Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Solutions and a Christmas Door Mat

Solution 1: Tuesday, as I stood up, it became apparent to me that I am no longer dizzy. Before, I had to lean over and hold to a table, walking my hand around it until I could reach the door knob and use it to stand up straight. Before, I wobbled dangerously as I turned a corner to go into a room through a door. Only the door frame save me from falling. In the kitchen I could not turn without flinging out my arms for balance and reaching for a potential hand hold. 

So, I am presuming this all has to be because the tooth is GONE. Plus, I have been taking an antibiotic  for 25 days. Tommy also thinks this is not correlation but causation. Remember the fall/slide to the table? Well, this has been going on for about five months, maybe more. I have whacked my head often. Getting out of the car into an electric cart is tricky with my having to hold onto the door and get hold of the cart, never letting go completely. 

Solution 2: Tuesday, we heard a slight noise at the door. When we heard a vehicle leave, I checked for a package. I received my box of 300 quart zip lock freezer bags. I will have to keep only about 50 of these on the shelf in the kitchen. The rest will be taped to seal the box and kept in the bedroom. So, one more item for which I do not have to shop or search.  

When we moved into the house that was 4000 sq ft, it seemed that it was made for decorating. I made swags for the stair railings and further decorated the swags on the railings. Then, I wanted a Christmas door mat inside the door. I would rather make one than buy one. Well, I decorated a mat. 

Door mat: I had my daughter who was only seven-years-old make it. She enhanced one that was woven, maybe some sort of grass, thick with large square holes? I gave her some cheap, red paper Christmas ribbon about 3/4 inch wide or maybe 1 inch. It was what I had. I explained how to weave it in and out around the edge and to be careful it stayed flat with shiny side up. I assured her that she could do it and I would like it. She finished that and it was as good as I could have done. Then, we attached a plastic poinsettia bloom to one corner. It was perfect and she was soooo proud of what she had done. 

When we had a party and when any company came, every person stepped over the mat and stepped straight onto the new carpet right with wet or muddy feet. I asked a few people why--"so I won't mess up the door mat!" Everyone praised the pretty mat and my daughter was pleased the did.

This daughter became quite accomplished in crafts and ornamentation of existing items.  She also provided her children with crafts, paints and such, all the time.

Can you relate an instance of decorating, especially on a budget. Or any occasion where you taught your child who helped. Oh, just any decorating experience that we might enjoy, that you enjoyed, or that inspired your child. 

6 comments:

  1. That’s amazing that having that tooth gone has improved other things too.
    Who knows why?

    My funniest decorating story was years ago, when sponged painting was the rage. We live in a small house in the country with a very tiny income and 4 kids. The hall bathroom really needed repainted but I couldn’t even dream of affording a gallon of paint. So I tried sponge paint that bathroom with 2 little bottles of tan craft paint that were left from a church project. Well, when I was done, it looked even worse, like maybe the kids had purposely spread Oklahoma mud on the walls. A few weeks later when I had $2 to spare, I bought more craft paint in cream and country blue and sponged those walls some more. That helped, but it was still pretty awful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhonda,
      I can imagine how it looked with only two little bottles of paint. At least you could improve it some. Poignant and funny story.

      Delete
    2. It’s something my kids still laugh about.

      Delete
  2. I am glad that you got your tooth taken care of and are feeling better now.

    Infected teeth can kill a person. Seriously. Several years ago my husband became very sick with what seemed like a stomach bug to the doctors. It was strange, he would be sort of alright in the day, but in the early evening his temperature would shoot up real fast and he would get horrible chills. He went to our doctor, who said it was a probably a stomach bug. Ok, it wasn't unusually bad yet. Days went by and the same thing except he was getting higher fever at night and bad nausea, and then one night he became delirious and had the high fever, didn't know he was on the couch instead of the recliner, but woke up alright, but weak the next day, our primary care doc who he had seen before was off that day, so I took my husband to an urgent care place. That doctor said that my husband had a stomach bug. I was in the room with him, and I told her this is not a stomach bug, I've known my husband for 50 years and this is not how he acts with a stomach bug. She gave him no medicine. We went home. When evening came the fever came and the stomach sickness, and the terrible chills.
    He stayed in the bed that night, very sick, but we had been told that day it was a stomach bug. I couldn't sleep and was sitting in the living room listening to my husband breathe. He was breathing weird, real fast. I went in and asked him if he was ok and he said yes, but he was really shivering. Like in the old movies when the soldiers would get malaria. Then he was being sick, and he went back to sleep, still with the fast breathing. At 6 am I heard him trying to get up and he couldn't. He was out of his head delirious. I called 911. They came and took him in the ambulance to the hospital. His blood pressure dropped so low they gave him IV fluids to keep him going. He was diagnosed with Sepsis. He had come real close to dying. He was in the ICU for 7 days while they grew cultures to find out what was wrong with him. At one time he was on five different IV antibiotics to cover anything it could have been. He was bad sick. It turned out to be peptostreptococcus that they determined to be caused by some severe tooth decay that he had let go. He got to come out of ICU and then went into a regular hospital room. He was in the hospital a total of 14 days, and finally got to come home with an antibiotic that was given through a pic tube which was a small tube that entered into the upper part of his arm down through the vein to near his heart. That tube delivered antibiotic for quite a few more days. My daughter, who is an RN, told me "Mom, you know Dad came close to dying when his blood pressure was that low in the ambulance." I told her I knew.

    Two lessons I learned, watch out for dental infections, and if you have a true sense that your loved one or yourself is a lot sicker than doctors are thinking they are, insist on seeing another doctor and tests run. The other thing was that strange fast breathing that my husband was doing, that was worrying me that night, that meant he was coming close to going into shock.

    I go to the dentist a lot more now than I used to. My husband had to have several teeth pulled. Everyone, watch out for your teeth, they can really get you down in a bad way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie,
      I am so glad he pulled through. That IS scary. I told Tommy today that I could have died. This ear and being dizzy thing is just too close to my brain for comfort. I am still going to pursue that ear problem since it still hurts. I have six more days of azithromycin. I had no idea the dizziness was from a tooth. And, this has been months before the tooth hurt.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...