Saturday, January 30, 2021

The Grocery Ads

When I have grocery ads, Tommy takes them before I get to them or after I have seen them and studies the sales. He informs me of things on sale that I buy. He never did this until the last couple of months. I don't think it is Covid boredom. He knows and understands what I will buy (items, or bogo, or any other indicator the price is lower) and reads them out to me. 

I ask him to put it on a list where I can examine it more closely and check what we have on hand. Sometimes, on his own he checks the shelves and tells me what is there. 

He also understands we eat the leftovers. There was not really enough slaw leftover for one person, much less two people. He offered that he would have the salad greens and I could eat the slaw. I had given half a can of baked beans last night, and he ate the rest of that today, too, with one of the healthy hot dogs and a bun. Rarely does he say he is not in the mood for something. If it is cooked and he is not in the mood for it, sometimes I suggest we go get something! Mostly, he says for me to fix whatever is easiest. He understands there will be meat and two or three vegetables. Fruit, too. 

It works when we work together! That is how we spent $200 for groceries in January. Speaking of groceries in January, I went over exactly $6.50 this month, but it will be from February groceries. I had $15 cash from the garden research, so I used that without worrying about where it was coming from. I do/did have more money and was not down to my last $15. So, I still have $200 grocery money for February. 

My a2milk is on sale 3 half gallons for $10. That 3 half gallons would be $13.47. The sale ends next Tuesday, so when my ss check is deposited on Feb 1st I will buy 6 half gallons for $20 at a savings of $6.94. This will last me for two weeks or more and save a good chunk of money. Well, I think $6.94 is a substantial savings. 

Saturday, the one-half gallon of a2milk I bought was necessary. I can wait until Monday for the other six half gallons. We were out of tomatoes, but we did without and can get more Monday for the Italian Salad Blend. Of course, I did buy a tiny bag of Lindt chocolate truffles with only two truffles. I love those. 

Back to the original premise. He makes it easy for me to shop and cook. Well, there are nights I would not cook if he were not eating, too. I can snack around on a piece of cold chicken and spend two hours getting in a full meal. 

Just now, I asked Tommy if he had ever looked at the grocery ads before I lived here. He said, "No."

Do you have "help" shopping as in looking over ads? Do you ever eat the Lindt Lindor truffles?  

22 comments:

  1. I have only had Lindt Lindor truffles one time years ago and hadn't thought about them since then. I could sure eat a couple of them right now. You've set off my appetite alarm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. susie,
    They come in a tiny bag that holds two truffles in Publix for sixty cents. At 150 calories, they are great. I don't break the bank for expensive candy or eat too many calories. It seems like my appetite alarm is always going off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Publix has a ecoupon for 1.50 off that milk and Ibotta has a coupon for 1.00 up to three. Saw it on southern savers. ( so one would cost .83)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think he is becoming domesticated which is good for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hubby has always checked the ads but he did a lot of the grocery shopping with his 1st wife so she had him trained LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love how Tommy is coming around to maintaining a home. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks? :D

    Husband has gotten better since retirement, too. Sometimes he does something so brilliant that I have to respond with, "You're going to make someone a wonderful wife some day."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I have told him I had him trained and his first wife was going to be happy. He is 67 and clueless most of the time. But, I am too old and tired to retrain a recalcitrant man...lol.

      Delete
  7. My sister gave me two bags back in November of Lindt.There's still a good 6 or so left. I save for a real sugar craving.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love those truffles. I live alone, so no, except I buy things to take to my two sons who live an hour to hour and a half away, and take food I find on sale to them. I have them text me a list. They are easy to please. It is usually milk, dog or cat food, litter, bread, cheese, sandwich meat, paper towels, etc. I took my youngest kid leftovers I had frozen such as hamburger soup, coconut chicken mandarin orange noodles, bbq meatballs, sausage, red beans and rice. I am really bad about freezing meals and then not wanting to eat the, so I take them the next week to my son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy,
      A list certainly helps you to shop and get what they need/want. If I made it and ate it, I have no problem wanting the frozen portion soon. But, the kids get home-cooked food, so that is good for both of you. I can only buy two truffles at a time I love them so.

      Delete
  9. in our local Kroger, Lindt truffles of several types come 13 to a bag and normally cost $5.69 but sometimes they are on sale at $4.69 — I LOVE THEM BUT RESIST. Every once in a while they are 2 bags for $8.00 — that is, $4.00 for one bag. I only get a bag of 13 truffles when I have a $1.00 coupon for them, so $3.00 for 13 Lindt truffles! Do the math, it’s even a little better than your 2 for 60 cents which comes to 12 for $3.60 — but the hardest part is trying to eat only one every other day! Could you do it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rhymes,
      The larger bags are there and often on sale. There is a reason I only buy a bag with two truffles.

      Delete
  10. I love truffles of any kind. The while lindor are the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      I love the white ones, too! Mine had strawberry filling. So, smooth.

      Delete
  11. I'm a sucker for Lindt chocolate truffles. It's my favorite! I like to now buy me those long single Lindt chocolate bars for $1 and just eat a piece or 2 when I crave chocolate.

    That's great that Tommy helps you with ads and checking inventory. He's come a long way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms. Goose,
      I like those bars, too. But, I don't save them for a craving...lol. I am thrilled he is being so helpful without any encouragement or pushing.

      Delete
  12. I love Lindor truffles! So Yummy. My husband cooks more lately but only stuff he eats which is pretty strict Keto and I can't eat that way all the time so I make stuff I like and sometimes it crosses over and we make stuff we both like. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal,
      I like the Lindor bar, too. We had one of those today and shared. I should eat more keto! I am glad he helps cook.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...