Monday, May 31, 2021

Memorial Day

The ribs went into the oven about 6 pm. We had ribs, slaw, corn on the cob. I had two deviled eggs and Tommy had baked beans. The day was quiet around here. 

Earlier, I put color on my hair, and reveled in clean hair! I had been putting off the hair color for two days, so my hair was nasty. 

Last week, two of my high school 1964 classmates died. The girl I cannot remember. The guy was nice and funny and everyone liked him. 

The third person died Saturday night and was a professor and eventually a friend. I went to parties at her house for over 20 years--Thanksgiving Dinner, Christmas party, Christmas Open House, Easter, Fourth of July block party every year. Halloween a couple of times, various educational meetings about sociology, her field. A bunch of us had yard sales at her house in Southside catty corner from Lorino's. I was included in groups that were mostly professors. I have many fond memories of her--intelligent, brave, funny. She died with dementia. 

I saw the dementia in about 1995. Folks, it starts well before it is identified. Her husband died about five years ago of vascular dementia.

I do so much appreciate the men who died while ensuring I could be free today. 

2 comments:

  1. Your dinner sounds so good. So sorry to hear of your losses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori,
      Thanks, it was good and did not exhaust me. The last death was the hardest of all.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...