Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Tax Day and Sort of Stocking Up

I t is July 15, and I am sitting quietly so Tommy can do his taxes. When I came into the living room, he was working.  The TV is off. 

Through the open front door, I can see the ramp. Yesterday, a sparrow was sitting on the railing. This was the first bird to land on the railing since I put out the rubber snake. I sat here talking sweet to the bird about how that snake was going to bite him and eat him. Of course, through the door he paid me no mind. 

There has been no bird poop on the chair or table in front of the porch, on the porch or anywhere else. This has been a good way to keep poop off everything even without the initial benefit of protecting the tomatoes and such. I still change the location of the snake slightly every day. 

The second oxygen generator was stinking-out-of-the-box! So, the company has sent me to someone else that has different ones to supply me. I had to sign an AMA saying I requested the removal.  I wrote a tome on the page explaining that it was useless in my house and for my condition since I only need it at night. Since I cannot use it, I have been at risk of having a heart attack or stroke when my oxygen level drops and this has not been a device I can use at night. So. there! 

I called the manufacturer and was told it was a coating put on the wires and that I should leave it running for 24 hours so it could burn off. That is unacceptable! Now, a different company is bringing me an oxygen concentrator. 

By 11:30, I was exhausted from the ordeal. I told Tommy I was going to lie down and to wake me in about an hour or so. Well, I awoke at 3:30!!! He said I sounded so tired when I left the room that he thought he would let me sleep. He had finished his taxes and got two stamps from me. We mailed his taxes and delivered two bills he needed to pay. 

A Piggly Wiggly ad was lying where I sit. So, we went to the Pig and I used the coupon to buy $25 and save $5.  Boneless pork loins were $1.78/lb, marked down from $7.78/lb. And, of course, the meat cutters were gone, so I will have to cut it. Right now, it is in the freezer. I will let it get firm enough to cut and cut it myself. 

Edit: There were carts of PW hamburger buns and hot dog buns for quarter each. I only bought one of each.

Some items were stock-up. Most were. I rarely find one bar of Dove, so I bought one more bar. I have never seen Dr. Bronner's bar soap, so I bought one. Unfortunately, I bought almond scented, and I hate almond flavor and scents. I have not seen Camay bath soap in ages. So, one of those came home with me. Dishcloths were $0.90 for two. I bought two sets even though they say to wash in cold water. Who washes dish cloths in cold water? Armour no beans chili was cheap but I only bought one can.   

Grape Kool Aid looked good, so I will use Swerve in it. There were only two 6-packs of Minute Maid OJ, so i got those. I actually planned to get five, but this is okay. When I started buying it, there was always plenty. Now, I can only find one or two packs. I suppose children being home is the reason they go faster. Or, does the store get less? Either way, I am managing to find enough.   

Mayfield pints of ice cream were $1.25, so I got Tommy vanilla, and I got butter pecan. We started eating in the car and put them away so he could drive...lol. Yes, I can make ice cream at home. Oh well. 

I bought Zeigler hot dogs and bologna. We do eat these, but not often. They go in the freezer since we had hotdogs on the 4th. 

As I looked at the receipt, I was puzzled as I kept seeing "60 or better" line after line and a negative amount. I suppose I went on a day when Seniors get a discount. I will have to remember that since I saved $1.69 by going today. Between that and the $5 coupon, the receipt was $6.69 less. Plus, everything there was substantially less than at other stores. The Senior Discount is 5% on Wednesday. 

However, The Pig is a "cost plus 10%" store. That 10% charge was -$3.56. Subtract that amount from +$6.69 leaves a savings of +$3.13. Okay. Good deal.

Did you get your taxes done by today or earlier? I am glad I was out of his way so he would not get grumpy at me for anything. I did not speak a word in order to keep the best work atmosphere for him to work. 

Do you shop at Piggly Wiggly? Do you remember older relatives who used Camay or Cashmere Bouquet bath soap? 


10 comments:

  1. I like the almond smell but it kicks up allergies for DH. I had to get rid of my bath gel because it made him miserable

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, a bath gel would make me nuts. I will eat almonds but never choose to buy them. A recipe that calls for almond flavoring gets vanilla. If it calls for almonds, I put in pecans.

      Delete
  2. My dear mum used to buy Camay soap, I seem to remember it used to lather really well.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      I remember Camay and Cashmere Bouquet from my memaw's house.

      Delete
  3. I like the almond smell in small doses. I have not seen a Piggly Wiggly in years around here. It have been probably 20 years since I have been in one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa,
      The dose has to be very small...lol. Since 1974, i have lived in a town with a Piggly Wiggly. It just seems like they are constant.

      Delete
  4. I don’t think there are any Piggly Wigglys in Oklahoma and I remember my mom shopping at one in Texas when I was a kid.
    No taxes for us today
    I have a giant bottle of Dr Bronners in tea tree oil variety. It seems like it will last till I die since it’s so concentrated :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhonda,
      I have no idea where there stores are located, and i should! I have heard Dr. Bronner's lasts, but have yet to experience using it.

      Delete
  5. I love almonds, more for me! Does the snake ever startle you? I would be constantly scaring myself, even if i had just placed it there hours before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nawm,
      I had a friend move it for me about twenty years ago. He then squatted down and launched himself sideways it scared him so badly. He was laughing at himself. But, i have never been startled by it. It may happen, though, since it will be out here for a while.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...