Sunday, June 21, 2020

Yard Sale Weekend

Saturday, we went to Cullman and did a few things. Tommy asked what else we needed to do when I thought I was through. There is a church that sporadically has a food bank. So, we checked before we left. Yes! It was a pickup, so no problem and fast. 

The best thing was a tray of eight Parmesan chicken breasts. We each had one for dinner Saturday night. I sautéed vegetables to eat, too. 

Plus, I received a can that I had thought was been discontinued. Margaret Holmes Collard Greens with good date. MH has had a full line of vegetables that were delicious. However, they now only have "MH Whatever Southern Seasoning" for the last few years. Now, I know to keep looking and maybe contact a grocery distributor. This good news makes me very happy because now I can find the turnip greens, too, that have no salt or other seasoning. 

My friend who fell out of her chair twice, was hospitalized, had surgery, was in rehab for these last several weeks is home. I went by her junk store and she was back in her room there. Someone was helping her out of bed and getting her dressed. We talked to her son out back and left. This is someone I know only from going to her store, but I still worry about her and call her "my friend." I still don't know what kind of surgery she had. The guys I talk with around her place just say something about her neck and touch their neck. 

I did see two yard sales. The first was just clothes, it appeared, lying flat on a table. I passed on that one. The one next door was better. However, prices on some things were just too high. Breadmaker--$15 and used? I paid $3 for new in box. $10 for well-used dehydrator? Nope! I paid $4 for a used one that looked better. 

However, I found a book and a basket. The basket is about 14 inches in diameter and has 8 inch sides. I intend to use it for the million little envelopes of stuff in the kitchen that fall all over the place. The book was EVERY WOMAN OF THE BIBLE.  I have no intention of reading it. This is a reference book. This will keep me from having to go to a lot of trouble and reading to find the person I am reading about or trying to determine who she was. Tommy grabbed it and was looking over the book for quite a time. I spent one whole dollar, fifty cents each. 

Twice, in my PO box I have found an In Style magazine that I did not order or pay to get. I give that to the woman and her teen daughter next door. It has my name on the printed magazine label.  I wish it were something I am remotely interested in reading/perusing.

I read and saw that I need to wash out the freezer before use, so I am still not loading it with food. Yesterday, my right foot was so swollen that I finally had to lie down and elevate it. I suppose I will press doctors again for the reason and resolution. The swelling is slowing down things I need to do. 

Saturday night, I cooked the Parmesan Chicken breasts in the oven and sautéed onion, a whole Bell pepper and a half of a huge tomato for Tommy. He ate it all and was still talking about how good the pepper was this morning. I ate half a tomato with my piece of chicken. 

The freezer needs one more shelf. Maybe I will buy another. There are places where the shelves can be moved to get the right amount of space. I like the fact the shelves are adjustable even if I never get another shelf. The freezer will be clean and loaded by Sunday night. 

Tommy sprayed fungicide on my two squash plants. If the little baby squashes are being eaten by squirrels I will fix that. I can buy Dollar Tree mouse traps and place around the squash plants. I know I won't catch a squirrel but maybe the traps will scare them away when they trip a few traps. I do wonder if a bunny would come up Tommy's ramp to eat squash. ??? 

Trying to ward off slugs, I bought copper wire. Slugs cannot cross it, I hear. Is this true? 

I bought 2 zucchini seedlings for the back yard garden and a grape tomato for the front porch. I think Tommy will enjoy picking a tomato to eat as he walks by. 

It is noon Sunday and I have things to do.  

By the way, the rubber snake works to keep birds away. My table, chair, and porch are free of bird poop. So, no birds will eat my tomatoes! I move it around every day.


10 comments:

  1. Glad the rubber snakes are working. I would probably forget I put them out and scare myself to death when I saw them. lol. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal,
      My friend who placed one for me, squatted down and then saw the snake on the ground. He jumped sideways and yelled as he saw the rubber snake out of the side of his eye. He came in laughing. This snake is about 10 feet from where we pass by. Otherwise, Tommy would never leave the house. He is terrified of snakes. The snake is not a realistic color--yellow and pink, I think.

      Delete
  2. Table salt will kill slugs. Also, I have been told, a shallow pie plate of beer. Don't buy it where your church folks can see you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rhymes,
      I don't want to put salt on the whole place. I never see them. I could probably get a can from a church member...lol.

      Delete
  3. I am a preacher... I use beer for slugs..LOL If I put a fake snake out the buzzards would haul it off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      I would have to search for one beer. Most places only sell 6-packs. I have tried this before. I would nail the next plastic snake to a piece of 2x4! I worry that a squirrel will get the one I am going to put out back.

      Delete
  4. My daughter-in-law has a raised bed garden between the driveway and her side door. Nothing better than a sun warmed grape tomato as you walk to and fro.
    I did hear that slugs won't cross copper, but I don't know if it's true. Let us know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      That is a great location for a garden--handy. I will post if this works or does not.

      Delete
  5. You picked up some bargains! I wouldn't have thought a rubber snake would fool the birds for long but i'm glad it works

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      It works for me. I was pleased to get both those items. I will always buy a book for reference. The basket is nice and sturdy.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...