Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Organizing on the Cheap

Several months ago, i found a few things at a garage sale. Actually, this is in the country in front of a community center right on the road. I have found many great things here as other years every Friday and Saturday there are always many people with their wares displayed.

Frigidaire Fridge and Pantry Bins are $39.99 for 9 bins. I bought 9 bins for $1 each, so $9. But, I think i paid $5 for all I have used two and now have gotten out the rest to use at different places in the house.

What a bargain!

These are 12.75" x 4.25" x 4", perfect.  I am using one for sharp knives on the counter. At this point, they are not useful for the refrigerator or the freezer. But, I might find a use for them there yet.

When I first moved here, Tommy showed me where he had put some boxes he was storing for me. In one room was a great dresser--brown furniture to some. Well, I love brown furniture. He said it was a piece of junk when I was exclaiming how pretty it was. So, I asked him if I could have it. YES! The dresser belonged to his boarder. She became ill and her family removed items. But, they left the dresser.

The room was always cold during the winter and now, hot during the summer. Since we had to open the door and ac vent, it is now comfortable to go in there. Actually, it is frigid in this room. I wish this were my bedroom.

Today, I cleaned the filthy top of the dresser. It is in horrible shape, but I can fix that and put a dresser scarf on it someday. The dresser is five feet long and taller than most. I have started carrying things back there so this room and specifically this dresser can store food and HBA products. This development will help with storage. I suppose there will be rows of cans on top.

The dresser has four drawers across the top and two rows of two drawers below the four at the top. Plus, it is solid wood with dove-tailed drawers. As an organizational tool, it is perfect.

Plus, I had Tommy store a set of shelves I had for a classroom. Right now, the whole thing is disassembled with the four tall parts and the five shelves on the floor. I bought bolts are something to put it back together. Tommy and I, together, probably cannot assemble it again.

So, now there are three new tools to use to organize.

Do you get excited when you have free or cheap things to organize you house? Tell me about something great or cheap or both that helps you organize, if you will.

8 comments:

  1. They have lots of organizing wire baskets and plastic containers at the Dollar Store to organize. I also love to organize and I like it to look cute, even if it is in a closet or a drawer because every time i see it it makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nawm,
      I suppose i need to go there to get baskets/bins for freezer. Cute is a plus. Organized is cute.

      Delete
  2. I love garage sales but am avoiding them this year to save on spending. That is an excellent price for the bins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      I don't have to avoid garage sales to save money. The sales are just not there. Thanks. I knew they were a bargain when i saw them.

      Delete
  3. I've gotten a lot of bins at the Dollar Tree to help with organization. I was given a free desk for Rebecca's room to help with her organization; I just had to buy screws for the legs as the owner had lost them--so for less than $5 a desk for her room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel,
      I have only bought 3 bins from DT, but they are invaluable. $5 is a great deal for a desk and great for organization. Thanks for that.

      Delete
  4. I do love to find stuff to organize with. I use brown paper sacks and card board boxes with a handle cut in them in my freezers. I used dish washing pans for the upright freezer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      I have used paper bags for organizing things, but nowadays paper bags are so thin. And, i love a box with handles cut in them. I am thinking about using dish pans in my upright freezer. Things keep sliding.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...