Thursday, February 11, 2021

Small Economies for Tommy

Today, Tommy's supplies came. He was sort of flabbergasted by the volume of the razors. I ordered 72 for $18.75. I was confused because there were 15 packages of 6 each. But, I counted packages!  There was no way that was correct. Finally, I realized there were only 5 per pack and he got 15 packages instead of the ordered 12 packages of 6, so 75 razors. In other words, he got more packages with fewer in each packages. That would have been 26.04 cents each for 72. By getting 75 razors, he paid 25 cents each. His savings is over 75 cents. It is not much, but that money is still his. 

He will usually not buy two of anything, much less 75. He thinks the dozen containers of Gillette Shaving Cream will last him several years. I am corrupting him...in a good way. 

He only wanted to order one box of needle pens for his insulin. If they are okay, he will buy several boxes. He pays $13.88 for a box of 100. For these pen needles, he paid $6.99 for 100 ($13.98 for 200), a real saving at 50%. He will order another 4 boxes if he likes these. 

The main savings with the pen needles is he does not have to traverse the cavernous Sam's Club to purchase the pen needles he must have to administer life saving medicine. The last time we went, I convinced him to buy 5 boxes. So, he will be set for over a year with the next order. I don't suppose there are best by, or use by dates. I will see.  Mostly, he is not exposed to people. 

He is not in the mood to take the time to program his new answering machine. Plus, I would have to endure the muting of the TV. Okay, he took time and it works. I wanted to know soon. It works.

Today the forecast is 100% rain. Right now, at almost 3 pm, it is 63F and barely sprinkling. The ac has been on since last night. Okay, he said no precipitation. He said it was noisy, raining, stormy last night and early morning. 5 pm and still 63F.

Last night, the chicken did not make it into the oven. I thawed a chicken leg and thigh for Tommy. He had the biggest salad I have ever seen him make. I had scrambled eggs, milk and  a banana. Then some cheese.  Tonight, I suppose I must cook. I really want chicken. Carrots, potatoes, and onions will go in the bag with the chicken breasts. He really loves the new Italian Blend I sprinkle over chicken now. Maybe I will find some other vegetable to add to the chicken. 

After I was converted to being an Amazon fan, I finally converted him. I was a hard sell. How long did it take you to become an Amazon fan?

16 comments:

  1. Almost immediately. At Christmas it is a lifesaver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      Almost immediately for me, too. Not going into stores for so long or so often could really make it a lifesaver in these times.

      Delete
  2. I still like shopping in stores (well for most things anyway). I put on my mask and go to Sam's pharmacy. Since it is way in the back it is quite a walk. First I go to the produce and get something...usually the prepackaged kale salad...then get whatever else I want and hike to the pharmacy. I also like our huge grocery store but try for less busy times. Never Saturdays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ann,
    I do like shopping. But, I hate to have to search for a cart, finally get one, and go to the hair color to find my color is not there, then to go look for Dawn, and not find it. It may seem that riding in an electric cart would be easy, but I get tired/exhausted. Then, I go to another store, maybe on another day, and still cannot find what I want. There is no joy in shopping for Dawn or hair color. Saturday is always a bad time, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been an Amazon fan for a while but I cannot commit to buying in bulk. At least not for a year. Which is too bad because it is getting hard to find the treats my cat likes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bathwater,
      It took my not being able to get about to embrace it online. I have done it in person, though. Tommy was not hard to convince, surprisingly. Poor kitty.

      Delete
  5. I've been an Amazon fan for many years, but I still have to watch their prices. You did a great job on the razors for Tommy. Way to go. I made baked beans last night, so I'm going to have to make something to go with them tonight as we ate all the weenies out of the beanies. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      This has only been since last fall for me. I would eat the weenies and not the beans.

      Delete
  6. It took me about 37 seconds to fall in love with Amazon and I will hold them in my heart forever. With things arriving within 24 hours I am now impatient when I order things from normal stores who take 10 days to 2 weeks to deliver. I'm totally spoiled.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not an Amazon fan at all, but often that was the option for obscure books my daughter needed, or finding certain things that aren't available locally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      This order is the first of items available. This was to keep Tommy out of Sam's Club.

      Delete
  8. I can't remember not shopping from Amazon, now, LOL. It is so convenient and most times the prices are better than elsewhere. I just ordered a couple of their brand t-shirts to see how I like them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One Family,
    It does seem so natural. I discovered their clothing yesterday. But, since I cannot find clothes to fit unless I try them on, I probably won't be shopping for clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I regularly use Amazon and always feel a little bad to do so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      In ways I do feel guilty, but these are things I cannot find in the store mostly.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...