Monday, December 7, 2020

Tooth Extraction and Christmas Commences

 This writing is on Sunday night as I will be up at 4:30 am to get a tooth extracted at 6:30 am. I am afraid, very afraid. 

Tommy's birthday is Wednesday, but since I am not sure what I will feel like then, we celebrated his birthday Sunday. I don't feel like cooking a proper birthday dinner. So, we made do.

I took a chicken out of the crock pot today since I put it into the crockpot Friday. I took out the breast meat, gave him the rest and he took the meat off those bones. His dinner was chicken, stovetop stuffing, cranberry sauce, slaw. Then, he had vanilla ice cream on a slice of Red Velvet cake with two lit candles. I sang "Happy Birthday." 

Publix had Mayfield Ice Cream bogo so one-half gallon of vanilla and one of chocolate. And, I got one slice of Red Velvet Cake and we shared it. 

Then, he opened his gifts from me--nose hair and ear hair trimmer. I think it trims sideburns, too. It has batteries, four tips, beard trimmer, and two combs for eyebrows. He smiled broadly when he saw it. I also gave him a book--Birds of Alabama and a cd that goes with it with Bird Songs of Alabama. This will go with his binoculars. He is always talking about "wonder what kind of bird that is" or "what bird is singing?" 

He spent a long time putting batteries in the trimmer and looking it over and reading the instructions. Just now, he spent a long time in the bathroom using it. So, I guess it is a hit.

Ordering from Amazon is so much easier than going into a store and searching for the product and going to another store when I cannot find what I want. 

I have been looking for a mesh sweater dryer. I had one but cannot find it in stores. I have looked a dozen times for the last few months. None of my sweaters have been washed from last winter. Now, I can dry two at a time since this is  a double decker that can be used singly instead of stacked. 

You know I have been searching in stores for original Dawn. Well, three bottles were delivered last week and there was a problem. They sent more and told me to throw out the others. I now have six bottles of Dawn. If I were paid for the times I searched, I would comfortable. I won't have to order these again for months. 

Plus, these are aisles I do not have to worry about shopping and infecting myself with covid19.  There are items I buy each month, and I am slowly ordering these from Amazon. It is just as cheap most of the time, and I $ get credits if I don't need it tomorrow or the next day.  

I had looked for a pair of binoculars for me, and could find none of quality in stores. Okay, some were just too expensive. Now, I have a good pair and did not have o spend too much. 

Now, I cannot find Ziploc Pint Freezer Bags. I use a quart bag for really small amounts. So, I ordered 300 bags, Industrial Box at $.08 cents per bag. 

I even have some items sent once each month. I forgot what that program is called. I am not taking money from local businesses since they don't have some items. 

Tommy and I can spend our "out" time looking at Christmas decorations or something other than my going into a hotbed of virus and his sitting in the car. 

I got a mesh wreath for the front door. It did not show behind the storm door, so I put the hanger on the storm door and it is outside. Now, it needs fairy lights so it shows up after dark. 

Tommy finally pulled down all the branches on the tiny artificial tree so I can decorate it.  I bought another set of small ornaments as there were not enough last year. He put out his dancing Santa that is solar. 

I just looked up the address of the oral surgeon I am going to and have used before. I needed to see if his office had moved. It has not. AND, now he has an office in Gardendale. Going to Gardendale would save us about 80 miles on the round trip! 

Okay, tooth out! Back home!

I was going to have a root canal, but decided the infection might not be 100% gone and bacteria would be left to cause another infection/problem. The alternative to root canal was extraction and implant. I did not want the implant immediately since the ground bone could be put in the hole and still have infection left. I ran my thoughts by the endocrinologist who agreed with me and thought it was prudent since I have diabetes. 

So, the tooth was pulled and in four months I can have an implant. I opted not to be sedated. He gave me extra numbing for tooth and pulled it without breaking off the tooth. Believe it or not, this was the "best" visit to a dentist in my whole life. I felt nothing. 

I have more azithromycin and oxycodone. I took about a third of an oxy and could barely get into the house. Since I am woozy, I am going in for a nap and it is 10:45 am.

Back up from nap. I obviously will not be able to take a whole oxycodone since I can barely walk. At least, I can take half one during the day and maybe at night. 

So, now I will be okay for Christmas.

23 comments:

  1. I agree, better to have it pulled. Happy Birthday to Tommy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you were able to get the tooth pulled. Hopefully any lingering infection will heal up. Happy birthday to Tommy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel,
      Diving an hour and a half to have a tooth extracted shows how much I hurt and how much I wanted it gone! Tommy says, "Thanks."

      Delete
  3. Good for you on your tooth. I'm a big believer in drugs for dentistry. I practically need to be under general sedation even for teeth cleaning. Not because of pain, but because of claustrophobia and anxiety. It works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice present you got him. He will enjoy identifying the beautiful Alabama birds and seeing them close up with his binoculars.
    We have such a different set of birds here in the UK. Sometimes one or two of your birds get blown across the Atlantic by the autumn gales. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      He has been looking through the book and listening to the cd in the car when he has to wait for me. So, I suppose he likes it.

      Delete
  5. Happy Birthday to Tommy, and I'm glad you are now able to move forward with your poor tooth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      I have no more poor tooth. Thanks. Tommy says thanks.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad your tooth pulling went well. Amazon delivered 3 packages today to me, haha. It's just too easy to order from there and it's here in a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK enough - which is just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you get Tommy The Thomas Imhoff Birds of Alabama book? It is spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      No, I got another, but I will keep it in mind for the next bird book I get him.

      Delete
  9. Shortly after college and moved out on my own for my first job, I had an abscessed tooth. Never before or since have I known such pain. I could not find a dentist could schedule a root canal for less than 3 weeks out, and I was in misery, with only antibiotics to help. That Friday evening, I drove the 3 hours to my parents, where I met my childhood dentist in his office, and extracted the tooth in about 15 minutes, with nothing but Novacain. I hopped out of the chair feeling great. Like you, it was one of the easiest dentist visits ever. Since then, I will always opt for extraction over a root canal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg B.,
      This was the most horrendous pain ever. I would choose childbirth over the tooth pain I had. I needed an oral surgeon for this as no dentist would pull it. I, too, was scheduled for a three week wait. However, I only got an appointment due to a cancellation. I know that a three-hour drive would have been difficult. Only the infection and my diabetes made me choose extraction. But, that may be the case from now on. Novocain was my only pain killer, too.

      Delete
  10. Glad you got your tooth sorted, at this point if I have tooth issues I am having them pulled too. Health issues sometimes outweigh what a lot of dentists want to do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheapchick,
      I try to avoid extraction. But, there was too much infection to try to remove it and plug it up! Extraction was the best way to go this time. My health was the issue for me, too.

      Delete
  11. I am so sorry that you had to go through such pain from your tooth being infected, it sounds like a horrible time.

    Two days after my cataract surgery last week, I somehow broke off a corner of a molar, I don't know what broke it. It isn't hurting yet, and it doesn't seem infected, but I called the cataract surgeon to see if I was ok to go get dental work done since it has been one day less that a week since the cataract surgery. She said yes as long as I didn't have to have my head upside down for any reason. Since it is a lower molar, I don't think I will be upside down for any reason. I was so thankful when my good,dear, kind dentist (can you tell I like him a lot), he got me over my horrible fear of dentists with his kindness, answered the phone and can see me soon. I'm praying it won't have to be pulled. Since I have had knee replacement surgery, I have to take two big horse pills of antibiotic before any dental work is done to insure no infection will get going from the dental work and spread to my knee areas. When I had my wisdom tooth pulled in February, I only had them use local anesthetic shots to numb the area. It absolutely did not hurt at all. I closed my eyes, I felt the numbing shots go in and that only stung for a half second, then I felt a slight pulling and there was the broken off wisdom tooth. Only one corner was broken off with decay. The other points of the tooth were fine, a bit yellowed, but fine, and the roots were as white and clean and healthy as could be. The tooth hole healed fine until a week later when it had a 16 hour bleed due to the blood thinner I take, that I was told it would be time for me to start again the day after the extraction, which I did. When I called and spoke with the doctor he said I should have probably waited a bit longer to start them again, even though that is not what he said the first time.

    I hope every thing goes well with your extraction site and it heals up quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have broken bits of a molar that were not near the pulp and did not hurt, just needed repair. That is terrible about the bleed. The shots did not hurt at all which hurt for just a second, nothing at all. I was thinking as I got up to leave that I thought my fear of dentists was gone.

    I am glad you conquered that fear with a great dentist.

    It was a horrible experience before I saw the oral surgeon.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...