Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Christmas Junk Box Gift

 I always gave my family presents at Christmas. But, early in my marriage, I made a box of tiny items, read cheap items, that I had gotten all year long. Usually, there were a dozen items in the box. I often found reduced items that looked useful and bought four--one for me, one for my mother, and one for both my two sisters. 

A coffee scoop was reduced to ten cents. It went into the box. I cannot remember anything else, but I still had the scoop up until last year. I never used it for coffee, but other things need to be scooped. I put it in the homemade hot chocolate mix. 

None of the items were worthy of being called a gift on their own and certainly not wrapped. The first year, I would not allow the recipients to open that gift first lest they be stunned and insulted. 

One year, my sister said the "junk box," what I called the gift, was the best gift of all. That was a shock since she got good things from me! She explained it was fun. 

My father and two brothers were not recipients of this gift because everything in the junk box was girly stuff or homemaking type items (like the scoop). 

This is a strange gift, sort of an auxiliary gift. I know this tradition has not reached the nation. It would have been too much for a stocking. AND, I was transporting this to my mother's house. 

Do you have a tradition or practice that might be looked upon as strange or new? 

14 comments:

  1. Don't know if it is new but we each buy and wrap a $10 gift and at our get together we pick a wrapped gift out of the pile, unwrap them, and then trade unwrapped gifs like a game. For our grandchildren we do not give Christmas gifts. It got too be too much and we all decided to only give them birthday gifts. On their birthday the younger ones get a nice gift and the older ones get money to buy their own things which they really like. We have a large family and this makes things fun and not stressful for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann,
      It is a unique way for family gifts at Christmas, picking boxes. For large families there has to be some relief from the stress. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. I do this too, not every year though. I think it's fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyful,
      It was a way to give my relatives all the little things I picked up that I thought they might like and use. I hope people enjoyed yours, too.

      Delete
    2. They do seem to. I know I have enjoyed receiving similar gifts.

      Delete
  3. My best friend gives a crazy "Gag" gift to each family member. I should tell you about the one she gave me one Christmas! That was really something!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I like this - a junk box of knickknacks!
    I hope to try this next year, slowly gathering bits up through the year for a 12/2021 idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be interesting to hear what you manage to put away for gifts in the junk box.

      Delete
  5. I think a "junk box" filled with little items is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom did something like that for each of us before we got married. She would buy assorted gadgets,useful, but as they were on sale or inexpensive. It made a lovely shower gift, and yes, many things are still used by me 33 years later..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      That was a good idea to get them on sale or inexpensive. And, the fact you still use them proves they were good quality.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...