Friday, October 23, 2020

Friday

  • (I have no idea how this bullet got here or haow to get rid of it!) Thursday night, after dark we took a spin around the neighborhood to  see other Halloween decorations. It turns out the we had the second best display and lights. Now, we realize that we have four tiny blinking lights on four stakes with a witch and jack o lantern. So, our display is not so spectacular.  The white ghosts in the trees look better at night than in the day. 

For Thursday night dinner Tommy had another two cups of the soup with lots of meat and vegetables. I had a small can of chicken breast with sweet relish and MW. I also had a can of asparagus. Tommy does not like asparagus. I only like it right out of the can--no heating. One more soup serving awaits. He said to freeze it. 

Thursday, I bought another two sets of the shelves that hang from a shelf. This will expand the running feet available for food and will reduce the headroom for food. There is no use having a shelf with room above soup cans and no way to use it. I don't like to stack pop top cans on each other. I am afraid of a lid failure. And, there is no way to adjust the space between shelves. Plus, cans can slide where there is no back to the shelves or sides. The hanging shelves have back and side.

As I left the bank yesterday, I saw a box of masks. I asked the guy if I could have a mask. He said I could and I got into the car with two in my hand. I did not mean to get two when I asked for one. I have managed to NOT buy masks, so far. I only take one, usually. I wash masks! If I want two, I ask for two. This is the first time I have gotten more than one. But, I saw a woman taking a handful. 

Friday,we picked up two boxes of food. Here is the two added together for the tally.

  • 2 gal. milk
  • 6 lbs cheese slices
  • 2 quart of Yoplait Strawberry Yogurt
  • 2 pack of hot dogs
  • 6  lbs. chopped chicken
  • 2 quarts whole eggs
  • dozen loose apples
  • 10  lbs. potatoes 
  • 4 huge yellow onions
  • huge bag of raw spinach
  • bag of Romaine
  • 2 loaves of expensive loaf bread  
  • 2 lbs ground beef
  • 2 lbs. chicken filets
I bought a couple of tomatoes so we can have salad for dinner

Okay, one place slung in two of those boxes, so in actuality, we got three boxes. There are too many things not good for us--processed cheese, hot dogs, sugar in yogurt. I may give some of this away rather than freezing it. Okay, I gave a away both quarts of eggs and Tommy kept the third gallon of milk. 

We took a whole box, plus 2 quarts eggs, and minus milk to Piggly Wiggly and gave it away to a woman leaving her car to shop. She was thrilled! So, that felt good to pass it on. I hope it helped her to save money or buy other things. 

Now, before I start dinner, I am going to bag and freeze the chopped chicken breast and divide the cheese and freeze it. Hotdogs and milk are in freezer. It's 5 pm. Dinner will be salad with chopped chicken. Tommy reminded me of salad, so YAY!

The hanging shelves are working out for making the set of shelves more useful by filling in the high space on each shelf. I got all of those in place. Tommy will go through the rest of the Halloween stuff and see what there is to put out. 

So Halloween continues...lol. It is 83F at 5 pm.





21 comments:

  1. It would be good if you could post a night picture of your display. It sounds nice and I think you enjoy it so that is the main thing. I too have been thinking about how to store the cans on my open shelves. I can either buy plastic containers made for can storage (you have several on top of one another) or make one out of boxes or use a magazine holder from the dollar store. I think I will do the last option. I don't know how often you get the food boxes. It sounds like every Friday you get two and even though you give some of it away pretty soon you are going to be out of house and home with all the food you need to store. What do you think? I used to purchase a lot of canned goods and dried foods and I can't help it because that's how I was raised. But I grew up in a full family and in my house now there are only 2 of us. We do not need so much in storage because some of will inevitably go to waste. I dislike waste of any kind as it's money down the drain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyful,
      I will try to get pictures. At night I will have to be careful in the dark and rough ground or I might fall. I don't mind cans on cans, but they will slide on shelves with no sides! However, cans on top of pop top cans is risky. Anything that works! I will store all I can in the freezer. The rest we eat or give away. No, I don't like waste.

      How does a magazine holder work for cans. Can you show a picture of that on your blog?

      Delete
    2. You asked for a photo on my blog about storing cans in magazine holders. Once I get the shelving all organized I will show a photo on my blog.

      Delete
  2. Here is a link I hope it work for you...click it and it should take you to ideas for organizing cans. All my suggestions in the first comment have sides because I too will have open shelving and so cans need to be contained and not roll all over the place. In the link they should magazine holders but the ones I'm think of are only half the width and taller. https://www.thekitchn.com/canned-food-storage-260784

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Showed" not "should". I hate that my keyboard sticks but they don't make this keyboard anymore so I am trying to make it last.

      Delete
  3. The wire baskets in one of the photos in this link is another idea I have in mind. I've seen similar wire baskets at the dollar store. https://food52.com/blog/23721-best-canned-food-storage-ideas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. Do you know how to open the link? Actually you will need to cut and paste the addresses into your browser (to very top of your screen where you type things in that you want to search. Then when you pressed enter or 'return' it should take you to the right boxes. If for some reason this doesn't work, just type 'ideas for storing canned goods' into your search bar. Good luck with getting something that works for you.

      Delete
    2. One other way to get to the photos...highlight the address in my comments and then right click your mouse. It should come up with menu options. Click the one that says 'link' or 'open link in new window'.

      Delete
    3. Joyful,
      I know how to cut and paste the address. My only problem with and past is the laptop pad. I have to use my wireless mouse to get it right the first try. I did go ahead and search and found lots of pictures of the magazine holders used in lots of ways. It was interesting.

      Delete
    4. Ok, that's great that you got a lot of photos to look at because it gives one ideas. Enjoy stylin your shelves :-)

      Delete
    5. Joyful,
      I have finally finished all the styling today. Now, the organize and get the food on shelves. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. The food box looks like it had a lot of good items in there. It was so nice of you to share with others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      It does have a lot of good items we like. I would hate to let it waste because I could not eat it. The woman seemed genuinely happy.

      Delete
  5. I got out the rest of the Halloween trimmings; it cheered me to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder if you could get a roll of wire and string it about 3" high across the back & sides of your shelving units to keep your canned goods from falling of the edge. I have seen thin wire strung this way to keep things from falling during earthquakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet,
      I was actually thinking about something like that--bungee cords.

      Delete
    2. Bungee cords would be a good solution.

      Delete
    3. Janet,
      I thought that was a good solution, but we will see.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...