Sunday, January 3, 2021

Counting Coins and Blackeyed Peas

 Suddenly, I decided to count my change that I have put into the Tootsie Roll bank that Tootsie Rolls come in. When I started using a debit card almost exclusively, I still had a bit of change. That went into the jar, but it was about $2 because I had not used money much, and I never wanted to touch what change I had. 

Since I wanted it counted, I asked Tommy to do so. . . lol He took it and counted it for me and recorded the number of each coin. 

Once, I had stuffed a $1 bill in, too. Why? I don't know, just to boost the count I suppose. So, here it is. 

Pennies 89

nickels 33

dimes 31

quarters 45

One-dollar bill 1

Total $17.89

I think I will just stick it back in the bank unless I figure out something to do with it. I may use it to buy purses for my Pink Purse Charity. 

Of course, we had blackeyed peas for New Years. Usually, I buy the cheapest I can find, $0.99/lb. When the panic buying started, I decided to up my count of beans by another pound. Only, none were left at any price. Then, one day, I passed the bean aisle, and found one lone bag of beans, one pound of Camelia. 

I paid $2.49/lb and was just horrified. The only dried beans I ever buy or eat are Navy Beans, Great Northern Beans, and Blackeyed Peas. And, I have never paid over about one dollar per pound. But, I bought them. 

Last year, I cooked them in the crock pot for New Year's Day. Usually BEPs fall apart and can go to mush before I can finish the pot. Well, these BEPs did not fall apart at all. Even after 14 hours in the CP, every last bean was intact! I am still in shock. Do you ever cook BEPs? Do yours fall apart or remain intact? Does it matter to you? I like the ones that fall apart. Have you ever had Camellia brand? 

I am having trouble remembering what day it is. Are you? Holidays mess with my mind. 

8 comments:

  1. I once cooked black eyed peas, I don't remember them falling apart but I remember i cooked too many and they went off before I used them all!

    Happy new year to you and Tommy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. kylie,
    I remember discussing it with you one year. Ordinarily, I would not cook as many as I did. Ordinarily, they would be eaten quickly and lots at one time. Now, I will freeze some for future meals.

    Thank you. Happy New Year to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do cook BEPs and I try to be careful because they usually fall apart no matter how I try not to over cook them. I prefer navy beans which don't turn to mush quite so easily. It is harder to find navy beans here or good beans in general unless I go out of my way to go shopping. I prefer to buy whatever I can a block or two away rather than one or two bus rides away. I am finding it difficult like you are remembering what day it is. I'm actually on a blog break right now so likely won't be commenting as often for the time being. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyful,
      I usually just buy the cheapest BEP on the shelf and the stores are close. Now, the cheap, familiar ones are not on the shelf. I won't buy Camellia again. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  4. I can usually find frozen black eyed peas. I prefer them to dry beans. I like to add them to a pot of vegetable soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet,
      I have never even considered buying frozen bep! Well, there is a way to avoid a long cooking time. I will have to remember that.

      Delete
  5. Someone almost went into cataplexy when on New Years day he realized he hadn't bought any black-eyed peas. He settled on a tin of such and the day/year was saved. I tactually didn't point out we had peas on 2020 and looked how that turned out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      That WAS an emergency! I am glad you found them in time to avert disaster. I was thinking the same thing about what good it did last year. I suppose things could have been worse for me.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...