Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Strawberry Fields Forever and Rivers and Second Vaccine

 Dinner Tuesday night was sliced, baked chicken, sweet potato, cabbage. Getting two sweet potatoes into the oven was the hardest part. 

I finally got all the strawberries capped, washed, and sliced. Now, there is a huge bowl of strawberries ready to eat, freeze, or cook. 

Tuesday night, I did not get enough sleep but was happy I slept four hours. I wanted to get up and 8:30 and leave by 9 AM. But, unfortunately, I awoke at 7:30 and, left by 9 AM.

We had plans for Wednesday: 

*Get second Covid vaccine. 

*Pick up lunch at church.

*Eat in park at lake with friends.

Attend a lecture about rivers  under a pavilion. 

Well, as I left the house, I turned back to get  a sweater. It was frigid, cloudy and so blustery. When I got into the car, I told Tommy I was doing nothing outdoors, that if we could not hear the lecture from the car, we would just miss it. Or, he could get out and I would sit in the car. And, we were not sitting at the lake with friends. He had not even brought a light coat! 

We both now have the second vaccine. The woman pushed me right in to the table to get the vaccine. It was over in 45 seconds or less. I did not even feel the needle go in. Tommy had to walk the length of the building pushing his walker. When he finally arrived, it was time for me to leave, the end of my 15 minutes to wait for a reaction. 

We had plenty of time to get to the church as it is right near the hospital. So, we headed over to the site for the lecture--Peinhardt Living Heritage Farm. We were able to pull right to the pavilion. With both windows down and the guy using a handheld microphone, neither of us had trouble hearing. Lectures are right up my alley. Tommy like them, too. 

We both took our walkers out to walk in the pavilion and talk and browse. Tommy does not spend money on books, but bought one here--Alabama Rivers--A Celebration and Challenge. So did I.  Right now, he is reading. 

There was a table with items for sale. I chose a turtle that looks like it is carved from stone. Plants were on sale, 1/2 off. Now, I have the Hosta I want. Both items were a total of $3. I think this must have been the remains of a garage sale. 

The friends we were meeting had a pair of wooden birds for me. We picked up those and talked for a minute. By this time, the sun was coming out.

THEN, I asked to go to the farm to buy more strawberries. It is a long way, but he was okay with it. The sweet potato farmer directed me to go the strawberry field where they were picking. The farmer's kid got us a fresh basket, we paid and were on our way. This added another 20 miles to the trip home.

On the way back through town, we dropped off the papers for the attorney. 

The clouds were almost all gone and the sun shone brightly the rest of the trip. Of course, we ate strawberries on the way home. We are happy people. 

Others have complained about the cold, but we got it today. Today, a package was on the porch when we arrived. I got a new blanket as it was on sale 50% off. The trouble is the blanket is foam, sort of. It is Vellux. I can barely stand to touch it. Tommy was sort of surprised it was foam. It feels yucky, but maybe it will not touch me with the sheet between me and the blanket. 

After feeling ill, coughing, and running temp, I awoke feeling like I was okay with no fever or cough. But, I knew I had been sick. I went to get the second vaccine and eight hours later feel only a bit where the needle went in. I will get a test to see if I made antibodies after a few weeks, whenever my doctor says to do so.

Have you ever had a vellux blanket, with brushed nylon over foam? Are you as cold as I am? 

12 comments:

  1. I am glad to hear you got your vaccine. good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought one of those blankets and returned it...couldn’t stand the way it felt ;(. Glad your second shot went well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oltmans,
      I fear that may be the case. Thanks. Now, I won't feel like it is just me.

      Delete
  3. It is NOT just you. I can't bear any blankets or synthetic bedding. It simply doesn't breathe. I have to have 100% cotton sheets, and a down comforter with a 100% cotton cover, and only white. I also make patchwork quilts, which I back with 100% cotton, to add color. I also can't bear polyester or fleece nightclothes. I sleep in white, 100% cotton short nightgowns. I prefer flannel or terrycloth bathrobes, but DD bought me a fleece one for Christmas which I don't mind for wearing over a nightgown in the evening or morning, but I could never, ever bear to sleep in the fabric.
    I am typically cold during the day, but hot at night. I like it about 55 degrees Fahrenheit for sleeping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg,
      I remember you are pretty particular, but not so much I am not in agreement. I cannot stand to sleep in nylon! I do not have a bathrobe because I have not found one I can stand to wear. Right now, we are having a "discussion" because Tommy has the heat on because he is cold and I am so hot that my face is hot. He only has on underwear! He finally turned it down a bit.

      Delete
  4. I have never like the feel or flexibility of those blankets. Give me a good old fashioned quilt any day! Glad you could finally get your second vaccine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ladybug,
      That is the problem! I remember quilts and this one i bought is not cuddly or thick or heavy enough! My arm is a bit sore, but I am not ill from the vac.

      Delete
  5. I do NOT like the texture of those type of blankets. I thought it was just me.

    And yes, I'm COLD! I'm ready for warm, beautiful weather. Monday night I had a heated throw over my side of the bed to warm it up a bit before I went to bed that night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      From my blog readers who are talking, it seems we are not alone. I just about gagged touching it to put it on the bed.

      Delete
  6. Oh I don't like the texture of those kinds of blankets.. I need cozy soft...Im glad you were able to feel better after getting the vaccine.. It sounds like you had a nice day there despite the cold... The cold has arrive here in my part of SC as well. Last night we were in the upper 30's, tonight too and today it's WINDY and 50.. Too cold to do anything outside..

    We also have a place called the Henry L Paul Living Farm and they do all kinds of exhibits and things when the weather is warm. It's all about farming from 1900 up to 1950's. We plan on going to some things there this year..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robyn,
      This blanket is nasty. Soft and cuddly is exactly what I am looking for.

      Peinhart Living Farm with hundred year old or more buildings. They have a day where they open it up and have all sorts of old-fashioned things going on. I love going there. My friends are some of the people allowed to set up and sell. I love it.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...