Saturday, February 13, 2021

My Book Recommendation

 This book answered questions I have had since I was a small child. Why did Aggie not eat at our table? Why did she eat in the dining room while we ate at the kitchen table? 

Coming of Age in Mississippi is a powerful commentary on race, sexism and other issues that faced Anne Moody. It is the autobiography of Anne Moody. The link is a whole page of sites. Choose what you like. 

This was not an assigned book at the university, nor was it recommended by anyone. It just appealed to me because I was born in Mississippi. 

Is this something you might like since it explains the sociological influences that informed how blacks should act that she lived with? Can you put this on your reading list?  Have you read this book?

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for the recommendation. I found an excerpt here

    https://nationalhumanitiescenter.org/pds/maai3/protest/text7/moodycomingofage.pdf

    and it was a fascinating read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never been to the state; it's one of the few left I haven't visited.
    The books sounds sad, and confirms some fears/stereotypes about the South - but, I haven't read it so I do not know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      Unfortunately, some of the stereotypes are true. Even more unfortunate is the fact that Northern states are just as racist as the South, just in different ways and they are more subtle.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...