Saturday, August 8, 2020

Lipstick in the Time of Covid-19

 I put on lipstick for the first time in months on August 6, 2020. The previous time was March 11, 2020. Never in my life have I gone so long between lipstick applications. What's more, I have not applied any other type of cosmetics during this time--five months.

Before March 11, when I applied cosmetics, it was usually just lipstick. I might reapply it six times in a day if my lips felt dry. It seems my lips do not get dry enough to remove or raise the mask now. 

Eyeliner or shadow were rarely applied. Now, neither are ever applied. Spring cosmetics usually do not include anything near my eyes since I have allergies. 

Applying foundation and blush make me look less dead and more alive. Now, since the mask covers my face, I forego both. Besides, my mask will start looking nasty. When I put on lipstick the other day and then wore the mask, I had lipstick all over the white inside of my mask. 

Most of my life, I have worn no cosmetic other than lipstick because I hated applying it and I had a complexion that did not need anything to improve or enhance it. Yes, I HAD a great complexion. And, there was rarely anything that needed covering. And, I hated and still hate all makeup except lipstick. Now, I feel like I need it. 

When my son was three, one day I put on lipstick while we were home. He thought I was leaving the house because I put on lipstick! He kept following me around, not wanting to be left home alone. My husband was gone with our only car, so there was no chance I was leaving! Nope, I never put on makeup to go anyplace back then, just lipstick. 

Have you worn less cosmetics in the last few months? Blame it on Covid-19? Were you a committed wearer of cosmetics before all this? Have you eschewed lipstick now? Other makeup?

16 comments:

  1. I never wore much cosmetics and now just put on quick lipstick when I remember. The story abt your son is funny. Our dog does the same thing when she sees us getting ready to go somewhere. she follows us around hoping for an invite. How are you feeling? Any better? Are you going to get the covid test?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann,
      I am feeling much better. I may still get the test.

      Delete
  2. I always feel better if I put on some lip balm color stick and some blusher. Very seldom do I wear foundation. It seems to accent any dry spots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. susie,
      My lip balm has no color but I use it for dry feeling lips.

      Delete
  3. I tried early on some meetings on line for a little make up, now don't bother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      Thanks. I wonder how many millions work without makeup online now.

      Delete
  4. I no longer wear lipstick because no one can see it and it would just soil the mask. I also stopped wearing earrings because I catch them on the mask when I remove and and then I would lose them. One day I completely forgot about not wearing earrings and I put some in because we had a long drive. Sure enough, by the end of the day I had lost one of the earrings.....and it was a favorite pair I had purchased in Hawaii. Wouldn't you know it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I got tired of fighting earrings and loops, so I stopped wearing earrings. It's too bad you lost a favorite! Yesterday, I saw woman with an earring pinned to her head by the mask loop.

      Delete
  5. Having no brothers I am quite unfamiliar with the feminine mysteries especially how one goes picking out a lipstick color. What color is yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      "Gentlemen Prefer Pink" Sometimes, I wear "Pink in the Afternoon." Revlon has nice lipstick names. I just look at the color and hope for the best. If one buys lipstick/makeup at Walgreens or maybe CVS and does not like it, the makeup can be returned. I have only used that policy once.

      I chose "Pink in the Afternoon" and did not like it, so I got "Gentlemen Prefer Pink," which is what I wear most often. Of course, this was several years ago when I chose a new color because the color I liked was discontinued. I hate it when they do that. So, once i find a color, I just keep buying it without the agony of choosing. Now you know.

      Delete
  6. I don’t mind applying a little makeup but I HATE removing it. I have to really hunt for a water soluble mascara. I have worn mascara a few times during the pandemic. With our smiles hidden I think it is nice to accent the eyes a little. My SHORT hair has really grown out. I have been buying a few clips & barrettes to keep it out of my face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet,
      You are right about smiles being hidden. But, the mask sometimes makes my eyes water. My hair is long but when i cut it, my hair was tooooo short. Now, it is back to too long. I was thinking about getting something to hold my hair back. Maybe I will.

      Delete
  7. I had spinal fusion surgery in February, so definitely went for a few days without makeup. But getting up and getting into a routine has been important for me. My coworkers all got sent to work from home mid-March. I 'returned' to work April 2 - working from my dining room table. I do put on makeup a lot of days. Especially if I have a zoom meeting where I have to be on camera.

    And for the comment above about smiles being hidden, a lot of people (myself included!) .. the smile is in the eyes. You can tell when I'm smiling even with a mask on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      How did the surgery go? Spinal fusion has been mentioned to fix my back! If I were going to be on camera every day for work, I might put on a bit of makeup. Otherwise, no.

      I do look for and notice the smile in eyes. I wonder if people can tell I am smiling. Thanks for the perspective of your experience.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for asking.

      The surgery was successful. It was rough, though. I had to lie flat for almost 24 hours after surgery and that was miserable. Then the first few days at home were worse. Very rough. Rolling over in bed was painful, getting up to potty was excruciating. HOWEVER, after those first few days, things started improving and now I'm six months out and so happy I had the surgery. The pain I was trying to be rid of is gone. I still have to be careful of what I do, but I'd rather be careful first than hurt later.

      Delete
    3. Getting rid of pain would be a great thing for me! I can imagine how awful it would be to lie flat for that long. I can barely roll over in bed NOW! I am very afraid of spinal surgery. I agree with being careful as opposed to hurting. Some day, I may have more questions for you.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...