Thursday, April 8, 2021

 Since I needed to have lab work done for an upcoming doctor visit, I decided Tuesday was the perfect day to go to the lab. Well, these plans are worrisome things, apt to change for whatever reason. 

While washing my hair Tuesday morning, I got an inordinate amount of shampoo in my left eye. I grabbed a towel and used the towel, and obviously a few fingers, to wipe it out of my eye. I don't think I have ever felt so much pain in my eye from shampoo since I was a child. 

On the way up, I called a doctor with whom I had an appointment for an eye exam that day and they made me a medical appointment. Before I could have my aching eye seen, I had to have an eye exam. I passed with flying colors. I need an increased prescription. The macula has not wrinkled more. No signs of damage by diabetes was apparent. 

He tried repeatedly tried to turn my upper lid inside out. At one point he said,"If you keep your eye closed so tightly, I cannot turn the lid up." I was not aware of what I was doing. Having nothing to eat all day and having so many stabs that were all unsuccessful at the lab had drained me. 

First, I went to the lab where the young woman tried in vain to find a vein that did not roll away or blow out. I think she put five holes in me in vain. The vein she spent so much time twisting and turning the needle had a big bruise the next morning. She had to throw away the two vials. We made plans for Wednesday. 

I thought I could have nothing to eat or drink! No, I could have water. So, I was dehydrated. Plus, I took a diuretic on Monday. So, I was just dry as a bone. 

On Wednesday, I went straight to the lab as I did on Tuesday. I think she made four stabs, getting blood from two veins for five vials. I left with both arms in bandages. I was shaking. We got a burger and I just managed to make my appointment with the dentist for a crown. Plus, it was apparent that a bit of filling had fallen off. Well, it had not. I was told I had an appointment for a cleaning. I was so confused and tired. Plus, the tech for cleaning needed about 15 minutes to get to me. I just had to leave. I will make appointment for the cleaning and crown. 

I am not fond of dental appointments or blood draws. My veins rolled away on Wednesday. And, I had to fast after midnight two nights in a row. Oh, I was having palpitations all day and had not slept much on Monday or Tuesday night.  It all took its toll on me. 

Thursday, it should rain all day, and I will stay home! Tommy took down the plastic eggs from the tree in front. A woman visiting across the street said the children really enjoyed the tree. 

Thursday, I made a nice dinner to make up for the dinner of peas and hotdog on Wednesday. 

Does the phlebotomist/nurse have trouble drawing your blood? Putting in an IV? 

14 comments:

  1. One of my bucket list items is to die with my veins intact. :-)
    Happily I still have good ones, so blood draws are not difficult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      I did nothing to make my veins this way. Only when I was 21 and had to have blood draws did I discover this. The ones not used ever just rolled away. The doctors and nurses were frustrated. This is why I saved blood draws from 3 doctors and had them all done at once, having 13 vials filled from one needle in one vein.

      Delete
    2. They usually have a pretty easy time getting blood from me. except once when I had been sick for a few days with cdif, and I was too dehydrated. Mostly I have to watch that they or I hold pressure where they took the blood from or it keeps bleeding enough to stain my clothes.

      Delete
    3. susie,
      I have learned my lesson about being dehydrated. I do bleed a bit. Yesterday, I bled a lot. Not sure why.

      Delete
  2. With me sometimes, yes. I call it mining. But I make sure to have plenty to drink before I go in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have found that a good phlebotomist makes all the difference. Of course usually one has no choice. I used to always get one in training, but the last few years they seem to be using more experienced people where I go, at least for the old folks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole,
      She is good! But, I had taken a diuretic on Monday, then on Wednesday, I thought I could not drink water as well as eat before the draw. Silly me. I was so tired. I specifically wanted this person as she had done extremely well the last two times.

      Delete
  4. My husband has lots of medical issues and gets blood draws every few months. He will ask for a new person if the person trying can’t get it after 3 tries. So ask for a new person or a new lab to go to, you need someone experienced. This isn’t rocket science for for folks like my husband and you, you need someone experienced.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oltmans,
    She was the only one there! Yes, I do ask for another person, usually. She is experienced but I never want anyone learning on me. I have had it happen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was a medical assistant who was also taught phlebotomy. It is a difficult skill and only gets better with practice. When I worked in my first clinic I would only try on men with great big fat veins. I would call over the more experienced MAs for anyone else. Luckily that was the only clinic I worked in that drew their own blood. Most clinics now send you to a lab.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I was in a doctor's office that could not get blood. In a few minutes an older woman came in and drew blood quickly. She scared me though because she stabbed it in my arm at almost a 45 degree angle and in far, too. but, she got blood. I always show phlebotomists where that little spot is that is soft and you can barely see the deep vein. LabCorp had sent her over to the doctor's office.

      The office that needs this blood has someone to draw it, but she was hesitant, frustrated with ME, and not in a good mood. So, I have him give me the orders and I take them to LabCorp. I just refuse to be a guinea pig!

      Delete
  7. roll, break, disappear ...my veins are so bad they couldn't even get blood from my finger tip and fasting makes it worse. Dehydration... I just pass out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      It sounds like your veins are about as useful as mine somedays. Oh, I bleed from finger but not sure about during dehydration. I feel like I am going to pass out when dehydrated, but have not so far.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...