Friday, February 19, 2021

Friday Stuff: dinner, eyeglasses, groceries

Dinner Friday night was meatballs that were thawed put into a casserole with spaghetti sauce over the meatballs and mozzarella cheese on top. Everything was cooked previously, so this just needed heating to bubbly goodness. We had a Romaine and tomato salad. Tommy then had a meatball sandwich on a croissant.  

There is about half of the casserole left. I suppose we will have that Saturday night along with another salad. The meatballs were cooked before being frozen, so heating is all we need. Good! 

Maybe I will prepare three more of these and put them in the freezer. There will be nights I appreciate thawing and heating. Even slicing the mozzarella was a chore today. You know there are days like that. And, this was so good, I cannot wait for another.  

At The Pig I bought bananas. I still have not had one today. I will. I also bought bologna, three cans of Starkist tuna, one pineapple Mexican-made carbonated drink, and maybe something else. I cannot locate the receipt. That makes about $11 I have spent this week. I know I did not need the pineapple drink. The tuna and bologna are for stockup. 

I tried to make an appointment for an eye exam, sorely overdue. This was Tuesday. But, NO. I must wait for the "scheduler" to call me. That was annoying. So, she called yesterday and cheerfully told me that insurance, Medicare, will not pay again until 2022 since I just had new glasses in 2019. Or, something like that. 

After I thanked her, she seemed so happy to give me bad news and do her job. While I was waiting outside Tommy's doctor office this morning, I called back. I explained it all to her and how I had not had new frames since 1998, and that I had NEVER had an eye exam at this business. She checked and said I had been there in 2018 and 2019 but both of those were a medical problem. Finally, she got it right. 

So, after three calls on three days and 20 minutes today, I am having an eye exam. Scheduling should not be so complicated. Right?

One eye doctor has already defrauded the government by submitting a bill to Medicare for glasses in 2014 that I never got. I know this call was only 30 minutes out of my life, but these encounters are stressful. 

What is the longest you have used glasses frames? This makes 23 years for me. 

6 comments:

  1. I only like a certain type of frame. The last time I had to get new frames, I have disliked them since I first put them on with the lens in them. The side pieces are wider than I like, and feel like they block my side vision. I like very plain, thin, metal frames, which are not what is in style now. The last frames I liked broke at the screw hinge after I had worn them for about 10 years. I found a glasses repair place and they were able to repair that part, but he said it would probably not last long. I only wear them occasionally, but I miss them,they were so lightweight and comfortable with the thin metal frame and side pieces.

    I don't know what kind of frames I will end up with after my eye surgery. One lens will be very thick and the other fairly thin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how long I've used frames, but not that long. My health insurance doesn't cover very much for eye stuff so they are terribly expensive, but I bite the bullet every few years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole,
      I certainly cannot afford frames, but I will not pay for ones I don't like, so I just keep using the ones I like. Medicaid has some free frames I can get, but they are all so ugly, don't fit my face and hurt my nose.

      Delete
  3. susie,
    Your story is identical to mine...lol. I hate all the glass frames for sale. So, I use the ones I love. A jeweler said he could repair them if they broke completely. After the place that told me my frames were toast, he fixed them for me, warning me they might break when he tried to fix the hinge by bending them. I asked if I could pay him to repair them after he broke them...lol. He assured me her could.

    I suppose I will check and see if there are frames I like this time. If not, I will continue with these frames. Oh, I also refuse to wear a frame that is squarish. I like round/oval ones.

    If you find thin, metal frames, let me know so I can get them, too. I will let you know if I find any.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot remember when I last had my lenses updated - and they need such.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...