Saturday, April 17, 2021

Shotgun Houses

 Some days, when I go into the refrigerator, I can barely tell what is in there. But, sometimes I go look and everything is organized. Tommy gets in there and really does a good job making it neat and where we can find things. It is always surprising to find an organized refrigerator. 

Today, my ear is not hurting but my throat does not fee normal. The top of my shoulder is not quite as stiff or sore. I put a cream on the shoulder last night and today that is for the age-related arthritis in foot and thumb. It seems to have helped. Lying down helps, too. I put a wet and hot washcloth in a plastic bag and wrapped in a handtowel and applied it to my shoulder. And, I have napped. That seems to help since I don't have to hold up my head...lol. 

The day is brilliant and sunny with temps in low 70s, so it is a wonderful day. We took a ride and took the rest of a pie to the park. I used a plastic spoon to cut and drag out a piece for each of us on paper plates we took with us.  We prudently threw the rest of the pie in the dumpster. The price was right to bring it home, but we do not need a whole pie, EVER. 

Before we left, we watched Mighty Joe Young...fabulous film. At 11 pm we will watch Mogambo, another great movie. 

I forgot to thaw anything, so it seemed like a good Whopper day. However, I wanted chicken and real food, the vegetables I have to prep. I will put the chicken, carrots, potatoes, and onions on a pan in the oven. Talking about makes me hungry, ravenous, actually. 

We took a ride in Bessemer and saw shotgun houses. The only SHOTGUN HOUSE I have ever seen was singly and dilapidated. One day we saw six in pristine condition. Of course, we never saw inside. They were all painted the same gray color. The yards were immaculate, just grass. So, we figure one person owns them and maintains them as rentals. 

Today, we saw three and not all the same and in poor condition. Bessemer is a city with huge homes, historic ones. It is an interesting drive. 

So, I need to go in and check the package of chicken thawing a pan of water, get Tommy to scrape carrots, and I need to peel potatoes and slice onions. 

Have you had a beautiful Saturday?  Have you ever seen a shotgun house?

18 comments:

  1. Okay tell me, what are Shotgun houses?... We had a nice morning this Saturday. The weather here in SC is PERFECT.. high 60's and sunny.. Our town had their annual yard sale where they cordon off a few blocks and people and stores come out to sell their wares. I didn't buy much just a couple treasures that I'll share on my blog next week. Then we went to the local nursery because my birthday is tomorrow and I wanted a couple trees and plants.

    Dinner was easy tonight. I made a seasoned pork tenderloin, with red skinned mashed potatoes and some carrots... As for tonight, I'm pretty much exhausted from all the walking we did today so I am snuggled in bed reading some blogs..

    hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A shotgun house is about 12 feet wide, with 3-5 rooms, and a door in one end and another door in the other end, no hall, just rooms lined up, straight roof.

      The yard sale and nursery sound like a wonderful way to start a birthday. Roast pork tenderloin sounds tasty. I wish I were in bed, but supper needs cooking.

      Delete
  2. No shotgun houses around here that I now of. Single wide mobile homes are the closest thing to shotgun houses I’ve ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhonda,
      Is there a door on each end of the mobile home? Shotgun houses are the same shape but not the same at all.

      Delete
  3. Yes, there are many shotgun houses in Chicago. I always lived in the suburbs but had neighbors from the city and visited their family homes. It's a rainy day today so maybe I'll get motivated to finishing up my April notes. Next month it's back to visiting my clients in their homes so that will be nice. I'll still be masked but I can actually observe what's going on at least at that time. My sis and I are planning a visit to see little sis in Myrtle Beach soon. We're both looking forward to that although she likes to 'run' and we're both home bodies LOL. I can always stay at home with my nephews and the gals put me to work baking. My sisters are 10 and 20 years younger than I am- 3 boys in the family too although my youngest brother died at age 19 in a motorcycle wreck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan,
      Rainy days are great for finishing up chores. Oh, so you have been inside a shotgun house? I never have. Going back to homes will be like first day of school, exciting. That is a large difference in ages! So, there must be six children with a large age difference. Sorry about the brother.

      Delete
  4. I don't believe I have ever seen a shotgun house. They sound like they are homes on the smaller size?

    I smiled about Tommy organizing the refrigerator and you finding it that way. I am always pleased when my husband does anything around the house without me asking. A nice surprise! Take care and have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal,
      I put in a link. Yes, they are very small. I thanked him profusely, yet no one thanks me for what I do.

      Delete
    2. Isn't that the truth. Women just seem to do the work that needs doing. Very rarely a thank you. Men would learn a good thing if they were taught to thank women for these things. lol

      Delete
    3. Crystal,
      Don't you know it is "our job?" Okay, then where is my pay? Thanks and acknowledgement go a long way!

      Delete
  5. I had to google shotgun houses. Intriguing style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treaders,
      Intriguing is true. They have been houses of the poor for a long time. Originally, there was no plumbing.

      Delete
  6. I think shotgun houses are interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I was a kid there were a ton of shotgun houses around town. I guess most were torn down to make way for new construction.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alas that times as they are when I saw the headline I thought something ominous had occurred. I have not seen such as house. An organized fridge is a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In these times I can see how you thought that. Follow the link if you want to see a shotgun house on Wikipedia. I am happy to see he has organized it. Bending is just so difficult for me.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...