Monday, September 28, 2020

That was so hard! Bananas!

 Sunday--Tommy had to go pick up meds from the pharmacy window. I told him on the way back that we were putting the shelves together. He agreed.

Because it is almost pitch dark in the area where it needed to be put together and used, we had to assemble it in the living room and carry it to the kitchen! 

There were numerous parts we did not need, so we were confused for a bit. No, we were confused for a long time! Of course, the number for customer service was not open on Sunday. Finally, I declared we would use the parts that I thought we needed. There was no  place for the other parts. 

Amazingly, neither of us injured ourselves or each other handling the heavy parts and four 6-foot legs! I did considering hurting him when he did not attach pieces the correct way. The whole unit is 6-foot tall and holds 1350 lbs. It is 3 foot wide and 16 inches deep.    

Thankfully, it is done. Two people in our condition should not be assembling things this heavy and large. Lesson learned. It would have been worth money to have this done for us. 

I am glad I have leftovers of chicken and vegetables! If I live for another hour, I might make a peach cobbler. The peaches are commercially canned but will be delicious. This is a dump cake in a 9'x13' dish. 

That was so hard! But, I can get the mess of food off the tables, chairs, floors and off boxes. Do you ever have to do something that is just beyond your physical abilities and only realize it too late? 

I wanted to get the $.99/lb grapes, both the red he likes and green I like. The green were not fit to buy. I think I bought 3 pounds of the red, so they will last a long time. 

Bananas were reduced to $.1/bag. I think there are 20 bananas in the ten pounds in the bag. Today, I have to mash them and freeze. This will probably be all I buy to freeze. 

It is about noon on Monday, and I still hurt. I asked Tommy just now if he wants to put his old chairs out as we empty food from them. He said, "Might as well." YAY! I will do this one more hard thing today. 

I am still hurting and asked Tommy if assembling the shelf unit hurt him. "No." Me?...sigh

Since I bought tomatoes and squash Saturday at the Farmer's Market, both are on the menu today. BLT and squash and onions sound about right. I suppose this is the end of fresh tomatoes and squash. This summer has seemed so short. 

But, pecans will be at the market soon.

Have you tackled a task that was beyond your physical ability and only realized it too late? Will you get to eat one last BLT?


 

14 comments:

  1. I think it pays to have someone put a shelf like that together for you. I put one together not long ago and felt that way. I do love the shelf though and it holds a lot. I hope yours does too. Sounds like it will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      Today is the day after and we were going to move it in place today. But, it is in the middle of the floor because I don't think I can hurt myself again today. I do think I will love it when I can move it.

      Delete
  2. I have done that so many times , I am surprised I am still here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      Then, you know! I remember your tales of some of those times. I thought the shelves were going to do me in.

      Delete
  3. Last week I moved everything except the piano our of the living room by myself. It must not have been beyond my ability because I got it done and stacked neatly in the dining room. But did I ever pay for it the day after. The LR couch is heavy and was hard to move. I would up putting the front and back leg on my feet (I wore heavy shoes) to "walk" it into the dining room so I would not scratch the floors.
    My sister and I are getting several things of Mom's and hired a mover. We decided the cost is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      Remember when you could do it and recover the next day? Well, beyond my ability right now means I do not recover by morning or afternoon after. I met a woman who hired a mover to move an antique to large storage unit when her father died to avoid his wife getting it. She said they could all move it but not fast or without pain. I have things to move from my storage unit that will require a mover.

      Delete
  4. If I have a big and heavy job to do, like moving furniture I try and do it myself but usually there is wear and tear on me or the furniture I'm trying to move. If I have a job like putting things together I have to wait a awhile and get the men in my family to do it. I haven't put shelving together for decades because I cannot hold all the pieces together and nail it all by myself anymore. I don't know how I ever did it in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyful,
      This had no nailing, no screwing, supposed to be easy. Not true. Holding pieced together still happened. Next time, we will get help. Tommy's back was really hurting but is okay today. Mine and other parts are still not okay. We do lots of things easily when we are young.

      Delete
  5. Regularly, then pay for it later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      I am afraid of doing more damage to my back, but I do pay.

      Delete
  6. I would give a lot for a proper BLT; I can not remember the last time I had one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      I would have to try to grow tomatoes where you live.

      Delete
  7. Have you noticed how much Tommy has come around to allowing changes to his house? It always sounded like he was furiously resistant when you first started living there, but now appreciates the benefits of healthy meals, a stockpile of food and a clean house.

    Another wild man tamed. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      Yes, I have noticed! It is not clean yet, but he is going to hire someone to clean. He just does not know it yet. Yep!

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...