Saturday, January 23, 2021

Food, Exercise, Vaccine, Grocery Shopping

 On Friday, I got my name in for a covid vaccine at my allergist's office. I had a terrible reaction to a vaccination, so I need to be at his office. The thing is, I only had the reaction after about 10 hours and it lasted for over two days. So, I at least feel safer. And, if I end up in the ER, he will have my history.  I am not yet 75 (only 74), so not eligible for current lists. I do hear otherwise, but have not found it to be so. 

I got Tommy on a list last week, so I am not sure what that will mean for him. He is only 67 but has diabetes.

The first day, Thursday, on the elliptical just about killed me. Fifteen minutes was too long. I was in pain and had legs and toes go numb and my back was in the worst pain ever. So, today is Friday and I will only pedal for 5 minutes today. I am not giving up, but I am not pushing.

Right now, it is 57F at 5 pm. It has been nice today. Tommy washed clothes and brought in the ones he dried out of that load. I still have to hang the wet things.

We were both out of milk. He can drink mine, but I cannot drink his milk. He is working on expiring UHT milk, four quarts. So, I shopped.

3 half gallons of a2milk

cheapish grape tomatoes

Publix bag of Italian salad greens

Thursday night after the first 15 minutes on the elliptical, I was in misery with parts of leg and toes going numb and pain elsewhere. So, on Friday, rather than give up, I vowed to do 5 minutes if it killed me. Well, it almost did. Tommy timed me with the stopwatch on his cell phone. I dragged myself off. 

I told Tommy we were washing dishes at 6:30. 

1 $0.59 truffle Valentine candy

3 Kraft Chunk Cheddar Cheese 2/$6

2  bags grated Kraft Cheese 2/$6

Bologna for freezer

Special K bogo, I got one strawberry and one raspberry

1 lb. butter

maybe something else, but doubt it.

Tommy cleared out two blazers and one suit to donate. He insists one suit still fits that he bought 20 years ago or more. I doubt it. But, whatever. 

Thursday and Friday we gave food to individuals in grocery parking lots. Yes, we should have made one trip. Both women were happy to get any kind of food. 

At 6:30 pm, we started washing dishes. I lasted until 6:35 and went to bed and curled up. I had decided that i would lie there for 10 minutes. I did and got back up to wash again. Tommy was drying all the time I was washing. Then, at 7 pm we started dinner--Texas Toast type bread with butter and garlic and put under the broiler. We had salad with it. The hour and a half of torture just about did me in. 

Thursday night after the 15 minute session, I had lot of pain and numbness during the night. Friday, I was still  in lots of pain from the 15 minute session on the elliptical. I only did five minutes on Friday with Tommy timing with the stop watch function on his cell. It is still Friday night right now, and am no better. 

Maybe I will get a steroid shot in my spine. 

I must get up early on Saturday, so tonight, unlike other nights will be an early turn in. 

Saturday

I saw an ad for StarKist tuna for $0.79. A store in Cullman had the same sale, so I bought the tuna there.

8 small Starkist tuna@$0.79

1 12-ounce can Hormel Roast Beef and Gravy

1 Pumpkin Spice Marshmallows @ $0.20 (not bad tasting)

Solo cups

Publix

2 12-oz cans Hormel Oven Roasted Chicken Breast 2/$2.79

Diet Pepsi B2G1

Summer Sausage reduced 1/2 to $3 for Tommy

We went to PO, mailed things, went to my house, went to two groceries stores, decided to come home. So, we were home before 1 pm. Now, it is nap time. Some of the food is stockup--cans, butter.

Dinner Sat--Sweet potatoes, cabbage, chopped bbq chicken. All are leftovers, meat is from freezer. It makes me happy not to waste food or to have to cook!

I will do another 5 minutes on the elliptical on Saturday!

Have you ever had Special K with Raspberries? I had a bowl Friday. It is okay, nothing special, not as good as Special K Red Berries Strawberry. The Special K Banas still is my least favorite. 

Have you gotten your covid 19 vaccine or do you have your name on a list? Or, do you have a definite appointment?


10 comments:

  1. I'm thinking that elliptical is doing more harm than good. Are you sitting on a chair at the proper angle? If you're in that much pain, I think you should stop. There are lots of youtube videos for things you can do to get your heart rate up while sitting in a chair, even.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bobbie,
      I certainly hope not! I will look and see what you are talking about.

      Delete
  2. Definitely start of slow with the elliptical or any other exercise, until your body gets used to it. You'll be sore for a few days if you haven't exercised in a long time.

    I've had Special K with berries and didn't care for it either. It's not bad, but it's nothing to write home about. I'll only pick it up if it's free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms Goose,
      I definitely did not start slow, but backed off that time. I would not take banana if it were free.

      Delete
  3. Yeh I'm wondering why you are in so much pain after 15 minutes on the elliptical. I think Bobbie has it right. Somehow you were not positioned well and this can cause injury. I hope you get it sorted. There are seated exercises on YT but when I recommended various things it was to specifically help your legs and feet as they swell so much. Go easy on your exercise. 5 minutes is enough. After a week you might move on to 7 minutes or 10. You will know. After about 2 weeks hopefully you will not feel so challenged as you are building up your strength and endurance. I like the cereals with dried fruit. The one I eat is called Oatmeal Crisp with triple berries. I didn't get my Covid shot yet. Our government announced the vaccine rollout yesterday. I probably won't be getting one until around the middle of summer. They are rolling out by age and people with certain health conditions go first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to get an appointment with my orthopedic doctor. Oh, 5 minutes is more than enough! Oatmeal Crisp sounds delicious. I may get a vaccine in 2 weeks or 2 months, not sure.

      Delete
  4. Good luck with the vaccine. I am only 56 so with no health issues. I have a long wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bathwater,
      Hopefully, we will all get it sooner than the predictions right now. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. I think it a good idea to tell Tommy what you two are doing rather than asking.
    This works well with my co-habitant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ursspo,
      It depends on his mood as he changes rules to frustrate me. Telling seems to work mostly.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...