Sunday, July 19, 2020

Baby and Little Child in Masks, in the Car

Tommy often tells me interesting things that happen while he is waiting in the car for me to venture into a store. Some days, he tells me about the cloud formations.  Sometimes, he tells me about bird shenanigans and we sit and watch.

He told me about a little boy about three- or four-years-old. The child was standing outside the car with his mask on, waiting for his mother who was getting something out of the car. The little boy had a mask on which he slowly moved upward on his face until it was over his eyes. Then, he slowly turned his head side to side as though to be sure he could see nothing now. Well, I thought it was so funny.

As i went into the store, i saw a mother in a mask carrying a baby about eight- or nine-months old, a tiny baby, not a toddler. The baby had on a mask and was not worried by it. He left it alone instead of pulling it off. I think his mother practiced and praised him. I was impressed. Officials say not to put a mask on a baby, but I think this was a situation where the mother was present and in control and would not let the baby suffocate.

Tommy stays busy in the car. He sorts things in the console, putting in new inserts with coupons, taking out the expired ones. I have a huge bag from Publix that I carry to the car when we leave the house. It has bottles of water, oj crackers, mail I should have left in the house, and so many things it is hard to describe....scissors, face cream, huge cannister of wipes.

He goes though the bag and finds things that need to be taken care of. By the way, I gave him permission to look in my bag, so he is not just plundering my stuff. He also finds grocery ads that have expired. He is helpful not annoying when he gets in this bag. I am always grateful.

Often he takes my mail or free magazines and reads. He read the Athens college catalog and was recounting historical facts. He never opens bank statements, but opens junk mail and reads the pitch.

Other days, he eats the pb crackers i have opened or a bottle of oj where I took one sip. Sometimes, he listens to sports talk radio which i hate.

Have you seen babies wearing masks? Do you have someone who can amuse him or herself in the car without being bored or exasperated by the wait?

8 comments:

  1. our neighbor has a 1 yr old that wears a mask due to her own health issues. I've had a couple people tell me they do it with their babies when is public places as I guess some idiot purposely coughed on a baby and she was covid positive. Guess better safe than sorry if you can't leave them at home. Hubby stays in the car or I do depending on the store. We keep a bag of things to keep us occupied. I carry water and a small jar of nuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      The only thing that would have kept me from ripping that woman apart if she deliberately coughed on my baby would be the fear that i would be caught and my baby would not have me around. I never sit in the car, except for today. So, he is the one who could get bored. We keep the oj and pb crackers.

      Delete
  2. Most women don't allow anyone to go through their bag (I'm assuming "purse" here as we call it a "handbag") so hats off to you. I went down to Annecy this morning to go to a big hypermarket there and I was a bit surprised that while all the adults had masks on (they are mandatory in France as of today) so many children (10+ years) didn't. It didn't bother me at all as I'm very relaxed about it but I wondered what the logic was behind that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treaders,
      The "bag" is a huge shopping bag. There is nothing in my purse he has not probably seen or knows about, but he never gets in it. He is the only man i have known that i would leave my purse with in the car. I wonder why no masks either.

      Delete
  3. GS will be flying soon to his new home- he is not quite two and daughter says there is no way he will wear a mask. I'm excited because now they will be on the same coast as I am even if 7 hours away. My GD who just turned 6 is happy because she will have her own bedroom- they're moving from a tiny city apartment to a nice suburban home. I'm hoping I can visit in September but if things keep getting worse, alas, that won't happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan,
      My son would not have worn a mask. The girls would, especially the baby. I can imagine how excited you must be. I guess a room of her own made the move more palatable. I think things will get worse. sorry.

      Delete
  4. I have a puzzle book I do while waiting and DH brings his tablet if he knows he will be waiting either in the car or if we run into our daughters (I like to visit)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann,
      It does help to have a plan. It's great you can visit your daughters and he is still entertained.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...