Saturday, July 4, 2020

Oh, This Ice Cream is Seriously Delicious!

Of course, I did not follow the directions or amounts. I used the whole quart of strawberries, cut into small pieces, then used the pastry blender on them for about 4 licks, and put them into a measuring cup. There was a tad over 1 1/2 cups, so I used them all. 

After I crushed the strawberries a bit, I put 1/8 cup sugar in them to further macerate and liquify the sugar. Then, I refrigerated them for about an hour. The recipe called for 2/3 cup sugar. I used 1/3 cup Swerve. Thanks, Anne!

The recipe was for whole milk and heavy cream for a total of 2 1/2 cups of milk. I only used 2 cups of my 2% a2milk. Since there were a bit more strawberries, I did not want to use too much total in the freezer. 

I could not find any vanilla in the kitchen, so decided to use vanilla beans. They were hard and dried out, so scraping beans was not possible. I cut one bean in 1" lengths and put those in the milk and strawberries. They did not soak, just went in about 5 minutes after being cut. 

The directions were not hard, just not the way one would put ingredients in the freezer. You put in dasher thing and the lid, TURN ON MACHINE,  and THEN  pour the ingredients through the lid after the motor is going. 

When all this was done, I rushed back to see the time and figure when it should turn off. After a few minutes, I heard a strange whine, so I rushed back in to see if it was okay. The machine was still running and the ice cream was rising. 

It was okay, and after 8 minutes, I had ice cream. 

I am not sure why, but the ice cream was coming out of the top. So, it was messy taking it apart to move the bowl and dish it up. 

Before the next time, I will soak these vanilla beans in something. Then, I will get vodka to make  some vanilla extract. 

Next time, I will put strawberries in a blender to make them less solid. It will be better since the strawberry pieces were frozen. And, I will use less strawberries. The Swerve was good, no aftertaste. I can also use even less sugar, using half the amount of Swerve that I used. 

I could have ice cream every day. However, I usually have a glass of milk later in the day with cereal, as chocolate milk, just to drink. From now on, starting tonight, I will not have milk at night if I have ice cream. 

Oh, this is still Friday night, the 3rd. Tomorrow, I may make banana. Tommy hates banana but is okay with me having banana ice cream. However, I will not eat as much as I ate tonight. 

Friday, we had baked chicken from the freezer, sweet potato I baked yesterday, and coleslaw.  We are eating well after a few nights of iffy meals...lol. 

Who has bought one of these Cuisinart ice cream makers this week? Who has one of the old-fashioned crank kind? If I could crank one, I would have one instead of this electric one. 

Maybe I will make blueberry ice cream next after the peach I have in mind. 

After ice cream, I taped the flag that comes in the Times to the inside of the front storm door. So, the place is decorated. 

4th of July

We had hotdogs, baked beans, coleslaw. I did not make ice cream again. Friday night I had a rough night. Not sure why. But, I took a two-hour nap. Now, we are watching Boston Pops. 


12 comments:

  1. we plan to make ice cream too - for the first time in years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      What flavor? I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

      Delete
  2. I have an electric ice-cream maker that I bought years ago and never used it. And I like ice-cream, so maybe it's time to get that gadget dusted off and give it a shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treaders,
      I would say it is about time. And, you always talk about how hot it is. So, this would be cool for you.

      Delete
    2. I too have one in a closet I have never used and I actually think I know where it is! You have tempted me.

      Delete
    3. JRE,
      This is a good time for ice cream, something a little different.

      Delete
  3. I don't really need another kitchen gadget but........maybe just ONE more lol. Your ice cream sounds devine!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to get mu husband ingredients to try out his maker again-the one that has been sitting on the shelf for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      I think that is a good idea. He will appreciate it.

      Delete
  5. I am about to make my first ice cream in ages which will include the cuisinart

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...