Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Stuff Done and Plans, Melamine

 I am considering what kind of dishes to buy if we throw out all his chipped and cracked dishes. I wanted some Corelle like I had, but the pattern is not available. Then, I saw some beautiful dishes--melamine. I kept reading. They are lightweight, so that would help me. Then, I read that they cannot be used in the microwave. That is a stopper right there. Tommy always has something he wants to dry out in the microwave. He thinks food must be piping hot. So, that is that. 

When I married, I bought melamine from TG&Y where I worked. It was cheap and great since we did not have much money. Eventually, I bought white Corelle, then another pretty blue and white set. Now, I really want melamine again. I never thought I would say that! Did you ever have melamine? Have you seen the new pretty patterns? 

I did have white with silver border for good dishes. In the early 90s, I discovered Wedgwood Strawberry and Vine. I loved it but it went to the dump. One year, friends gave me the pieces of Wedgwood individually because they knew I wanted it. Otherwise, I could never have afforded Wedgwood. 

Just now, I ordered the cheap knock off of Cubii. I get no exercise and cannot stand long enough to exercise long.  Hopefully, the Cubii will help with the swelling in my legs and body. I am spending my chair money. 

Wednesday, we went to Cullman. I had bank business as did Tommy. My PO Box was stuffed with mail, some important. And, we picked up the church lunch and ate in the backyard of the friends we meet at the lake. Right now, the lake park is closed until March. Lunch was ham, greens, peas and snaps, cornbread, and cookies. We had two for dinner, also. 

While I was at the PO, I rifled through catalogues and brochures in recycling and brought some of it home to read. It will go back in recycling when I am done. One magazine was a Cosmopolitan, a mag I have not touched in years, much less read. 

Wednesday, I went all day on 0 hours sleep. I napped from 3 pm to 8 pm and will have no trouble sleeping on Wednesday night.

My new freezer was so stuffed, I could find nothing. Lately, it has been used to the point I can find things. I found a bag of meatballs and another with a chicken thigh. That makes two meals. I can have an egg while Tommy eats the thigh. There are always frozen vegetables, so the protein portion is what I need to store more. 

Tommy informed me he needed milk once he emptied the carton! I have four quart cartons of UHT milk that will be used first. It is near expiration, so we are using it and I will buy two more quarts for storing. 

Today, the plan was to go to the Pig and use the $5 off $25, get 5% discount for being a senior, and use coupons that double. Since I was exhausted, that goes on next Wednesday's agenda. Plans are not written in stone, thankfully. This will give me more time to collect coupons. 

Do you have melamine, have you ever had melamine? What is your take on melamine? Have you seen the gorgeous patterns in melamine now?

22 comments:

  1. I've had a few melamine dishes. They held up well and I did use them in the microwave. Sometimes I see pretty dishes at Dollar Tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. angie,
      All the directions on melamine say not to use in the microwave. In 1966 when I bought and used melamine, there were no microwaves.

      Delete
  2. I went to the dollar store and bought bins for my freezer. One for chicken, pork,beef, ground beef, frozen fruit, frozen veg and butter. I just pull out the bins to get to what I want. Much easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      I just bought bins that I have not gotten in place. Shingles is rough and debilitating. Plus, I need Tommy to help me. Good job on finding what you want in the bins.

      Delete
  3. I have melamine dishes and plain white Corelle dishes- not a full set of either. We use the melamine for everyday as they are light and won’t break. The Corelle are mostly for when we microwave something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhonda,
      So, you don't microwave in melamine? Corelle is great in the microwave.

      Delete
  4. I do remember having melamine dishes when I first got married - I think they were a wedding gift. I have had the Old Town Blue Corelle dishes for over 42 years. I have added and added to the collection to the point I could probably feed 24 people at one time on them. Have just about every piece ever made. I love that they are light weight and work in the microwave. Only downside is that if you break one it doesn't just break into 2 pieces - it will shatter into a million little shards! I longingly look at Pfaltzgraff Winterberry dishes every year as I think they are so beautiful. However, they are also very heavy and would take up a lot of space. I will just be content with what I have as it does the job. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ladybug,
      Old Town Blue Corelle is a pretty pattern. I don't think I have ever seen it before I looked it up. The newer stuff does not shatter like that, thankfully. I love the Pfaltzgraff Winterberry. I like it because the pattern is not covered up by food...lol. They are heavy.

      Delete
  5. We have more than a full set of Corelle "Old Town Blue" dishes. They are what we use daily and I love them.

    I liked your comment about Tommy wanting things hot. My husband wants his hot things as hot as lava and his cold things almost frozen. Nothing lukewarm, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. alice,
      He did just throw a fit. Now, he either eats what I give him or goes and microwaves it, even slaw. He does not want slaw hot, but if it is on the plate, it gets microwaved. Now, I wish that I had Corelle Old Town Blue!

      Delete
  6. This is my dishes story from the 1950s when I was a child. My mother had had Blue Willow dishes, for apparently many years. She seldom got anything new and she was tired of the dishes. She purchased a set of melamine (I think they were melamine) in four different pastel colors. They were also square shaped.

    I guess they were very fashionable for the 50s, but when I look back now I think they were ugly. :D

    One thing I remember is that my dad refused to eat off of them so we had to keep one Blue Willow plate for him. He was quite a jerk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      We had Blue Willow dishes, too. I am glad she got something she chose and liked. We had pastel items in four colors. It must have been a thing in 50s. And, yes, your father was a jerk. Thanks.

      Delete
  7. I did a search in Amazon for microwave safe melamine dishes and found several really sets in pretty colors. Very inexpensive too. Think I am going to order some! 😁

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do have a 12 place set of melamine, but we only use it outdoors. We have a strict no glass policy for the backyard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      No glass is the best policy for outdoors! I did carry Corelle out for picnics so I would not have to buy paper every month. I banned water glasses people tried to bring to the yard. Thanks.

      Delete
  9. I couldn't post the screenshots of the ones I found on Amazon that said microwave safe. But the prices were from $29 to $49 a set

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...