Tuesday, December 29, 2020

New Utensil, Missing, Gifts, Kidnapped by a Nap




Browning ground meat was always time consuming since I had to stand at the stove and chop and break up the chunk of ground meat with an egg turner/spatula. Now, it is more difficult. I was looking through a Rada catalogue and found the perfect tool. This is a meat chopper. I used it for the first time for the ground pork on Monday.

I used it with the head straight onto the meat, not at an angle as in the picture above. I love this utensil. I showed Tommy how to use it and he chopped most of the ground pork. This is not for pounding, just cutting and separating the ground meat. It is certainly a time-saver. I have seen a similar tool from some other company. Have you ever used one of these? 

Monday afternoon, we washed and dried most of the dirty dishes while the ground pork cooked and browned some. With a fever, dishwashing was so difficult! So, I started the taco casserole in the crock pot which will be more like taco soup. One by one, Tommy opened cans and dumped the contents  into the crock pot. We tracked down one of my five-pound bags of Uncle Ben's par-boiled brown rice. Finally, I needed one last ingredient. But I could not find it. Remember, it is dark as night in kitchen and living room!

Tommy looked for canned, diced tomatoes, too. None! None were in the stash in the bedroom. On the new shelves I finally found a 29 oz. jar of Hunt's tomato sauce! That would do. Diced tomatoes are better, but this is fine. 

If I had not found this can of tomato sauce, I would have had to run to The Pig to get it. I did contemplate putting a jar of spaghetti sauce in the taco salad. I doubt it would have mattered once I put in the taco seasoning. What do you think? Would a jar of spaghetti work for this spicy dish?

I questioned why I had no tomato sauce or bits, well, beyond one can. I know why. I had plans for frozen or canned tomatoes so did not stock up. I will solve this hole in food stocks by the end of the week! 

Tuesday morning

I slept better than I have in a week and awoke with temp of 98F. Remember, this is still fever area for me. Yesterday, I decided we would stay home instead of going for my mail. 

Gifts

For Tommy, I gave him four books, one on birds, a book on insects, a book on wildflowers, and a Field Guide to Tree of North America. He spent hours reading. For his birthday, I gave him a book about birds and the accompanying cd. 

One day, we had several stops to make. We did all of them with time to spare and had to wait for an hour for the next stop. Since it is too far to go home, we just sat in the shade and listened to the bird cd. Finally, I leaned my seat back and was kidnapped by a nap. This was such a pleasant experience since I was just going to rest my back.

Speaking of resting, I need to do that right now.

8 comments:

  1. I have a star chopper and use it so often, especially when cooking ground meats.
    You asked on my blog about the little chair in my pantry- I do use it as a step stool as it is very sturdy. When the church I grew up in had a sale, I got 2 of these little wood chairs that had been used in Sunday School rooms. I probably sat in them as a child and now I have them in my home and use them almost daily.

    I’m sure hope you are feeling better soon ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhonda,
      Thanks for the name--star chopper. I was at a loss as what to call it. I could tell the little chair was old and sturdy! That is nice that you have something from your past that is still useful everyday. I am hoping to feel better soon, too. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. The books you gave your husband sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy,
      Tommy is not my husband, just a good friend. Thanks, he really likes them.

      Delete
  3. I have the meat chopper also made by Pampered Chef. They make one that size and a smaller one. I love mine! It chops hamburger in to very small pieces especially for spaghetti/ tomato sauce. I also use mine for chopping boiled potatoes for potato salad! Pat/ Central Texas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. j,
      I could not remember "Pampered Chef" for the life of me. Thanks. I only bought mine for chopping ground meat. But, now, I will use it for potatoes. Thanks for the idea.

      Delete
  4. In my 2020 cooking lessons I learned the valuable lesson to have all ingredients in place and ready to cook. Who knew?
    I think having a few tins of tomatoes in the pantry is some sort of good luck charm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      I don't think anyone ever taught me that beyond my teen years when I watched and helped my mother and then cooked on my own. I KNEW! I only had one can, and now I have six and am watching for a sale.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...