Thursday, July 2, 2020

Haircut and Fabric

Thursday evening, we went to the yard and I cut Tommy's hair. This is a man whose usual haircut has most of the hair about 1/4" to 1/2" long, except for right on the top. Well, I cut 3 inches from his hair.

I cut the length from the bottom all around and he sighed and said he was cooler already. He said he had been so hot lately. Hair on his neck is so uncomfortable. Thankfully, my hair has grown to where it is not on my neck. But, I am not getting it cut. 

I hold the hair and cut, dropping lumps of hair. I know I should hold the hair and cut it, but after cutting, I`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` throw down the hair. Unfortunately, I managed to cut it at the bottom of the ramp, right where we will step in it going to and from the house and car. This ought to be fun after walking it into the house.

His hair is a light gray and fine. As I cut it and dropped the clumps, it looked like soft kitten hair. He did not think so. 

He always swore I would never cut his hair. Now, he welcomes it. Are you cutting anyone's hair due to the virus? Your own?

Today, I bought the fabric that is reported the best for masks--polyester spandex chiffon. I have a bit of fabric to use for the outer mask. I have some of the pads that were given to me that are for use under a bedridden person to catch urine. No, I was not given these because I am incontinent. At any rate, if they will hold a puddle, surely they will stop something smaller. Now that I have all the materials, I need to make masks by hand or get the machine up and running. 

Dinner on Wednesday was chicken breast and mixed vegetables for Tommy. I ate the chicken and something. I try not to eat canned vegetables, but that is what they are for, so they won't hurt us to eat once in a while. There was tomato that Tommy refuses to eat. He says they are too soft. So, I will blanch and peel and put in some sort of sauce. Spaghetti?

Maybe one of the squash plants is dying. I am not sure why. Remember, the squash plants were maybe four inches high and cost a quarter apiece.

Tonight, part of a turkey breast from last year, sweet potato, and broccoli are on the menu.  

Does anyone know of a fabric store anywhere near Birmingham besides Walmart or Joann's? I may have to go far away to buy fabric since this Joann's does not want to help me.

12 comments:

  1. Wish I could help you find fabric Linda but the only Birmingham I know is here in the UK, the second city after London and famous for Cadbury’s Cocolate! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      LOL...oh, to go to UK to shop! Thanks. I could get some Cadbury's while there. Birmingham in the US is in Alabama, a city in the South.

      Delete
    2. Okay, The city and state of Alabama are in the South.

      Delete
  2. I think I may soon have one of my daughters cut my hair. I haven't been able to get into a stylist yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      It would be the safe option. I suppose I will cut my own. It seems like the safer option than letting Tommy near my hair with scissors!

      Delete
  3. I don't know about in Alabama, but there used to be Hancock's Fabrics that was bought out by Michaels. Hobby Lobby also has fabrics. Do you have either of those around Birmingham? I don't think either Michaels or Hobby Lobby is particularly inexpensive, though.

    Come to think of it, I think there is a Hobby Lobby in Gardendale (where my daughter used to teach) at the Fieldstown Road exit off I-65.

    ReplyDelete
  4. rhymes,
    I did not think of Hobby Lobby or Michaels since I didn't know they had fabric since I never go there. It appears that Hobby Lobby is no longer there. I just checked. No, they are not inexpensive! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get fabric at Hobby Lobby in their remnants section. The size pieces you can get are fine for smaller items like masks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. chipmunk,
      Ramnants would work. But, unless they have electric carts, I won't be going in there.

      Delete
  6. Go to JoAnns online and a box will appear at your door in a couple of days. Also check those pads to make sure you can breathe through them

    ReplyDelete
  7. You want fabric? I have heaps. If you want some I will send you some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      Thanks. I would love some fabric. You have my address?

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...