Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Strawberries and Two Pennies

 Dinner on Monday night was a ground chicken burger with feta cheese and red bell peppers, slaw, and tomatoes. I diced two three inch tomatoes on top of the slaw. The burger was delicious. We decided not to put it in a deli bun since we had brownies, too. Dinner involved putting the burgers in the oven and mixing slaw and dicing tomatoes. I could handle that much "work."  I think I might try to make some. 

I had bought slaw mix. But, when I mentioned slaw, Tommy told me he found  part of  a bag, so I used that Monday night. If he had not found it, I would have opened a new one and wasted the old one.  So, it is finished.

Finally, even though I was weak, I did exercises, two 30 second sets. It just about killed me. It was not hard, just made me faint and weak. 

Tuesday

Tommy got up earlier and showered. I got up at 8:30, washed my hair, and we were out the door by 9:05.  My hair is dry by the time we get there. When we got to Cullman, I was so anxious to get my birds. I paid for them and then realized they were wrong. Then, to the PO. I returned the birds and got a note saying I had paid and they needed to be fixed. 

I went to my lot and found a hose from the house next door to my yard. WHAT? Last week, there was a gas can and a load of rotten wood. The week before that, the guy decided to use my yard for his own and had parked his car in my driveway. I really don't know what it takes to make him understand this is my yard not his. Okay, maybe I am overly sensitive, but I have had so much stolen from my yard. Plus, this family always pushes boundaries. I dragged his hose to the road. 

At the farmer's market, I found strawberries for $16/gal. Yes, we bought a gal. They are the best and sweetest strawberries I have ever had since I was a teen and we bought strawberries from Alabama. This guy is my favorite farmer, the one who grows sweet potatoes. He told me why these were so sweet, juicy and red all the way through. He is a great guy, a great farmer! 

We started eating strawberries and came home with fewer strawberries...lol. These were sandy, of course. But, we did not let that stop us. So, now I need to get out the colander and wash them well, and trip top. Tommy only leaves the green leaves. I do leave a bit more. 

The main reason we went today was so I could pick up more records to save me paying $175/hour to attorney. Well, the word was the records would be brought to Cullman so I did not have to drive a 130 one-way trip to Huntsville. But, the records were not there. Later, I got the news that a courier had been sent with my records. We were getting on the interstate in 5 minutes, so this was good news. 

When Tommy got out to pump gas, I saw a penny and got out to get it. He had stepped right over without seeing it. However, the penny he saw was close by. He has to hold onto the luggage rack to walk around the car. At the back of the car, he just leans on the tailgate. I DID offer to pump it. 

So, we arrived here about 4:15.

Do you grow sweet strawberries? Or, do you buy them from the market? How much do you love strawberries. 


8 comments:

  1. I tired growing them but the chipmunks ate all of them. I like strawberries but they are not my favorite berry., I prefer blueberries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      Chipmunks ate all my wild strawberries, too. While I do love blueberries, strawberries are the best to me. Since all my vegetables were eaten last year, I will have to fight them this year.

      Delete
  2. That's annoying about the neighbor putting garbage on your lot. Maybe a sign that says no trespassing? Or send him a certified warning letter that says you will be charging him for removal if he keeps using your lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      It is more than annoying! And, he had no idea. The stuff was about 25 feet from the road. I told him in a sarcastic tone that I doubted anyone drove that far up my driveway to dump trash. These people are vindictive. But, I will have to do something before it is over.

      Delete
  3. I love strawberries, but we do not get good ones here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      Before I found these, they were all bitter and not at all sweet and white inside!

      Delete
  4. I used to grow strawberries and I used to love them so.
    The ones around here are not very tasty and allegedly full of nasty chemicals so I stopped buying them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      I am eating them by the bowlsful, so I hope nothing nasty! ugh

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...