Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Chocolate can be good for you

 Don't give up the chocolate. CHOCOLATE IS GOOD FOR YOU!  So, read the link for 15 ways chocolate is good for you. Go ahead and eat that Easter candy. Of course, dark chocolate is the most beneficial.  And, don't eat too much!

After you have read the article, can you see any ways chocolate consumption has been beneficial to you?  I can fr me. 

Sunday night, I was so exhausted that after I went to the bathroom about 10 pm, I just got into bed and went to sleep. I always comment to Tommy that I am going to bed, but not Sunday night. 

Monday, we had a long day. Well, five hours is too long for me...lol.  I went into multiple stores to try to find shoes for Tommy. All the ones I find online and in the store that have velcro straps are wide. There is no way he can wear a wide shoe! He does not want a sport shoe, just a black pair. He cannot tie his shoes, and he uses his can to loose the velcro and then push it down after he gets his shoes on his feet.

I did buy another pair of SAS sandals for me, identical to the ones I bought in the fall of 2019. I wore the same pair of shoes for that long. I now have a pair to alternate wearing each day. I found a pair for him that was $187, but he will never buy them even if they save money and his feet in the long run. sigh

At Publix I found the Lindt for half price and bought that, plus a pink bunny PEZ dispenser for me. 

Since I have been sleeping a bit better at night, I have not been taking several naps a day. But, Monday, I did take a short nap. I suppose I dreamed the whole time. I also suppose I heard the Rod Stewart cd end, because I called out, "Tommy, did the TV go off?" I suppose I then awoke. It was all so confusing that I just went back to sleep. 

Monday, I had to hurry and get dinner done because a Hemingway documentary was coming on. Tommy had a piece of ham and I had two boiled eggs. I made a small green bean casserole and we had leftover slaw. 

I really enjoyed the Hemingway documentary, part 1 of 3 parts. I was pleased that every sample of his writing and composing they showed onscreen, I recognized the work of his. I have read most of Hemingway's writing during and after I studied his works in a burdensome 12 week course and Kentucky Wesleyan. I did not hate Hemingway for 12 weeks, just other courses. Now, I want to reread all of Hemingway. 

Are you a fan of Hemingway? Did you purchase sale Easter candy?

25 comments:

  1. I love Hemingway and dated a young man whose Uncle was the man in For whom the Bell tolls, i am on a low carb diet so no cheap Easter candy for me. darn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      How interesting! There are carbs in chocolate? Ooops!

      Delete
    2. Low carb for me, too! That's why there's no Easter candy whether it's cheap or not.

      Delete
  2. I have never read Hemingway and this year I didn't buy any chocolate. It seems unneccessary: my children are always careful about the sugar they consume and I am overweight so I just didn't get any. One daughter was given a large amount of chocolate by her boyfriend's family but for the rest of us it was intentionally very lean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kylie,
      You are all smat! Try reading some of his short stories.

      Delete
  3. I haven't had a chance to watch Hemingway but I will soon- I just stream TV and PBS is free but if you donate you can see the entire season of a show so I'll be watching all 3 parts today or tomorrow. I've read most of his works and just requested 3 o re-read from the library. I also read one written about his relationship with his first wife. It was fiction but well written. No candy for me- I cooked a pot of navy beans yesterday and that's the food for the remainder of the week- good thing I don't mind leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan,
      I am sure you will enjoy it. Navy beans are a good thing if you are going to eat for several days. I love naby beans.

      Delete
  4. I am a fan of Hemingway. I've only read a couple of his works, though. I may read one of his as my next 'for fun' read. I'm currently enrolled in an eight week course that has four textbooks and 32 links to other supplemental readings! So no fun reading for me at the moment.

    No Easter candy or sale candy for me. We do occasionally purchase the Sam's Choice 92% dark chocolate at Walmart. It has a lower carb count than most similar options, and the price is better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      What course are you taking? In person? I eat the darker chocolate except at Easter.

      Delete
    2. I am in an online Master's program. The current course is "Tax Policy" and covers federal, state, and local taxes and how they come about.

      Delete
    3. Alice,
      I am glad someone enjoys that stuff. Actually, I might find it interesting, but taxes is math, so that part would bother me. Will you be a CPA when finished?

      Delete
    4. I already have an accounting bachelor's (as well as one in human resources). This master's program is public financial management, so more about financing governments and not for profits.

      Delete
  5. I do not like the works of Mr. Hemingway. I do not like his simple words and prose.
    I do like chocolate though especially if it isn't adulterated with add-ons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      I like the way you object with simple words and prose. Mostly, I don't like add-ins, but don't reject all.

      Delete
  6. I vividly remember reading "Three Day Blow" in my college "Literary Genres: The Short Story" class. The story moved me. Beyond that, however, I can say I spent my higher education trying to avoid reading Hemingway. I have a brother, though, who became an expert on his work. I am planning on watching the PBS documentary, and have it set to record. Our weeks were busy, so I missed recording episode 1, but I'm sure it will be rerun and recorded before I get to sit down and enjoy the program.
    Fun fact: I visited the Hemingway House in Key West, Florida.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg B,
      "Three DayBlow" was exquisite! I wanted to become an expert on Hemingway, but that was not to be. Still, I know a lot. Oh, I would love to visit the Hemingway House.

      Delete
  7. For ten+ years, my diabetes is strictly controlled by diet (and exercise). Occasionally, I will be craving something and just to shut me up, he'll give in. Two things that I gave up a decade ago that I have been begging for are ice cream and chocolate. I found that I didn't really like them. I didn't finish my cone and even though the amount of chocolate was tiny, I couldn't get the taste out of my mouth. Now you're telling me it is good for you. Go figure!
    My dentist tells me that naps are good for you as well. He takes a 45 minute nap every afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      Well, good for you for controlling diabetes. I don't like to think that giving up chocolate is the way to do it. Yay for your dentist. It seems as though I cannot make it if I don't take a nap.

      Delete
  8. I read “The Sun Also Rises” and “For Whom The Bell Tolls” and “The Old Man and The Sea” and “A Moveable Fesst” but I don’t think I ever read •A Farewell To Arms”....

    We (by which I mean I) like Harry & David chocolate truffles and also various varieties of Linder chocolate truffles and Ferret Rochet and just anout any kind of chocolate you could name. It’s a wonder I don’t weigh 400 lbs (190 if you’re wondering). Strangely, we didn’t buy any Easter candy at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rhymes,
      Those books are great. I may reread them all again. I cannot eat Ferrer Rochet because of the hazelnuts, but I love it. I think candy started me on weight gain.

      Delete
  9. Chocolate per se is not the problem for diabetics, it's the sugar combined with it. So dark chocolate is a better choice than milk chocolate.

    I had a professor who wrote his PhD thesis on Hemmingway. I found him and his classes stilted and boring, and he had poor social skills. Much like Hemmingway, I suspect, whose works I find stilted and boring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      That is why I eat some of my chocolate as dark chocolate.

      My Hemingway professor was brilliant and interesting. I don't find Hemingway boring at all. Classes were active. Nothing was stilted. Too bad you had a good experience.

      Delete
    2. Well, I can tell you that boring old professor won't keep me from watching Ken Burn's "Hemmingway" documentary. That Ken Burns is amazing! And when he decides to make a documentary, I watch it!

      Delete
    3. Sue,
      Let me know how you like it. Just post a comment here. Or, wherever. lol

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...