Monday, December 14, 2020

Christmas Card Problems and Fantastical Gift Wrapping

 Today, it is dreary and coolish, 41F. Plus, it is cloudy and there is a slight breeze after a rainy night. Alltogether, a good day for a nap which I won't get. 

I managed to finish half my Christmas cards, not without pain. I bought gel pens, thinking I also was getting a green. No. In the package was red, gold, silver, and white. What is more, the red is rather pale on envelopes. On the card, the red pen is a bright red. So, I am hoping machines can read the pale red on the envelopes. 

Once I found the envelopes on Saturday, I put them back in the box and put it away until Sunday. Something happened. All the envelopes were wrinkled like they had gotten damp. 

Using the gel pens was slow-going since they smudged easily. I had to let envelopes and cards opened wide lie around to dry the ink. So, the smudgy ones were the first ones addressed. 

Sure, these are first-world problems, annoying but not life affecting happenings!  Have you finished your Christmas cards yet?

Many years ago, at the same time I was a vendor at craft shows, I also bought wholesale and sold retail picture frames. Since I always helped my best friend buy gifts for his family, I offered this deal to him--only pay wholesale + tax. He did not like the idea since I would be "making money off him."  This idea would be so much easier than helping him buy. 

He finally got it that I made no money from this sale. I ordered dozens of frames and we chose his from the order that came in a week later. He thought maybe buying frames for everyone was not creative and showed no thought. Well, this floozy who helped him buy one year thought a platter with a turkey on it was perfect for his wealthy cousin. I was appalled at the things she picked out. Oh well. 

On to the gift wrapping.

All the picture frames were white and from different manufacturers. I chose white boxes and red tissue paper to go inside around the frames. Then, I wrapped the white boxes in red glossy paper. 

The "bow" was the stunner. 

I used all white: 3 kinds of curling ribbon, lace in two widths, lace with wire in the edges, strings of pearls, feathers, charms. A glue gun brought it all together. The lace with wire in the edges was spiraled around a pencil for a fanciful shape. Each of these were fashioned on a piece of white board from a shirt box and then glued onto the package. 

When held up, the curling ribbon extended from my chest to the floor. Each completed topper was over six inches in diameter. John reported how much everyone (15 people) loved them. After gifts were opened and paper thrown out, various family members were trying to get others to trade them their white fantasy topped. I called them toppers because they were more than a bow. 

Through the year various family members I happened to meet out and about mentioned the wrapping. The funny part was that John thought giving frames two years in a row was too much, that everyone would not have anything to put into another frame. I questioned a few family members who confirmed my thought that two frames was NOT too many.  They loved the second round, too. 

I love to wrap gifts! 

Do you like or love to wrap gifts, no matter whose gifts they are? Have you pulled off spectacular gift wrap? 

16 comments:

  1. You are ahead of your time! This Christmas I discovered "Messy Bows" on You Tube! They are exactly as you describe and they sound lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LEFting,
      Actually, those bows are nothing like mine. But, I suppose they are a good idea for scraps. Nothing about mine were scraps, all new things and cut just for the project. Since they were all white, they were quite ethereal. Nothing about mine was stacked. Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  2. I hate gift wrapping and am behind in cards. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love wrapping presents and am very intense on matching paper, bows and labels...... love it but can get a bit! (8 “kids” and 12 grandkids and am sure I’ve wrapped 100 so far. But a good outlet for my Covid isolation this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. JRE,
    At least you have something to keep you busy...lol. That is a lot of presents!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My cards are done and mailed, I will finish all the wrapping tomorrow and then I can reclaim the dining room table. I like to wrap.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how I love to wrap presents! I didn't like it so much when I was young (teenager) as I had to wrap my own gifts! I thought it was a travesty. But I'll wrap all the gifts now. I love making them beautiful. My favorite is shiny paper even though it's so expensive. I, too, take time to make my own bows and ribbons. I've made a few that would qualify as a "topper" as well.

    I have completed 76 Christmas cards and have approximately a dozen more to do. I must get to them today as all but one are to be mailed. I used a green felt tip pen to sign the cards, it was quite festive. It didn't work as well on the envelopes as many of them are red, the green ink looked muddled. So I used blue when necessary.

    I can remember the first time I heard the word floozy, I thought it was such a funny word. It was probably early 1980's. Your use of it today made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      That is a travesty to wrap your own gifts as a teen! I only buy gift wrap when it is fifty cents or a quarter. All this shiny red paper was what he bought and he could afford it.

      I wish I had a picture of my topper and yours! I have finished 16 cards and have only five more stamps, so will have to get more stamps if I do more.

      That is funny because I heard the word floozy in the 1950s.

      Delete
  7. No, I do not like gift wrapping and I always seem to wait until as late as possible to do it LOL. Though, one year, when the kids were young I waited until Christmas eve...and then got the flu. Since then I at least try to get it done a week before. My dh had his all wrapped 2 weeks ago, as soon as I put the tree up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      How awful to get the flu on Christmas Eve. He is really on the ball to get it done so soon.

      Delete
  8. I hate wrapping gifts. Oh I love seeing them when they're beautifully done but I always seem to be so rushed so it's jut a chore to me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hate gift wrapping, if you lived close I would pay you to wrap my gifts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      I would hate to take your money, but I have dreamed of getting paid for wrapping gifts.

      Also, I love to decorate hats.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...