Saturday, July 18, 2020

So, You Think It's Hot? Stock Up Trip

On Friday evening it was 90F at 8 pm...yes, at night. Okay, if you want to be tedious, at 7:55 the temp went down to 89F.

I waited here all Friday afternoon for the new Bringer of Oxygen. He never came, so I called the original company and told them the problems. They gave me the name of two other suppliers.

Dinner Friday night: bbq chicken breast, baked potato, cucumber/tomato with salad dressing. Tommy had watermelon. I ate my watermelon last night.  I have cucumbers that he needs to eat and I will put some in the refrigerator with vinegar. He said I slice his salad cucumbers too thick, so he gets to slice the cucumbers for his salad now! I have trouble slicing things thinly. 

Entertainment on Friday night: How Green was my Valley and The Grapes of Wrath. I have read the last.  The ending of the book is soooo different than the movie. Did you read the GOW? 

I have to go to Publix early Saturday morning since I ran out of milk tonight. Bummer! Yes, I am writing on Friday night.

Okay, it was after 2 pm before I went to the grocery. I did a bit of stocking up, too. Tommy spent over $100, and I still did not get all I need or want. 

 stock-up items

* ALL
* Northern Bath Tissue
* Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup
* Reynold's Wrap
* 4 Smucker's Natural Peanut Butter
*1 lb. Ronco Spaghetti
* 2 Betty Crocker brownie pouches
* 1 lb black beans
* 1 lb. blackeyed peas
* 2  bottles Kraft Italian salad dressing
* 1 bottle Kraft Ranch salad dressing
* 8 gallons of vinegar


non stock-up

* 4 1/2 gallons a2milk
* 1 qt strawberries
*  Swerve
2 Kellogg's Red Berries Special K

This is not all I had on my list of needed items for stocking up. I went to two stores, and decided to get more another day. The soups are for holiday dishes.  We don't eat a lot of salad dressing and both of us can switch to mayo or Miracle Whip. The vinegar is for laundry, cleaning, dish washing. The guy loading it into the vehicle asked how I used so much vinegar.  

Meat is not a problem right now. I bought the bottle of Dawn last September. So, I need more. Although they are not necessary, I do want several boxes of Suddenly Salad and Stovetop Stuffing. However, those will have to be on sale for me to buy them, I think. 

AHHH, I forgot bananas! 

6 comments:

  1. Was the How Green was my Valley the like 1940 version, with Roddy McDowall as the young child? What a career he had-literally his whole life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      We saw the 1940 version with Roddy McDowall. Yes, he had a great career.

      Delete
  2. Must be something in the air as I also forgot to get bananas today at the store! I also forgot peanut butter (we have 2 jars but wanted to get a couple more for stock up). It is hot here too-- today we have a heat advisory as real feel temperature is supposed to be between 103 and 105! I don't think I have ever read the Grapes of Wrath. I need to get back into reading. Doesn't seem like I ever have time to pick up a book these days! LOL Hope you are having a good Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel,
      I just finished the last banana and it was mostly rotten, so i have to get more bananas today. That is incredibly hot where you live. I don't read as much as I did because there is not enough light here. So far, Sunday is good.

      Delete
  3. I remember trying to read The Grapes of Wrath after high school. I hadn't read it as part of my AP English class, so thought I'd read it. I know it took me the longest time to get through it and I hated the ending. Haven't tried to read it again since - and it's been 30 years since graduation. I had been trying to read at least one "classic" each year, but haven't read one this year. I read Jane Eyre every other year or so, it's a favorite. Many of the classics are free to download on Kindle so have access to many that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      The movie had a more hopeful ending. Reading that book ending when you are young is hurtful and sad. Try it again. I don't have a kindle.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...