Sunday, December 6, 2020

A Bare-Legged Ghost and Rudolph, Our Christmas Dog

One morning last week, Tommy told me he either dreamed it or he saw me or a bare-legged ghost. Well, that was so funny. He said he saw my bare leg or a ghost with a bare leg. He said he was not sure what he saw and did I go into the kitchen during the night. Well, I went into the kitchen when I left the living room, but not during the night. 

Since my whole leg is not showing when I am in my nightgown, we had a discussion about how much leg he saw--knee down or top of leg down. He saw from the top of the leg down--one bare leg he reiterated. 

We discuss this every day since it gives me the giggles to think of it.  Unless he went to sleep ten seconds after I left the living room and my gown was hiked up, he must have seen a bare-legged ghost

 One summer, my son who was about ten came home very upset. It seems a neighbor kid on the next block was throwing tiny kittens to a dog who would kill them.  I was upset and hugged him, told him that kids who torture animals grow up to hurt people. I told him to never go back.

Later that year between Christmas and New Year's Day, my son came in upset. It seems the same kid had claimed a little lost puppy that I refused to bring home. The kid got him from in front of our house and was headed home. I told my three kids to get in the car and instructed my son  to get his little sister in her car seat. We all ran.

The kid had not gotten far when I stopped and told him to give back our dog. He hid behind a telephone pole with the puppy. I told him to bring the dog to me, now. And, instructed my son to get the dog. Well, the kid handed it over. I told the kid never to touch our dog again. 

My plan was to take him to a shelter or advertise for the owner. I called to find the owner, but did not turn him over to anyone. But, you can imagine how the children loved the dog and begged to keep him. 

You can guess how that turned out. 

Finally, I told them to find a name. We had a dog named Puppy and a cat named Cat. So, I was adamant. After two days, I named him--Rudolph. There was outrage all around. I was again adamant. I told the children we would call him Rudy. 

They warmed to the idea several weeks after the dog knew his name. 

Now, we had two dogs and the first dog, Puppy, was so jealous.

The puppy, probably not yet 3 months old, had huge feet/paws, not a good sign. Yes, he grew up to be very large. Puppy was short and fat, a mutt with beagle ancestors. Rudy was a retriever.  He knew how to point and did so often. Once, when he was on the back porch as I put out a freshly bathed and dressed toddler, he turned and knocked her down concrete steps with his tail he wagged! 

I bathed her again, washed her hair, scraped sticks, dirt, and leaves from her mouth, dressed her again in clean clothes, and bandaged her cuts and put her out again. She tried to avoid Rudy for a long time.

One day, in the fall when the baby was the only one at home with me early in the morning, I heard her crying out, "Help, Get me out of here. HELP. I can't get out." Her voice seemed far away and I ran to the yard barefoot and in a nightgown too skimpy for the yard. 

Her voice sounded like she was inside something. Since there once was a well in the back yard and an outhouse, I was terrified. Finally, I yelled and followed her voice. She was in the doghouse and Rudy would not let her out. He kept taking his snout and pushing her back in. 

She got into the dog house several other times. I had to bathe her every time! She confessed when she was over 20 that she went in the dog house all the times other than the first because she did not like what she was wearing and wanted to change clothes!

Finally, when Rudy was grown, he decided he was going to follow us all over town. I was afraid he would be hit by a car. One day, I tried to get away, but he jumped fences keeping up with me. I drove the three blocks, straight to husband's church and ran up the front steps and let Rudy in the church. I told husband to take him to live in the country somewhere. I told him to take him home so I could leave the house.

That trip, I discussed with the children how Rudy was a country dog who was not suited to the city and not happy. So, we found a couple in the church who lived on a farm. The children did not want Rudy to be killed, so they reluctantly accepted his move to the farm. The went with their father to rehome him. When Rudy was let out of the car, the first thing he did was run jump into a lake. That proved to the children he liked it there. My children loved to swim, so I guess their dog liking to swim was good. He had never been in water before. 

He tried to get in the car when kids came home. We had promised they could visit him before we took him. When they went back to visit Rudy, he tried to get into the car and come back to his home, our home. That was heart-wrenching for all of us. But, I helped them to see he was happy and safe in the country. 

So, that is the story of Rudy, our Christmas dog. 

Did you have a Christmas dog or other animal? Did you ever have to take a dog to a farm in the country?

 

10 comments:

  1. I only think pets as gifts make sense if planned for well in advance. I hope the kid got help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a dog named Rudy too, but his full name was Rudolph Valentino because I gave him as a puppy to my wife one Valentine’s Day. Rudy was. Dachshund. He and I did not get along well because he wanted to be the alpha dig in the house and I was already it. By Memorial Day my wife decided to re-home him with a family that had a big fenced pasture and a couple of dachshunds already. She said either he or I had to go and it had taken too long to train me to want to train another man. I tell myself she was joking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the one legged ghost story lol! I'm glad you rescued Rudy from the nutcase kid even if he later had to go live in the country. When my kids were little I found a Lab one Christmas evening, she was nothing but skin and bones. We named her Crissy and had her fattened up in no time. She was such a good dog and the kids loved her. About 6 months later some teenager knocked on our door at midnight. It only woke my husband. The kid said you have my dog. My husband said the dog was so happy to see the kid that he let him take her! We were all heartbroken when he told us the next morning. I'm still mad at him to this day thinking of the condition poor Crissy was in the night I found her, and he turned her right back over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha,
      Yes, the bare-legged ghost was funny. Hopefully, the teenager had nothing to do with her condition. But, it was a shame to lose her.

      Delete
  4. We got our oldest dog just before Christmas when he was about 3 months old, so he was sort of a Christmas puppy. When I was 5 I was attacked by the neighbors german shepherd dog. They had to take him to a farm to live, I remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      I would say she was a Christmas puppy. It is a good thing the german shepherd dog was removed from access to you. Scary. At least this retriever was so sweet and never even barked.

      Delete
  5. I think dogs are commitments for their lifetime, which is why I do not currently have one even though I love dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did not abandon the dog. We gave him up for his own health and happiness. We loved him enough to give him up.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...