Friday, September 25, 2020

Recipe--Black Bean Brownies and a Colander

 Black Bean Brownies

350 degrees, 30 minutes

2 ripe bananas, mashed
1 can black beans, drained (mashed, whirred to pulp, whatever)
1/4 cup cocoa
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup instant oats (I used the whole grain Quaker oats)

Mix, use 8x8 or 9x9 inch pan, lightly greased with butter, Pam, or Crisco. Drain the beans.

The first time I made these, I was too lazy to put the beans in the blender or use a potato masher. I just gave more than few hopeful mashes of the fork and let them be.

When I tasted the baked brownies, the beans had the chocolate flavor infused into the half mashed beans. I knew there were no chocolate chips in the brownie, but the half-crushed beans tasted like chocolate chips and had the texture of chocolate chips. No matter how often I told myself I was eating beans, they still tasted like chocolate chips.

Since this calls for two bananas my mashed, frozen bananas might be used for Black Bean Brownies. Each bag has four partial bananas and equals about one cup. So,  I suppose that could be two bananas. 

I think I will use swerve next time I make this. 

Yes, I know I have posted this before, but it was years ago. 

It is 70F at noon. It will warm again before long, thankfully. I am not into cold weather! It is still sandal weather for me. 

My temperature is less each day, but I have this horrible tiredness that puts me back in bed to rest every few hours.  I continue to treat allergies so that maybe October will not require antibiotics. 

I have made a decision. The colander I own has holes only in the center of the bottom. About two inches up the sides are holes again. It is sooo difficult to drain anything without standing right there and shifting the contents and shaking to arrange the liquid so it will drain. The only thing I have found is a cheap $1 colander at Piggly Wiggly. Well, I do find other more expensive plastic colanders. So, I will go with the cheap one even if it poisons me. 

I don't need a colander often, but it makes me irritable even thinking about using one. I have pasta on for Suddenly Salad and the thought of jiggling pasta is annoying. I had six colanders before, and I miss them, especially the one I bought in 1966.

Holes are very important for a colander. They are the only reason for a colander. Otherwise, I could use a bowl or pot. 

Do you have a favorite colander? Now, I don't mean a wire sieve. I had one of those, too. Does your colander have holes all over the bottom and sides? 

Have you ever made Black Bean Brownies?




22 comments:

  1. I don't have a good colander but at least it has holes at the bottom and all up the sides. The issue is it is a bit on the thin side. I've never made Black Bean Brownies and I've been wanting to so thank you for the recipe. It will come in hand over this winter when I'd like a treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyful,
      Thin? Use it carefully...lol. Holes are the important part. I really like the recipe. I am hoping Tommy does, too. He had it years ago and cannot remember it.

      Delete
    2. Yeah it doesn't seem to strong but it was made by Tupperware and came with a top that locks. It belonged to my late mom and somehow the top of it has gone missing.

      Delete
    3. Jouful,
      I don't think I knew Tupperware made a colander. I am going to see if they have one now.

      Delete
  2. I'm busy poisoning my family with plastic colanders, one large and one small.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got rid of the yellow Tupperware colander that I got in the '70's. I don't know why I kept it, I haven't used it in years. Never liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      I never met a piece of Tupperware that I did not love! I don't know why I never bought a colander. Maybe it was because I liked the little metal one with three legs.

      Delete
    2. When I was growing up we always had a metal colander. Then when Tupperware became a household staple way back when, mother always had a Tupperware colander but she didn't keep the same old Tupperware for years and years. The last one she bought was white and that's the one I have, minus the cover. It is much better if you can get the cover that 'locks' on for draining.

      Delete
    3. Joyful,
      So, she upgraded. I can see how the lid would help.

      Delete
    4. I guess so. I googled Tupperware catalogue and you are in luck. They have the double colander (the one with the lid). It's a different colour but you probably know they always change up the colours.

      Delete
    5. Joyful,
      I started googling Tupperware and was side-tracked by eBay...lol. I bet I cannot afford it right now. Thanks.

      Delete
    6. Surprisingly it is $25 dollars right now. That seemed low to me. Everything is always expensive at Tupperware. I'm guessing it's a sale price.

      Delete
    7. Joyful,
      I don't have that much right now. The cheap, poisonous $1 colander is my speed right now. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. I have one large and one small collander. Had them since my MIL threw me a Tupperware bridal shower LOL. They are yellow and just have holes in the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those brownies sound so good, and healthy too. I have 4 colanders. Two of them only have holes on the bottom and the other two have them all over. I have a big one for when I make pasta salad as I do like to double on it it sometimes so the salad will last longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      My colander only has a few holes in the center of the bottom, not very effective! This one will hold lots of pasta, but just refused to drain effectively. Now, I want pasta salad.

      Delete
  6. Patience above! I have never heard of such!
    I cannot remember the last time I made brownies of any kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urospo,
      Try it and you will like it if you like brownies.

      Delete
  7. how long do you cook this and at what temperature please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put it at the top of the recipe. Is it gone? 350f for 30 minutes.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...