Friday, April 9, 2021

First Bicycle

 Tommy and I were watching "Frasier" where Niles and Frasier learn as grown men to ride bikes. I told Tommy I got my first bike on my sixth birthday. I asked him when he got his first bike. 

Unbelievably, he said he was a senior in high school. That was shocking as I knew they could well afford a bike when he was younger. And, they were kind, caring parents. Well, this led to more shocking revelations. His father did not want Tommy and his brother, one year younger, to ride bikes because he was afraid a car would hit one of them. 

I thought this was bizarre. However, he had ridden the bikes belonging to friends. But, he was always blocks away at a friend's house. He rode in the street and never died. I was amazed that he never had a bike until he mowed yards in high school and saved his money to purchase a bike. 

He then told me his father bought Tommy and his one-year younger brother shotguns when they were ten and eleven. I was shocked! However, Tommy said they had been shooting his pistol and over and under rifle/shotgun since Tommy had started school. I was reeling with all this. 

The story I was telling Tommy was that I fell off my bike one day and hurt myself so badly that I left the bike in the big rocks in the road and walked home, crying loudly. The street was in a paved area, but it was a loop off the main road and had no pavement. The rocks were irregular and the size of golf balls or larger. It really hurt to fall off into that road. Daddy had to go get my bike from the road. 

As a teen, I loved to ride my bike along a country road. I would ride fast and loved the wind in my hair. When I was pregnant the first time, I rode on the isolated area along a road of a not fully developed area. When I went to the doctor for pregnancy checks, he told me my neighbors told him I was on my bike when I was eight months along. He said they told him to tell me to quit riding a bike. I asked him if he thought I should quit and he said he did not think so. I rode my bike until the week before I gave birth.  

My first bike was pink and I got it for a birthday present when I was six. All four of my younger siblings learned on my little pink bike. I never got another new bike, but did get a used bike that Daddy painted blue. I rode that bike into my 30s. 

When did you or your child or sibling get a first bike? Tell me your bike stories if you will. Did you ever fall and hurt yourself?



22 comments:

  1. Isn't that strange that they got guns but not bikes. It's a different way of life isn't it. Each to his own I guess. I remember my colleague and his wife going out bike riding on her due date!!! Again, as I say, each to his own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treaders,
      I was aghast. He explained that his father trusted them with a bike but was afraid of drivers not being careful. He trusted them to use a gun as he said, so his father was not against them owning one. I know, still strange. But, that is why he could have a gun and not a bike.

      Delete
  2. Okay, prepare yourself for another shock. I never had a bike and I never learned how to ride a bike. I blame it mostly on poverty. Some people say “we were poor, but I didn’t know it.” I knew it. The other part was fear of falling off and getting hurt in the process of learning. I didn’t want to do that. Then I was too old to care anybody more or perhaps too embarrassed to admit it and face ridicule. I can’t swim either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rhymes,
      Too bad you never had a bike. But, I understand. You could still learn to swim enough to save your life. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  3. I got my first bike at age 6. It was sparkly purple with the basket on the handlebars with the flowers on them. The year was...1969 and I remember that bike like it was yesterday. I still ride, I have a aqua womens bike with matching helmet. I love to bike ride. My RA prevents me from riding a lot now, but I will never get rid of my bike !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unknown,
      Good for you! Mine was not sparkly and gotten in 1952. I hope you can ride it for a long time, if only for a bit. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. I was also about 6 when I got my first bike. My kids were even younger, with smaller bikes with training wheels, though my dd learned to ride without at about 3 or 4!....big brother took them off and taught her on the grass, following behind haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big brothers help, even big sisters. The younger ones can learn sooner than the older sometimes.

      Delete
  5. I got my first bike when I was five, then got a used bike when my sister was 5 so we could both ride. The year we were 8 and 9 we got adult size bikes, even though it was still too big for my sister and she had to continue to ride the used bike for a bit longer until she grew into it. I had my bike until my freshman year in college when some #*&^%(@ stole it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      It is good you were close enoough to ride together. Too bad about the theft. I really hate a thief, especially when the loss is something like a childhood bike. Mine was precious. Thanks.

      Delete
  6. I grew up in a small town in Connecticut (there were more cows than people!). When I was maybe 6 my best friend and I were given permission to ride our bikes to the candy store (maybe a mile and a half away). My friend's mother was going to wait a few minutes and then follow us to make sure we were okay.

    I was going down a hill and I hit a patch of sand and skidded sideways. Scraped myself up pretty badly, but I jumped right back on because I didn't want to not be able to ride to the store again!

    I'm still riding (at 62) - but now I brake while going downhill because I'm afraid of going too fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bobbie,
      That was young to be riding that far, but I am glad you thought to get up so you could continue to ride to the store. It was a good lesson you learned early without too much pain--don't go too fast! Thanks for the story.

      Delete
  7. I never really learned to ride a bike as a child grew up in the country and we walked everywhere or some kid would have a mini bike (small off road motorcycle) As an adult I tried a mountain bike but never got the hang of it. Our friend gave me and my husband ten speeds (used) about 13 years ago. I got on mine and promptly fell off the other side. I rode it around the block and that was it. Never road it again and years later sold it at a yard sale. My husband still has his and rides it. The same friend and his wife had a 3 wheeled adult trike and I said Oh, I have always wanted one and they gave it to me because she never rides it. I love it and am looking forward to riding it in the evenings with my husband on his bike around where we live. Not on main streets. I feel much safer on it with three wheels and have a little basket in back. I would like a little bell to ring on it some day. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal,
      That is sort of funny about falling off the other side. The three-wheeler can be dangerous if the one wheel is in the front. Be careful not to turn too sharp or let that front wheel get into a hole. I have heard the three-wheeler with two wheels in front is safer. But, I have no experience with either. Where are the two wheels on yours. It is nice to hear from you.

      Delete
    2. One wheel in the front and two in the back. I still take turns easy and slow down. Also watching if there is a dip in the road don't want to hit that. I am not a daredevil as I like being in one piece. lol. Going to Oregon in about 3 weeks to pick up my son's ashes and his stuff. Will stay with my mom and she said we will go to the Oregon coast for a few days. It's been years since I have been there and I love it. So peaceful. Take care.

      Delete
    3. Crystal,
      I am glad you are cautious because people get hurt on 3-wheeler bikes. I hope you have a pleasant (as it can be) and uneventful trip. Enjoy the peaceful coast.

      Delete
  8. I had some terrible bike wrecks as a kid. I also was riding on the front of a bike and got my foot suck in the spokes and it cut clear down to the bone. Took months to heal. Never did that again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      I only had the one, but getting your foot caught in the spokes sounds horrific.

      Delete
  9. I rode a bike alot as a child and then when my kids were teens I wanted to try it again, I can still hear my kids telling me NO NO but I did and crashed into a tree. Didn't get too hurt but never rode a bike again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann,
      I had to laugh at the kids telling you NO. My daughter ran into the shrubs and continued on to hit the house.

      Delete
  10. The only time I have broken something was a wrist break falling off my bike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      Too bad. My son rode his bike with a broken arm! But, he broke it skating.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...