Monday, April 5, 2021

Easter Meal and Easter Outifts Long Ago

On Friday, I baked 6 sweet potatoes. We ate1 each on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I ate my sweet potato with a bit of butter, nothing else. Tommy had no butter on his. I seve them in the skin. 

On Saturday, I made a small green bean casserole. We ate half on Saturday and half on Sunday. 

On Sunday, I made cole slaw. And, I made a sort of glaze for the piece of ham and shoved it into the oven. I could not figure out where the brown sugar was so I used 2 Tbsp honey, 3 Tbsp real maple syrup, and a tsp of yellow mustard. Tommy was concerned about what I was using but thought the ham tasted fine. 

If you are keeping up, for Easter meal we had ham, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, and slaw. We had no bread or pasta salad since we don't need those carbs. 

Our meal was sort of like a progressive dinner, only different. It progressed from little each day to a full meal on Easter. 

I could never had gotten all that on the table if I had cooked it on Sunday. Yes, I hurt that bad and am that exhausted all the time. It was delicious. We still have half the slice of ham for another day. I can make another green bean casserole, another small one. I will bake more sweet potatoes and we have slaw leftover. 

When I was a child, we wore little bonnets, sometimes straw for Sundays and especially on Easter. I remember a pale blue dotted swiss Easter dress I had when I was about seven.  

Easter morning may be a little chilly at church time. Since I had cute, new pastel home sewn dresses for my girls, I hated to ruin the precious look with a coat or jacket. I had winter coats that were only for church for them and very dressy, but I did not want that, especially when the coat would not be needed, most likely, by afternoon. To be frank, I wanted pastels and spring clothes. I know--shallow. 

But this problem was solved. I bought the first daughter a white, crocheted cape with fringe and arm/hand holes/slits. Do you remember those? Do stores still carry these? The white cape went with everything. And, my girls wore it other Sundays than Easter. The one I bought my first daughter was rather long but she soon grew into it and out of it. That year I got her a larger cape, the younger daughter was ready to wear the first cape. She was proud to wear her sister's cape. They both had white, dressy sweaters, so if it were too cold, I was prepared to have them wear a sweater over their dresses and then the cape over that. Oh, if it were that chilly, white tights were necessary, too, not the white socks with lace and colored embroidery. 

Tommy said he and his brother wore blue and white seersucker suits every year with the short seersucker pants, and a tie. He said girls wore a pink or white sweater. 

What do you remember about your Easter clothes or those of your children. Do you remember the white knit or crochet capes with fringe? 

Okay, I have lost the little tip that plugs into  my laptop and the power cord, so I will be back when I find it or buy another one. Just comment and I will answer sometime...lol.

18 comments:

  1. I had only boys and they wore John-john's and English sandals until their legs were no longer cute chubby little boys legs, then they graduated to shorts and a polo until they were about 10. After that it was khakis white shirt, tie and navy blazer through high school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      My son wore John-johns, too, until he demanded a belt and pockets, at about 4-yrs-old. Those were cute little boy days.

      Delete
  2. I grew up in east Texas and Easter was usually warm so we didn’t need sweaters.
    I do remember hats and gloves, new shoes and dresses sewn by mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhonda,
      Easter is usually warm in the South, but mornings can be cool for little girls in very light-weight dresses, so sweaters or capes. I forgot we wore gloves, too. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. I wore a dress made of tweed and it was very itchy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like green bean casserole. it always tastes like a holiday
    I had no Easter garments alas. We got dressed up for church which never felt good to do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo.
      Green bean casserole does taste like a holiday to me, too. It makes Tommy happy. Little boys never like dressing up for Sunday.

      Delete
  5. I was born in New York and Easter was a pretty big deal back in the '50s. My parents didn't often take pictures of us kids but for some reason they did on Easter. I seem to usually have a coat on. And a hat. Oh, how I love that classic style of dressing. I don't want to offend but I am thoroughly sick of stretch pants on females from two to 100. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I lived in the South and Easter was a big deal here, too. However, I don't think I have an Easter picture. A hat was necessary...lol. Some of the pants are a bit too tight. I am not a fan of wearing tight pants!

      Delete
  6. My mom crocheted many of those capes! She was quite talented and even crocheted dresses for my 2 daughters. I don't think my son had a suit though until his senior photos but he did have a couple of nice blazers. The grandsons had saddle oxfords when they were young and I think my son had a couple of pair. Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan,
      That would be such a special item made by your mother. I had to buy crocheted dresses! My son had blazers, too. I did not like saddle oxfords, so never got him a pair. The memories do put smiles in our faces and hearts.

      Delete
  7. By the time I came around, momma and daddy were a bit better off than they had been when my siblings were young. (They were 18, 17, and 11 when I was born - Oops!) So my Easter outfits were probably just a bit fancier than there's were. Plus, as I got older, they all had jobs and bought me things, too.

    I always made sure that I had a pretty white sweater that my daughter could wear with anything. It's a classic, I think.

    Several years ago I went to church with this very dear older lady who NEVER bought a new dress for Easter or even really dressed up any more than usual. She said that might make those who didn't have money for those type things feel bad. That has stuck with me ever since and I've been more mindful of what I wear. I know of a couple of churches that intentionally dress down that day to make everyone feel welcomed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That happens with the younger kids! I was the oldest and lived all the leaner years. My daughters had the obligatory white sweaters, and they had a red one and plaid skirts to wear together.

      I think that is a good idea to not make people feel less than if they don't have new clothes to wear. It should be done more often.

      Delete
  8. Oh I had the same white Cape with the hand holes and the fringe. But mine had gold colored buttons down the front. I always wore it with the buttons done. I loved those capes as kid. I never see anyone wearing those anymore. I also remember our Easter dresses always came with matching coats in case it was cold. I live in New England so we sometimes had snow on Easter. And how about the little white gloves too !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My girls' capes had white buttons and I had them buttoned up, too. I have not seen one in ages. I suppose some had coats, but I never made coats to match the dresses I made. And, i never had a coat, either. I am quite sure in New England that it is colder than here. I loved the little white gloves, but i suppose little girls don't wear those anymore.

      Delete
  9. You sound like you had a lovely Easter lunch, even if you did have to build up to it day by day. I'm sorry that you're in such constant pain though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treaders. Building it up day by day is what I did. I hate the pain, too.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...