Friday, October 9, 2020

Food, Friend

 The food boxes were not available last week. Milk was the main thing we missed. This week, there were boxes given out. We were given two boxes. The list below is the total for two boxes. So DO NOT DOUBLE the amounts listed. Some boxes have two of an item while the other will have only one.

  • two gallons milk
  • 3 personal watermelons
  • 5 single apples
  • 4 lbs onions
  • 10 lbs potatoes
  • 2 1-quart boxes of liquid whole eggs
  • 4 1-lb. blocks unsalted butter
  • 6 lbs. processed cheese slices
  • 2 pkgs. hotdogs
  • 6 lbs. chopped, cooked, chicken breasts 
  • 6 lbs. frozen Pollack 
  • one large onion
  • 2 cans black beans
  • 2 cans cream style corn
  • mixed spring salad 
  • baby kale both in salad boxes
We gave a single mother the eggs, a bag of apples and potatoes from last time, can of black beans, 2 cans cream style corn and a huge onion. The bags are still good  but there are two adults and two children to feed. They will go quickly. 

The three pound packages of cheese are going to be divided into six bags each so they will not fall out of the cellophane bags or be handled excessively. I am not crazy about the health effects of processed cheese, but Tommy likes it. 

The chicken breast chops will be divided and frozen. One pound of hotdogs is in the freezer now. I am freezing all the salted butter in foil, wrapped and folded to be airtight. One gallon of milk is in the freezer. 

The other boxes were 20 lbs. These were 30 lbs. Except for the hotdogs and cheese, these boxes were better. 

I finally decided there must be a better way to make a list than the double spaces between lines. So, I went to the three little dots to the top left of the blog, and above it, clicked and got additional menus choices. It looks better!

My new medication needs a PA, physicians authorization, or I can pay $2300.00. ugh

Now, I have to get these foods divided and into the freezer. I wish I could afford enough glass containers to freeze them in glass. The four pounds of butter will be frozen in aluminum foil. 

Plus, we need to spend 30 minutes getting food organized in the kitchen. I can tell you right now, I have an abundance of Campbell's Cream of somethings. Of course, some of it may be the chicken broth that is medicine for me. 

Remember I bought a dozen pink roses at Publix about six weeks ago? They stayed pretty for quite a while. But, they were getting crunchy and the leaves were making a mess. Last night, Tommy brought the kitchen trash so I could lift the vase and bouquet into the bag and discard the roses. Well, the leaves fell right off. I decided to save the now dry and beautiful roses. I need to trim the stems and find something else into which to place the dried flowers. I have roses that will probably last the winter!

Thankfully, I cooked chicken Wednesday, green bean casserole last night and have salad/tomatoes to round it off tonight. Or, maybe I will bake sweet potatoes. Or, maybe something else. 

I cannot find a friend who I fear is terribly ill or dead. If you read my other blog, his picture was in "Jamming with Sasquatch." He is hairy and insisted on learning to make jam in shorts only. Well, I was getting none of the potentially hairy jam or burning myself, so I sat and watched as he followed my instructions. His home phone is disconnected and his cell is just a busy signal. He has money and is very good with paying things on time. He lives with his cell, so no excuse for the busy signal. I am worried sick. 

So far, we have only gotten a spritz of rain, barely sprinkles. Hopefully, our luck will hold the same for tomorrow when rain and wind are predicted. How is the weather at your place? Are you putting up any food this week?




 


13 comments:

  1. Thats a lovely food box with so much fresh food & the chicken! I've got soup on the stove at the moment so the house smells lovely and we've got a lovely spring day here, still a little cool but beautiful blue skies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      Spring? Today was in the 70s, but it seemed like the skies of winter were upon us, so not too spring-like.

      Delete
  2. I put up a few pictures of the weather today on my blog. Supposedly it is a day of very heavy rainfall today but personally I didn't find it so. It was not raining when I did my errands but it was starting to rain on my return home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyful,
      I looked and the skies look just like the skies here today.

      Delete
  3. Medicine for $2300? Is that for a years worth? Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember very well when you went over and gave him jam instructions. How long has it been since you have heard from him? Have you searched on line to see if he has passed away? It sometimes takes a few months for the Social Security Death Index to be updated. I have an account with Ancestry and can access the index. If you'd like me to have a look for you just private message or email me and I will take a look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet,
      That was a fun post! I think it was about two weeks ago when I talked to him. That would be great if I had not finally found him!

      Delete
  5. Oh Phooey .....I went to your next post and was happy to learn that you have been in contact with your friend. That is great news.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is hot as always this looks never to end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      Temp here is 73, and I would like it a bit warmer and less humid. Lucky you.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...