Saturday, February 20, 2021

Bananas, Pillows, and Roaches

 Friday, I bought bananas, five green ones and one slightly riper but still greenish. It was gross when I ate it this morning. Bad signs are green tint, green smell that is stronger when the banana is peeled, green taste, and I can hear the peel coming off. 

My goal in a few minutes is to find an apple and a paper bag and put the banana and apple in the bag to ripen the banana where I can eat one. I refuse to try to eat a green banana. 

Today, I was going to go to a church nearby to see if they were having a yard sale. They never advertise, just start slowly putting items out for sale on lots of tables. This works for me. But, since it is only 45F, I doubt they are having a sale today. 

A few minutes ago, I heard a soft "plop" outside the door. I knew it was my pillow. It was and it was in a heavy plastic bag with a zipper and handle. Of course, there was a white packaging over the handy bag. This is my new, favorite pillow on sale for 50% off, so I bought two. It seems my advanced age requires more pillows!  I bought one when I came here with no pillow. 

Plus, I bought a cheap pillow for the living room for my head. It has just about disappeared because it never fluffs up again. Right now, it is about three inches thick if I hand fluff it. Now, I need pillowcases. I have a couple of extra pillowcases so this won't be a problem. 

I ordered two pillows on the same order on the same day and only one was delivered. The other is still listed, so I know it is on the way. How is this efficient? 

Tommy suggested we throw out his toaster when I asked him where to put it. I had told him that if one roach had been on the counter, they had gotten into the toaster. He never wanted toast again. That was easy to get rid of it! Right now, I am going to clean some of the junk off his small table in the kitchen so things are easier for both of us. 

He has finally agreed I can spray for roaches. I did furtively spray when I first came here and he never knew. Now is the time to do the job right. I hate roaches. I have called him to kill them lately, so he knows how many I have seen all along. I have washed everything before I used it! He has just used dishes/utensils without a care. I know! It's disgusting!

When I came here, they ran freely all over the place. I had driven them back, but now is time to eliminate them. 

It appears the temperatures are going up slowly to almost 70 by Wednesday. Hopefully, the people in Texas will start to recover.

This is not the way I have lived or ever aspire to live. Have you ever had an infestation of roaches? 

18 comments:

  1. I didn't realize you could ripen a banana with an apple and a paper bag. That is good to know and a trick I will keep in mind because I can use it from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Belinda,
    It works. A ripe, red apple ripens the banana. I don't know if a green apple works or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had roaches really bad in the apt building I lived in the early 80’s in Jackson, Mississippi. We have roaches, occasionally, at work in the southern part of the state. I think we just spray and pray it kills them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy,
      Spraying does the job. Living with even one means there will be more the next week. Spraying is the way to go.

      Delete
  4. My husband eats bananas every day too so when I buy groceries I always try to get the correct degrees of ripeness to last the week. I am not sure why he likes them every day. He just eats them and I am wondering if there is something especially healthy about them or do you just like the taste? I don't know of anyone else who eats them with such regularity. I will have to remember the apple trick now too

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ann,
    I just love the taste. I bet he does, too. As it turns out, they have many health benefits. Lowering blood pressure is one heart health. I miss having certain foods everyday and banana and milk are two of those things I would miss.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eating bananas can help leg cramps because they are rich in potassium.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rhymes,
      I forgot that benefit. Well, I don't have leg cramps.

      Delete
  7. When my husband and I first married, we lived in an apartment that had roaches. I had never seen a roach before. Well I saw plenty of them there, and I was scared sh**less of them. There were big giant ones, tiny little ones, and one night I even saw an albino white one with red eyes. We sprayed with Raid but it did nothing. The apartment owner sprayed occasionally, but that didn't help much.

    Finally we could afford to buy a house. When we bought our house, we had a professional pest control company spray our house before we moved in and then a couple of times a year for several years until there were no roaches. After several years , it was too hard to pull everything out of closets and prepare the whole house to be sprayed by the professional, we started doing it ourselves with a very good spray from the hardware store. That did well for roaches, but then many years later we started having summer invasions of ants. I have found that diotomaceous earth works well for the ants and the roaches and is safe for our dog. I hope you will be able to find a new toaster after you get rid of all of the roaches. We find it works well to spray all of the places where the water pipes come up from the basement. I put diotomaceous earth under the refrigerator, behind the counters, between the stove and wall and stove and counter. I hide it all over where I think ants might crawl or roaches too. It works, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. susie,
      I diatomaceous and have not used it here. I started getting ants and discovered that any vine or branch became an ant superhighway. Once I cleared a vine from against my house, all ant activity stopped!

      He has both type roaches--German and the huge outdoor type. But, I am curing that.

      Delete
  8. I don't like pesticides, but in both my southwest and Panhandle home, we had to have a professional service come and spray. I didn't believe it, until the first home we got when we moved (a rental) was laden with roaches. The next place we got was our first house, and I continued the service that the previous owner had. It was great--if I saw ANYTHING on the property, they would come out, even fire ant hills. It got to the point that he would only come and spray the outside of the house. I don't like the idea of pesticides, but there's a limit! In Florida, we even had scorpions. BLECH. Bugs, with the exception of house flies aren't really a problem here in the PNW, at least, not where I am. We don't even have mosquitoes to speak of. We have a lot of swallows who like to build their nests in the eaves. I tend to let them, (but not right on the porch) because they eat their weight in bugs every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg B.,
      The service sounds great, especially the fireant part! I don't think I could handle scorpions. I wish we had more swallows where i live to eat mosquitoes.

      Delete
  9. I love how you slowly win battles with Tommy. The main thing is for HIM to suffer consequences. He had to give up toast because of the roaches and now he's willing to spray.

    It's like training a child, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      As long as I tried to kill roaches, he did not get involved. Now, everytime I shriek, he comes running, knowing it is a roach. I only ate one piece of toast ever here. He quit eating it and then gave up the toaster. I am going to get a new toaster and keep it in a plastic box with a good seal and put it back as soon as I have toast. He screamed about how toxic spray was last year. Now, I can spray. Believe me, he is not that afraid of pesticides. I am the one who is cautious. He is cheap.

      Delete
  10. No I have never had roaches, thank goodness.
    I have scorpions though. I prefer scorpions to roaches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      I had them come in at the last house of mine, but I immediately took care of them. I don't want roaches or scorpions!

      Delete
  11. Yes I had a miserable roach infestation in the first home my previous husband and I owned. They were the nasty little German brown type. I fought them with those room bombs. They helped but did not rid our home of the pests. I gave up and brought in an exterminator. We did have to remove our food and other items from all the shelves. We were able to place these items under the table and cover it with a drape...I think we used sheets but we may have used plastic sheeting. It was a very long time ago (45+ years)and I just don't remember. The exterminator did the trick. The infestation was in the wall where the water pipes ran. In the other side of that wall was the bathroom but they didn't go there. In fact they were exclusively in the kitchen. When we went in after the treatment I was able to sweep up a pile of dead nasty bugs and replace our kitchen items. I never saw another roach! It was well worth the $ and inconvenience of emptying the cupboards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet,
      Yikes! I could not get things off the shelves. I would have to pay someone to come in and do that. Well, give me two weeks and maybe I could...lol. If my efforts do not work, Tommy will pay the exterminator!

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...