Wednesday, February 17, 2021

The Thermometer and Cravings

 While it is still below freezing, the temperature Wednesday should rise above freezing later this afternoon. I have not stuck my nose out of the house since Sunday. No thanks. Tommy lets in a lot of air and leaves the door open every time he goes to washing machine or to the mailbox. But, it is my choice for the door to be open as I wish to hear him if he falls and yells for me. This is my choice in the summer, too. 

Wednesday morning, all seven of my tulips have bloomed, but some not fully. They are red but appear to be a deep pink, almost red. I would rather have pink, anyway. I brought them home on 2/14 and they are all bloomed on 2/17. It is fun to watch them. 

Like I have said, there are no windows to place things to get sun. So, these have been sitting under/beside an incandescent bulb in a lamp. Obviously, this works for blooms. I wonder if seeds would germinate. 

I am going to try to make a better pizza crust tonight. I will read the directions on the pizza crust mix....lol. We need to use the open container of Prego Pizza Sauce. Tonight, we will have meatballs, bell pepper, and onions on top along with the sauce and cheese. I may let Tommy cut the meatballs into small pieces if I don't want to cut them. 

Even though it was bitterly cold last night, the temperature in the house was uniform and warm. Of course, the bedroom I sleep in is always colder except in the summer when it is torrid. 

I said I had used all the dishes. No, four of the glass dishes that I use in the oven were still in the dishwasher. I just could not see them in the dark! The tongs that Tommy said were not in the dishwasher were in there, hiding in the dark. When I ask Tommy to get something from dishwasher or off a shelf, he sees how difficult it is to function in the dark since he needs to get a strong flashlight and still cannot find things.

Amazon brought my pedal exerciser today. I finally got it put together as there were minimal instructions or pictures. This item weighs only 8 pounds, so it is infinitely easier to handle as opposed to the 28 pound elliptical. 

After finishing this post, I tried my new pedal exerciser. The motion of the pedal does not hurt my knee like the elliptical. Within one minute I knew two things. The pedaler works. Doing it without shoes hurts my foot.   So, I need to wear shoes when using it. The elliptical had a flat pad where the foot sat. This cost $110 less than the elliptical.                                                                                                  

Another package was reported by email to have been left in the mailbox. But, it was not there, so the two assistive devices are being sent again. I suppose someone stole it. 

I finished loading the dishwasher in record time and with an enormous number of large and heavy items. While it hurt my back to load it and took forever with my breaks, I still hurt less than I would have. I am also dry. Washing dishes with my elbows on the edge of the sink/counter left me soaked. 

Hopefully, everyone is warm and safe, forgoing using generators inside or any other heating means that can kill with carbon monoxide or flames. Three days without heat, electricity, or water in subzero weather is a terrible burden and danger. 

I am glad we are having pizza since we are watching a documentary on pizza in America. 

I am craving two things: chocolate anything and chicken. What am I going to do about it. First, I am making brownies. As for the chicken, I may thaw one of the pieces of breast. In the meantime, a 6 lb. package of chicken thighs is thawing so I can cook that for Tommy while I eat the breast. 

What are you craving and what are you going to do about it?

14 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're safe and warm. I couldn't imagine three days without heat or electricity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Treaders,
    Thank you. I hope the same for you. I went without heat for 8 hours when it was 9F and I was suffering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's my recipe for pizza dough. Thaw out 12 Rhodes frozen dinner rolls and mash them all together and shape into pizza dough. Delicious dough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      That is my kind of recipe. Thanks! Now, I have never heard of Rhodes!

      Delete
  4. Your food descriptions always sound so good and healthy too.Is your wash machine in the garage? I am wondering as Tommy always carries laundry in and out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ann,
    Thank you. I did not make brownies today. His washer and dryer are in a tiny utility room in the carport. I can barely get up the slope into the carport. He is good about doing carrying my laundry out for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just reading about Texas weather- so sorry for them! We have our hurricanes although knock on wood, I've never experienced one in the 20 plus years I've lived here. I would love some brownies but they have to have nuts! I'm debating going to Aldi this morning when they open up- I haven't left the house since Christmas eve except for my 2 Covid vaccines. I was hoping to hold out until 2 weeks after last one (which was past Monday) but alas, I have no milk for my coffee. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan,
      The stories are horrifying. I like my brownies without nuts, but would eat them with nuts. Have you ever used shelf-stable milk? It is only $1 for a quart at Dollar Tree. It is too late for that now, though. Be safe.

      Delete
  7. Can you do something about light in the kitchen? A wonderfully appointed kitchen is not very usable without light. If Tommy won't pay for it, can you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      No, I cannot. The kitchen and dining room are awful for working at all. He knows how bad it is, too. That is why I have him search, so he sees it is impossible to find things. Electricians are expensive.

      Delete
    2. I guess Tommy won't pay because it doesn't bother him because he isn't cooking. Maybe you could tell him you simply can't cook any more until you get some light. And then don't. He will probably get hungry enough soon to spring for an electrician.

      Delete
    3. Anne,
      I think he is hoping I will give up and be able to miraculously see. I could go on strike...lol.

      Delete
  8. In Nevada the weather is upper 40's to low 50's during the day. I will take it compared to some of the ice and snow other parts of the country are getting. Our turn will probably come next.

    I am craving salty foods then I switch to sweet like chocolate or other goodies. Too much chocolate gives me migraines so you'd think I would learn. I usually can get away with some good dark chocolate and do love the Lindor chocolate. Waiting to see if my son is coming over to help me cook up some good food. He is a chef and we are working on using stuff from my freezer and pantry. It is fun to learn new ideas from him. Take care and enjoy your brownies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal,
      That seems to be tolerable temps. At least, you are not dealing with Texas weather.

      Tommy wants salty; I go with chocolate. I did not bake the brownies. Oh, Lindor cannot be beat.

      That is nice to have a son who is a chef. Enjoy the goodies, savory or sweet, that he cooks up.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...