Sunday, February 14, 2021

Happy Valentine's Day


 Saturday night, I needed bananas, carrots. I asked Tommy if he wanted to buy me flowers. He said how about candy? So, I went in and decided to get flowers and candy for me. 

I chose a bag of dark chocolate Lindor truffles. I always get the milk chocolate because he does not care for dark. Then, I looked over the flowers on display. I chose a round, clear 12" tall vase that had seven tulips growing in water. I could have gotten ones with blooms, but this one spoke to me. I can watch the blossoms unfold. I can also use this later for tulip or paper white or other bulbs. 

In the bottom of the vase is a plate type thing that has spikes to hold it off the bottom of the vase and spikes to hold the bulbs. Supposedly, this produces a superior position for growing tulips. 

Approximately $16 was spent on his card. A big arrangement of roses or something red in a vase was $24. I know the money does not count and the thought does. But, he would never think of these tulips or even mean it. So, I got my candy and flowers, maybe not what others would call ideal. But, I am very happy.  

The front of the store had been dedicated to all things Valentine. There was a heart-shaped clamshell with a very thick steak cut almost through and opened into the heart clamshell. Of course, it had been trimmed a bit to be a heart shape. The end of the bakery nearest the front display had all sorts of heart and red treats and pink confections. It was all quite festive. 

The crowd in the store was like a Christmas crowd! I have heard sales on things Valentine are up, supposedly because there is not much going out or traveling. 

Dinner today will not be special, just food. 

How was your Valentine's Day? 

12 comments:

  1. I love tulips. My grandma had them planted, lining the driveway in North Alabama. I also love chocolate. I had frozen a couple of red velvet cupcakes, and I will eat those, and probably my standard greens, maybe cornbread, and chicken. I am worried about the ice storm in North Alabama because my oldest son gets off work tonight at 11 in Decatur, and I hope he can get home safely. Also, my middle son has a dental appt tomorrow innTuscaloosa/Northport and he really needs his teeth filled, so I hope it happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy,
      I am growing more fond of them all the time. I love greens, too, but I am not supposed to eat much fiber at all. Sooo, it makes me unhappy. Eat some for me. I hope the weather is okay for your sons. It is scary. We were going to Cullman on Tuesday, but now I do not want to go as ice lingers even on the highway. Maybe tonight the ice won't be as bad as the prediction. Fingers crossed. My Valentine breakfast at noon is going to be oatmeal! I am cold.

      Delete
  2. Happy Valentine's Dat!

    We are just spending the day at home working on things. No big plans for us. Trying to stay warm as usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      Happy Valentine's Day!
      Same here. It is sooo cold.

      Delete
  3. Happy Valentines Day Linda! I love your gift, because it's something you wanted and will enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms. Goose,
      Happy Valentine's Day!
      Picking it out was fun. So is watching for the first sign of a bloom.

      Delete
  4. On impulse I bought some pink roses, pausing to give one to our favorite cashier. Otherwise I spent the day cleaning the rooms and yard some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      How sweet of you to give one to a cashier. It is a rather mundane day around here.

      Delete
  5. No Valentines celebrations for me, my brother dropped in to get away from his house, I shared a fish and chip meal with my son and watched a strange movie in three sittings because I kept getting interrupted.
    So, a pretty regular Sunady!

    ReplyDelete
  6. kylie,
    Nothing happening here, either! We are having meatballs, peas and potatoes on V Day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We don't exchange gifts for holidays or birthdays but I buy what ever I want, whenever I want. Sometimes I ask John "would you like to see what you bought me ?" LOL On Valentines evening I served Steak & Baked Potatoes and Mushrooms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet,
      After it worked I did it, I decided I am going to do the same thing from now on. That sounds like a great meal!

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...