Friday, July 31, 2020

Nest of Phones and Scammed

Finally my flip phone came on Friday, and I have it up and working.   I borrowed the money from Tommy and ordered it. Making a phone call was a nightmare.

All my doctors and contacts were on the old phone. I needed his landline or cell phone to call. Actually, i can call from the old phone, i just cannot hear what the person on the other end is saying. 

So, I would find the number from my contacts, write it down, and use one of his phones to make the call. Plus, I had to remember his cell number to give the person on the other end of the call. Sometimes, I would give his landline number. At one point, i had all three phones in a little nest of a blanket right beside me. It was a nightmare experience. 

Now, i have the money in the bank to pay Tommy back. But, I will have to travel a bit to get it in his hands. My debit/cc has been cancelled and i must wait for it to come. 

I usually call the bank on Monday to check my balance. Imagine how upset I was to find I was overdrawn and had two NSFs taken out of my balance. I knew I did not do this. As it turns out, somehow someone used my information and charged my bank for something I did not order, causing that and another to generate two $38 NSF fees. I had to borrow money from Tommy to fix that. Actually, I could have waited, but another NSF could have been generated. 

At no point did I have a negative balance. I had $2+ in the bank which I dared not touch. Bank officials assured me they would flag my account and even if there were a negative  balance, my account would stay open.  I covered everything the day it happened. 

THEN, I received an email from the same entity who got my money. Needless to say, I will not be opening any email from them.  This is the first time this has ever happened to me. I have recovered part of the money and one NSF fee. Hopefully, I will come out even on this. I just don't know how this happened and if someone else can do this again. 

Have you ever had anyone scam you by using your bank account?

14 comments:

  1. Oh I'm sorry! It has happened to a couple of my friends and both my daughters have had credit cards compromised. I check my bank balance daily on the computer and also my 2 credit cards. I just hate dishonest people! My aunt and mom had wallets stolen once at Walmart and I had my purse stolen several years ago- my mistake but still thievery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan,
      This is a first for me at the bank. My smart phone was stolen when I was in the doctor's office and when it fell out of my pocket. I usually find wallets and purses and turn them in. I know how i would feel if mine were lost and stolen.

      Delete
  2. Oh my, to be scammed is the absolute worst. I'm very careful but it still happened to me. I think that since we order online instead of shopping in stores (and that's me), we are even more vulnerable. I'm glad that your bank is working with you.
    Funny story about flip phones. I got onne for my 89 year old mother. She had no clue how to work a cell phone. I called her frequently just for practice. Finally we had a in-person lesson. When I checked her phone there were 50+ photos of her nostrils. Every time I called, she would press the camera button.
    Have a great day.
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      I think you are right about ordering online. I have done more of it than ever before. The bank was very cooperative. That is why i have stayed with them for so long. Yesterday, when i had my new cell phone set up, the woman was going to transfer my pictures. I told her i never take pictures with my flip phone. Well, she found plenty! I declined to have them transferred. Mine were all from my bed where i grabbed my phone and tried to open it while half asleep. Thanks for that story.

      Delete
  3. That sucks that your account was compromised! It's so frustrating when that happens. I have had a false charge on my bank CC but the bank caught it and stopped it before it went to far.

    If my account had insufficent funds, and I was overdrawn it was due to my poor money management. Thankfully, that is getting better each day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa,
      I have not had an nsf charge in several years, so i was shocked to hear i had two.

      Delete
  4. I'm so sorry someone got into your bank account. I hope you get it all fixed and all the nsf fees replaced. Someone once got a hold of my debit card, but I have since taking precautions to have that stopped. They have card holders now with technology that makes it so someone cannot steal your information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      This had to be accessed online. It was some service I was supposed to have ordered to help me with something. It was not even a physical product. I have heard of those card holders.

      Delete
  5. Bill's info was stolen apparently last week. The bank called with suspected fraud activity. It was for some online web hosting platform. So they cancelled his card. We are waiting on a new one. So sorry that happened to you. I had it happen several years ago when someone tried to order $500 worth of gift cards and a Lego set off of walmart.com using my info. It stinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel,
      I found this myself when i checked my account. At least mine was only $12.95 or something like that. Although, it was still stealing and affected my life. It does stink.

      Delete
  6. I have had it happen several times over the years and that is why I log into my bank account every morning to make sure nothing has been charged. It's maddening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. one,
      I need to get my online account set up again. However, i did find this out soon. This is the first time i have had this happen.

      Delete
  7. It always bothers me to see ladies in the store turn their backs on their cart with their purse in it and look at something. I always keep my purse across my shoulder and would never leave it in my cart. I actually walked away with someones cart once and her purse was in it (somehow thought it was mine). She was checking out some apples and I was too, and just took the wrong cart. Half way across the store I realized I did that. I looked back and the poor lady was frantic. I raced back to her with the cart and her purse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann,
      Women leave their purses on counters and in carts and move away, leaving me horrified. I always say loudly, "whose purse is this?" and point out that someone could steal it. In the electric cart, i am able to hook the strap around the central post to the "steering wheel."

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...