakes and keeping away birds! We have an awful bird problem on our back patio. Wondering if this will work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      I imagine it will if you change your snake about like I do. Your husband can cut a piece of garden hose, affix something for a head and use a marker for eyes. I absolutely had nothing with which to make a snake. Part of a bungee cord on the ground frightened both of us as it lay on the ground out here. Let me know. Snakes are $1 at WM. They probably have them at DT.

      Delete
  5. I mix two tablespoons of ground cayenne pepper flakes with about 16 ounces of water. I let it sit for awhile and then two or three times a week I spray on the soil in the garden and in the pots. Squirrels and birds hate it and it doesn't hurt the plants or soil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori,
      That's good to know. I use cayenne and other stuff to spray for bugs on vegetables.

      Delete
  6. Ouch about the thumb; I've done that myself
    Alas we have nothing growing that needs protection; the flora have nasty pointed needles and need no protection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly hope you did not cut yourself this deep! I hate pointy needles!

      Delete
  7. My dad always put the disposable pie tins hanging in the fruit trees or strips of foil. Anything really shiny. It kept the birds from eating all our fruit. I haven't seen anyone do this since I was a kid. Sorry you cut yourself. Hope it's healing well. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal,
      In the front yard there are no trees that are not sort of around a corner. In the back is a huge tree that I cannot reach branches. I suppose the snake will have to do. the cut seems to be healing okay. Thanks for asking.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...