Saturday, August 1, 2020

Caution and Doves

It seems that red onions have been found to be the cause of a salmonella outbreak in many states. Since red onions were part of what was given to me, I am tossing those beautiful red onions. When I gather them up and toss them, I will wash my hands. I was looking forward to eating them, freezing most of them, and enjoying them this winter. 

Tommy has a pair of doves that have nested in the top crook of his drain system, right up against the brick.  He gives me a report on what they are doing when he goes out. The other day Daddy Dove was sitting on the railing of the ramp. I warned him the snake would get him if he did not go away and quit sitting on the railing. Daddy Dove did not listen, but at least he did not poop on the handrail. 

At my house, I had doves. Sometimes, they sat on the scuppernong arbor that was 9' x 18' . Since it was solid grapes arbor of vines, not just a wire or post with grapes, they had a solid, high, safe place from the cats that stayed in my yard in the huge oaks.  Occasionally, in the winter I would see a dove sitting on the ground with its wings spread out. I loved my doves, so now I have doves  in the yard again. I love the sound of doves.

It is so wonderful having a functioning phone. Tommy does not mind one bit if I need his phone or carry around his cell phone. The night before I talked to the doctor, I slept with his cell phone in a bowl. It has such a tinkly little ring, I was afraid I would not hear it ring. My phone has always had a good, hearty house-phone ring. 

Are you eschewing red onions right now? Do you have doves in your yard or have ever had them? 

12 comments:

  1. I just heard about red onions yesterday! So, yes, I will be throwing mine out, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LEfting,
      They smell so delicious, but I cannot take a chance.

      Delete
  2. Oh man I hate doves, their call especially. Once they start nesting in a spot, it is impossible to dislodge them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joe,
      Their call and the fact they hang around is what I like about doves! Plus, they mate for life.

      Delete
  3. I grew my own red onions so I was very thankful I messed up and ordered red onions along with the candy white onions.

    We have doves, mourning doves for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      I need to grow onions, too. Thankfully, you have ones not polluted. You will have doves for a long time now.

      Delete
  4. I just bought a 3 lb bag of onions but at least they weren't red. I wonder why only the red ones?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read some yellow and white were affected, too. Well, only the ones grown in unsafe conditions would be affected.

      Delete
  5. I have at least 1 red onion left, but not a recent purchase and no one sick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is the first I have heard of such.
    I think we ate some this week - without problems apparently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      Well, not all red onions were affected, so good for you two. I had not eaten any of these, so decided not to partake.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...