Sunday, February 14, 2021

Into the Freezer! Grocery Shopping, THE MOST AMAZING SIGHT

 Once again, I erased a whole post! I finally figured out that when I managed to turn anything blue and then try to type, the whole shebang disappears. I am a fast typist if not entirely accurate. So, the inaccuracy causes me to hit a key (and I don't know which) that causes me to erase it all! 

Saturday, I froze meat for 25 meals in pint bags. Each bag held a meal for two, so 46 portions. 

2 packages one chicken breast.

23 packages of 16 meatballs in each pint.

I had 3 4-lb. bags of Armour Meat Balls that were thawed. So, I heated/cooked them and re-bagged them in meal-size portions. So, 12 lbs of meatballs are resting for me to thaw at mealtime. I am so happy. 

Earlier in the day, I went to Publix for bananas and carrots. Just before I got out of the car, I asked Tommy if he wanted to buy flowers for me. He said, "How about candy?"  

I purchased both. I found a bag of Lindt truffles, dark chocolate. As I looked over the flowers, I found a 11" vase with tulip bulbs not yet blooming. Green leaves are about 6" above the top of the vase. The idea is to watch them blossom. That appealed to me. So, I spent $16 on his card and came home deliriously happy. 

The huge vases of roses were $25. But, those did not suit me. 

It was like Christmas crowds up front. The candy, and flowers were on extra shelves and the bakery section near the candy and flowers was loaded with all sorts of hearts, red, and pink confections. It was all so tempting. 

THE MOST AMAZING SIGHT--In a cold case were clamshells in the shape of a heart with a thick steak cut almost in half and opened to fit in the heart clamshell. It was very impressive. Refrigerated sides were present with this meat presentation. I forgot what kind of steak it was. But, there was something for everyone.

So, I bought the bananas, carrots, Lindt truffles, tulips, and a reduced can of apricot filling. The apricot filling goes into stockup. 

So far, I have spent $105 this month. 

Have you put meat into the freezer? 

22 comments:

  1. Only those chicken legs I got for .49 a pound.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the blue indicates a pending delete” area, and if you tap on the blue area or continue to type without moving your cursor elsewhere, the area in blue will be deleted. But if you tap elsewhere on the screen, in the white area, the ‘pending delete’ is canceled and the bliued area returns back to white. I learned all this the hard way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured that out but I type so fast I cannot catch it in time.

      Delete
  3. I put 4 rib eye steaks and a filet in the freezer that Bill brought home from work. He works at a family owned small meat processing plant and they had an old couple in who wanted to get their cow processed, but all they wanted was the ground beef. They told the owners to sell the other parts in their retail store. Well due to laws privately raised/butchered meat can't be sold as retail so the couple told the owners to split the steaks among the employees. He also brought home 5 pounds of hamburger on a mother day that a customer didn't want. I will take free beef anytime. Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel,
      When it is free, the price is right. Why don't they just have it all ground? Just because it is a steak cut does not mean it cannot be ground. You certainly scored!

      Delete
  4. Love your Valentine's Day treats. M got me flowers & chocolates. I helped my son pick out the same (plus a stuffed animal) for his girlfriend, so it all went around. :-)

    We're working on cleaning out our freezer, which is very full right now. We're slowly making our way through. Yesterday, I finished off a bag of cranberries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hawaii,
      Tommy would buy a heart and big bouquet, not what would please me...lol. That was so nice of M. And, it is sweet that your son wanted something for his girlfriend. I only put cheap stuff in the freezer right now.

      Delete
  5. We had gone through almost a year of pandemic saying we could squeak by without buying a freezer, but finally I got really sick of having to shop for meat several times a month. And my husband eats lots of bread, only from Costco, which is 15 miles away. Last month we broke down and bought a 5 cubic foot freezer and I wonder why we didn't do it long ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      Good for you! Tommy's refrigerator freezer was way too small, too. Why do we wait so long?

      Delete
  6. Nice job on all the freezer meals ready!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      Thanks. Meal preparation will be so much easier on me.

      Delete
  7. Until I find and exceptional buy, no proteins of any sort will go into the freezer. Right now I am using stuff instead of adding to my over filled freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have a deep freeze in the lower garage and an extra refrigerator/freezer in the garage that is attached to the house. We have meat in both of them in addition to the freezer that is in the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      Good for you having so much storage space for meats and other frozen items. I hope never to be without a freezer again.

      Delete
  9. We raise our own beef, I buy organic chickens 3x a year (6-12 per time) and we get 1/2 of a hog once a year, so my freezers are filled to the brim. Plus I freeze fruits and vegetables that we raise or get on sale. We could survive quite a while on our pantry and freezers. We also supply our children with food as needed. They have large families and every little bit helps them out. Right now we are only buying fresh produce and dairy from the stores. I anticipate we'll continue until April.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay,
      Wow! You do well. I would love to get 50 chickens a year. My dream was to raise them! It sounds like you do well and are able to help your children. I have not frozen so many fruits and mostly carrots, bell peppers, onions. Thanks for writing.

      Delete
  10. Sometimes when you have caused your text to vanish you can bring it back by pressing the control & letter Z buttons. Can't hurt to try it! Stay warm back there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Janet,
    Ctrl Z Got it. I will remember that and try it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...