Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Eyes and UV Light

 I have been telling Tommy for as long as I have been here that this bare curly bulb was not good for my eyes. I already have a wrinkled macula. But, he was yelling and adamant that the bulb would not be replaced and he liked the bare bulb and no shade for his lamp beside him. 

When I told Tommy that the eye doctor said to avoid fluorescent bulbs and wear sunglasses outdoors, he did not say anything.  That was Thursday. I placed an led bulb on his table. 

Friday, when I went shopping, I bought a shade and did not take it out of the bag. I asked him when he was going to change the bulb. He said "later" and finally did. Late Friday night, I brought the shade in, put it on the lamp. He said nothing. Much later, I asked him how he like the shade. He said it looked really nice. 

When he makes such a fuss and takes a stand, he does not know how to change his mind. He just hangs in there with his mean attitude, willing to die on every hill. 

By the way, uv light even from bulbs contributes to cancer risk. 

I wait until after dinner to expose him to new ideas or items. 

So, why all the caution with ultraviolet light? It can damage retina, cause cataracts, macular degeneration, alter DNA and cause cancer. Besides protecting our skin, we need to protect our eyesight. I worry about school children studying under fluorescent lights. Some people cannot learn under school fluorescent lighting. Yes, the last bit is true. I have read the research. 

Speaking of lights, I bought another cheap floor lamp to move about the dining room so I can see food and can sort the junk in there. He did not say a word when I put it near him and asked him to put it together, but no hurry.  Well, he did say, "Okay." 

I am writing this early Saturday morning, 5:30 am. Friday night, I went to bed at 10 pm. I even willingly missed the news. Then, I was awake at 4 am. I was too hot to sleep, so I got my laptop. We have to get up at 7 am, so I do need to sleep. 

Yes, this did not get published when written.

Do you avoid fluorescent light?

14 comments:

  1. I do not avoid fluorescent light. It doesn’t alter DNA in humans. Texas State University researchers have used constant fluorescent light on fishes, which can cause a genetic change similar to human melanoma. They’re hoping their research can lead to treatment of melanoma in people. Where have you read that human exposure alters our DNA?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catrina,
      Here for one--https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/features/UVB

      Delete
    2. We used to use those curly flourescent bulbs. One evening I was sitting in the living room and I kept smelling a strange burning chemical odor. I checked al over the house and it seemed to be mostly in the living room. As I got closer to the lamp table that had the lamp with that bulb in it, I could tell where the odor was coming from. It was that curly light bulb. I will never have them in the house again.

      Delete
    3. susie,
      i don't think I have ever smelled one of those, but that would be scary, thinking that a fire could start. I think you made a good decision to not use them.

      Delete
  2. I loathe fluorescent light. I also have to wear sunglasses outdoors. I have extremely sensitive eyes, and keep the light off in my office at work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy,
      I brought in lamps for my office at a school. My goal was to get enough lamps for my classroom, but that never happened. For the longest time I always wore sunglasses outdoors. Now, I am going to start wearing sunglasses again, so I have to get prescription glasses.

      Delete
  3. Ha ha, sounds like you can read Tommy like a book (but don't let him know)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treaders,
      Yes, I can...lol. Oh, no, he thinks it is all his idea.

      Delete
  4. I love your description of Tommy as "dying on every hill." And also that you only approach him with changes when his stomach is full. Brilliant woman. He is soooooo lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I take that approach with him now as he forgets and there is no use arguing with him because according to him, he is always right. My mother always told us not to ask Daddy things until after dinner. It works for Tommy, too.

      Delete
  5. Daddy- can't get over grown ups using that term, such a southern thing. The right light is important for good vision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Daddy". I know it is a cultural thing. In my head, and this is just me-no disrespect intended, I hear a child using daddy, or mommy. It just is not used in the north past very young ages-probably by the time kids start school, they just say dad, or my dad. I remember being at a 4-H exchange in Texas, and seeing these large, hulking cowboys refer to their father as "daddy", and we Minnesota kids were really caught of guard. Wouldn't the world be boring if we all used the same turns of speech, and didn't have variety in the English language? There's a blog post in this!

      Delete
    2. Oh, I was looking for a strange word. Yes, men who are great-grandfathers still speak of "Daddy." People often use words Southerners use to infantilize us or make us seem less sophisticated. We just consider the source. No disrespect intended. LOL SAM, I know you meant no harm.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...