Monday, December 28, 2020

Fever and Food

I had not been able to wash dishes or cook most of the time for ten days, so there were stacks of dishes, not plates or anything for eating. Storage and glass bowls and casseroles were all over. 

My temperature was 99.8 on Christmas Day and again on Sunday. So, I started taking antibiotic again. However, Monday morning it was again up to 98.9. 

After Christmas Day my temp slowly came down from early morning to night, down to 97. 8. Then, it went  back up again on Sunday. My normal temperature is usually 97.2. So, you can see the problem here. Maybe a trip to an ENT will solve this mystery.  

Sunday, I was up about 8:30 and back to bed by 9:30 and back up by 1:00 pm. I sat here a bit and finally told Tommy I needed KFC. He was ready and willing. So, after eating KFC breast meal, I felt revived, if not well. 

After KFC I was starving a few hours later. Once again, Tommy helped me get food to eat. He opened the can of Hormel Roast Beef, I peeled two potatoes, and he found with my directions the pound of baby carrots. He brought me the cookie sheet, knife, potatoes, onion and cooking bag. I did everything from the sofa! Maybe some day, he can do this for himself, but I have my doubts. Dinner was delicious. 

Still, I wanted something...lol. Later, I decided I would make a cheese cake, the no-bake kind. I managed to drop the bought crumb crust with the clear top still on. So, I put the pieces into two bowls, put the topping in and divided the thawed strawberries  and put it on top. We could eat our own bowl as we pleased, whatever time line suited each of us. 

The no-bake cheesecake was awful. I used Cool Whip instead of whipped cream. And, I did not thaw the CW before I stirred it into the cream cheese, so it was not consistently smooth. The strawberries were a taste of summer, strawberries I froze this summer. 

Monday, today, I finally set about to cooking and washing dishes with Tommy heavily involved. He wanders off when he thinks it is over...lol. Right now, he is looking for black beans, whole kernel corn, and tomatoes. With his help I browned ground pork on the stove. I know I can put it in the crock pot, but I don't. When it has everything in the crock pot, I will see if the turkey breast is rotten since it has been in the refrigerator, thawing, for a week. 

The taco salad can be frozen so we will have food prepared. It ends up being taco soup when it is put into the Crock Pot. But, I love it. Same with frozen turkey breast portions. I much prefer having a turkey or chicken sandwich to eating fast food when we are out and about here or out of town. 

Baking a turkey is too difficult for me anymore. So, I am going to stick to turkey breasts or chickens to bake until they are all cooked and frozen. I decided I will bake the three turkeys in the freezer, one after another, and freeze the meat. That will certainly give me more room in the freezer and meats cooked for quick and easy meals. 

Last week, I bought a 6 lb. bag of broccoli florets, so that and frozen carrots will make a quick meal, too. The carrots are in the freezer, blanched and raw or cooked/baked. 

My next food goal later this week is potato soup with carrot coins, cheese and kale and bacon. Yum! 

My friend who is 88 said she has cooked meals for a family for 70 years and she is just tired of it. So, she and her 90-year-old husband run out for a fast food meal every day. I am not at that point, but near...lol. 

Now, my temp is 99.6. I refuse to take anything to reduce my fever since a fever is a sign my body is fighting for me. 

10 comments:

  1. So sorry you still aren't well. I've been working almost all day long today- I procrastinated with my job and am vowing to NOT do that again. We have a new system where you have to enter progress notes UGH and it is so tedious.2021 resolution I am going to write a note within 24 hours of the contact! My other big one is to use my fitbit and walk at least 5000 steps. A few years ago I walked 10,000 but got lazy. I still cook for myself but it does get old and why does a salad ordered out taste so much better than one made at home?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan,
      When I worked at a college, each student had to have a folder with certain items. When someone from the state came to inspect our system, I was the person chosen to have her files examined. They knew I kept it up and did not procrastinate. Still, I went through every file folder to make sure. The school was mighty happy. Right now, I am sure I would procrastinate.

      I was thinking about Ruby Tuesday salads last week. I get nothing special, but they taste better than a salad I make at home. I miss Ruby Tuesday. I miss trips there. But, if they all closed, I will miss them forever.

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry you are not feeling well, but you seem to know what your body needs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam,
      Thanks. I am trying to do what I need. Food seems to be my top concern when I am ill. Right now, I am trying not to eat everything I think about eating...lol.

      Delete
  3. So sorry you still aren't well. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! Hopefully it isn't covid and you get well quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Get some of the young ones to do it" is an expression my elderly aunts and church members would say when they had had enough of doing all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      Exactly! And, some of those young people are in fast food restaurants. I wish I had one here to do things!

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...